Well ive been playing guitar for about a year now, I don't really have money or anything so i cant afford a decent guitar, amp or multi effects(pedal(s)).
But i have been practicing a lot

I made 2 videos the otherday of me playing about 8am (hadn't been to bed all night so was shattered) and i was also nervous playing on camera.. So i did mess up a few times.. Way more than normal but still it shows some length to what i can do.

P1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0Oo5TD-HQ
P2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz_EKieknb4

I need some opinions; thoughts; tips; improvements i need/could do with.
(Also with the little money i have i bought a digitech RP50 thats still to arrive, im most likely going to have to wait to use it though due to the fact im not sure if it comes with an extra lead as it doesn't list it anywhere so ill have to end up spending the last of my money on another 1/4inch jack cable no doubt -_-).
Anyway please help me =]
because i was tired and nervous.. lol. Muting is something i have a problem with, it either sounds too muted that the string just makes a bumping sound, don't know what you mean by clean notes but my guitar does fret buzz quite often. and whats stretching?
do you have a set schedule on what you do daily when you pick up the guitar.... if you dont you need a schedule saying what to practice and how long you should practice ... like 15 minutes on music theory...10 minutes on finger gym techniques.... 30 minutes transcribing...etc

when you practice... you should try to work on specific techniques...example.... seek and destroy intro....you are supposed to hammer on and pull off...you didnt... you need to practice that.

your playing is very sloppy...you need to slow down on the playing so you can get cleaner...use a metrodome...

i know that you say that you dont have money and that your guitar gear is cheap but i am sure you can come up with a better tone than that....you can start improving the tone by lay off on the gain.... too much gain.... i hate it when people get a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal and turn the gain up to the max.... thats just lazy...
alternate picking(find the video from paul gilberts intense rock. its helped me lots. should still be on youtube.). use pinky(four fingers, four frets etc). also your pinky curls back alot when youre not using it. that could potentially cause cramps during playing try to eliminate that. muting.

also slowing things down and usig metronome are must. slow things ALOT
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jun 30, 2009,
I usually play well in time when i play alongside the track and when im well focused. I do hammer on, on the seek and destroy intro.. basically strum 7 hammer on 8 pull off 7 strum 0 do 7h8p7 next string. then 87,57,57 (commas mark string change for typing this fast). i only alternate picking when i cant strum fast enough regularly, other than that its a pain doing it because it messes up my timing unless i specifically alternate for fast parts and triplets.

I mostly just download tabs and start playing ever since i started guitar, other than half theory which i learn time to time and used to learn a lot by watching metal method.

About the gain thing, my amp doesn't even have that.
all it has is volume, really sucky overdrive switch, treble and bass. Hence why i bought a digitech rp50. it would solve most of those problems with my sound. the guitar itself can produce a nice clean sound. Its like a ESP LTD MH-50 but with a crappy neck.

