hai guys

I'm having trouble with working my alt picking runs up to snuff, with respects to accuracy and speed. I feel almost like I'm cheating a lot of the time because I rely on my legato for my speed playing, not because I want to but because I have to. And don't get me wrong, my legato sounds good and clean enough for me, but you just can't get the sound of alt picking from that. I just want to be able to run up and down the neck, vertically and horizontally. What I'm especially having trouble with is descending lines like this:

e - 20 19 17
B - - - - - 20 19 17 20 19 17
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 19 17 16 etc. down the neck
D - 
A - 
E - 

Here's what I appreciate if you didn't tell me: Practice/practice slowly. "So this means that to be able to play the guitar, I have to... play the guitar?" If you're gonna tell me to practice, I'd appreciate it if you gave me some ideas on what to practice. Please don't tell me to do 1-2-3-4 or variations of that because I already do. And please don't tell me that speed is a byproduct of accuracy, because I already realize that.

So any ideas? Thanks guys.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
i isolate one string and practice galloping on just those three notes for a while until i get confortable 20-19-17

then instead of doing the 3 note gallop on the one string ill double that one string up

and copy the same process
hope that makes sense i can upload a vid if you want me to show what i mean
The only thing that comes to mind right now is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-QdYMsr2XU&feature=fvw

AJ Minette from the Human Abstract.

Just start with one note a string, then move up to 2 notes a string, then 3 notes a string, and so forth.

After you practice that well enough with your alternate picking you can set it up and do exercises where you don't have consistent note patterns on all of the strings, so you can have a 3 note run on the high E, and a 6 note run on the B string like you show on the coded tab.

Also trying out the hybrid movements of the scales (Not completely Horizontal, not completely Vertical) but more of a mixture of both going through four octaves such as starting on F# (Low E 2nd Fret) and Ending up on the same note on the High E string on the 14th fret.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
if u can get your hands on the speed kills dvd or speed lives dvd and do all of that stuff you will find your skill increasing exponentially, seriously i did that alt picking stuff that he shows and now i can almost play any fast stuff that has alt picking without any problems
My pointless piece of advice for the day:

Do that kind of picking run a lot.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Sonicxlover
So any ideas? Thanks guys.

You've already given yourself the answers man, sorry to do exactly what you said not to but...

Suck it up and practice!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No shortcuts. Practice that kind of run till you're good at it.

Of course, if you have a specific problem, ie, the first note on a new string is always sloppy - then you break down that part, figure out the problem and fix that before returning to the whole lick.
Quote by ramm_ty
My pointless piece of advice for the day:

Do that kind of picking run a lot.

ramm where have you been, PM me or send me a msn message or something man.

and yeah best way to get better is by practice, start slowly, then build up
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Thanks there broskys.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X