I know i curl my pinkie up a lot but i rarely ever play a song that i need to utilise my pinky in
or rather i can play it more effectively without using it, since my pinky is the weakest of my fingers i only really use it when i play guitar hero, or when im playing chords or 4 fret+ hammeron/pulloffs or distance hammer ons and stuff. like in the day that never comes "0h5h8 0h5h8 0h5h8 0h5h7 0h5h7 0h4h7 0h4h7 0" etc
well then work on your hammer ons and pull offs because it sounds like you just pick every note... and seriously...work on the tone....its ****ty.... im just trying to help you out...im not trying to be an ass
Personally I don't use that much treble even for Metallica.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
the guitar is ****ty, and the amp, plus it sounds Muuuch different if i pick the notes instead of hammer them on. Its because i do it well. If i do it badly it goes all muted which annoys me, which is my main problem with pull offs on more than 1 fret pull offs
you just need to practice hammer ons and pull offs.... dont give up on that just because its hard...
In addition to the comments above, you should also work on your dynamics. Different parts of the song were louder or softer for no reason. You have to learn which notes to accent, and how loud or soft to play certain parts.
thx for the help guys. I know i need to improve on my pull offs, hammer ons only slightly, timing and perfectionism and dynamics and palm muting too. But it would be much easier if i had a better guitar lol. my bridge which is like ESP LTD MH-50s bridge (i don't know the name of this kind of bridge) but basically the bridge became displaced last night. it came off the braces which control its height on the surface. and with the force of the springs it came forward so i had to losen every string to put it back in place which only made things worse, in the end about 2-3 hours later of fiddling with the spring in the back using a wrench and my hand to force it all toghether i got it back in 1 piece, guitar seems fine.. but probably a sign i need a better one. =/ Shame i aint got money and jobs are almost impossible to get atm (and im 18 btw). But thanks for your help . Oh and pull offs are hard on my guitar since the action is so high so usually unless your fingers are very quick youll end up muting the note as you pull off.
got my rp50, its schweet. Anyone got a Smoke on the water Setting because i can't find any on the rp50 patches board :/
What amp do you have?
And did your distorted tone get any better? Post a vid showing it?

Btw, about the getting clean notes critique, it means you don't have good coordination (a lot of flubbed notes). You have to practice slowly and cleanly, getting the coordination perfect i.e., fretting right when you pick. Practicing sloppy will only teach you to play sloppy at a faster speed.
Check out these videos. Watch them in order, pay close attention to finger independence and muting.

And here are some other useful videos that will help you greatly if you pay attention and focus:
John Petrucci - Rock Discipline
Paul Gilbert - Intense Rock II (and other videos)

Other advice: Work with a metronome always. Learn to count beats, subdivide, all that. Play slowly.
Last edited by tenfold at Jul 1, 2009,
a squire SP-10 amp. I have a RP50 but im yet to find a decent distorted tone, i can't find a decent overdrive tone either, but i do get some pretty awesome acoustic sounds and fade to black sounds which sound great on the first 4 strings. But i need some settings for some overdrive and decent distorsion for metallica style songs. thanks for those vids btw.
Never do treble on 10 even if people tell you to in order to play Metallica :P
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by tenfold
What amp do you have?
And did your distorted tone get any better? Post a vid showing it?

Btw, about the getting clean notes critique, it means you don't have good coordination (a lot of flubbed notes). You have to practice slowly and cleanly, getting the coordination perfect i.e., fretting right when you pick. Practicing sloppy will only teach you to play sloppy at a faster speed.
Check out these videos. Watch them in order, pay close attention to finger independence and muting.

And here are some other useful videos that will help you greatly if you pay attention and focus:
John Petrucci - Rock Discipline
Paul Gilbert - Intense Rock II (and other videos)

Other advice: Work with a metronome always. Learn to count beats, subdivide, all that. Play slowly.

This is very good advice. Alot people playing the guitar go for speed and not accuracey. The best way is to go for accuracey first and then speed up but keep the accuracey. Also the timing advice is useful as well if your timing is spot on at lower speeds as you increase the speed you can stay in time better.

Another thing you might find useful is doing a setup on your guitar to lower the action if it is a bit high. This will make it easier to play faster but again it is whatever feels best to you.

Keep up the practice
i have lowered teh action but its still not low enough and the first 2-3 frets will buzz because its slightly curved at the top of the neck
also ive turned the truss rod to hell to be "looser" to curve the neck backwards (to lower the action) but now its so tight for some reason i cant easily move it anymore. Is this a sign that i just have a really bad neck (which i do, most of the frets are cut badly and the necks too thin as i mentioned before) Can anyone here give me tips on replacing the neck on my guitar, like what would go well with a esp LTD mh-50 tremolo style bridge (a neck with a bit more height on the fret board would be perfect as this current ones too low that the lowest my bridge will go still has quite some distance between the fret board, a higher fret board would give more customisation option.)