Okay so i really hope this question isnt stupid but here i go anyway
i'm gonna be in jazz band at school next year and i need to know how to read music in standard notation the problem i have is that i know where the notes on the staff are but which string do i play it on and in which position........also if the notes at the 12th string and above are an octave higher then what would it look like on the staff
I really hope i wasnt just talking a bunch of jiberish i'm probly just making things a lot harder than what they acually are

BTW I'm self taught and there's no one i can go to help either
well usually anything above the staff that would need a ledger line (high A) will be put down an octave and it will display '8va' above the staff where that note is, alternately, if there is more than one note above the staff in a row, it will be notated "8va---|" and the line will extend the entire duration. Same rules apply to the 2 octave symbol "15ma"
Edit: apologies if that made no sense
Last edited by Knurlheim at Jun 30, 2009,
Knurlheim, I don't thing that is what the TS is asking.

Staff notation will not tell you what fret to use, only the note and it's length within the measure. You will need to firgure out for yourself were it's best to play that note, which string and which fret. You will want to look at the whole riff to dictate where to play the note in context of the riff.

For example, take the high B on the staff, that could be played in many different ways. On a standard tuned guitar, it could be played as:

All of those would still be the same high B note found at the top of the staff, but you will need to decide were on the fret board to play the note by what the rest of the notes will be.

Same applies to chords.

Sorry if I make no sense.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge...
            It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
            - Albert Einstein -
            Last edited by Bertallica at Jun 30, 2009,
            That helped out a lot ^_^
            thnx a million times over...i had to read that like a hundred times but eventually i got it
            THANK YOU
            LOL!!!!
            dude, it's the internet
            you mustve been really bored to comment on that
            plus it's the summer time so SCREW PERIODS COMMAS & QUESTION MARKS
            and god sux!

happy guitar playing
            Quote by GirlsMoshHarder
            Okay so i really hope this question isnt stupid but here i go anyway
            i'm gonna be in jazz band at school next year and i need to know how to read music in standard notation the problem i have is that i know where the notes on the staff are but which string do i play it on and in which position........also if the notes at the 12th string and above are an octave higher then what would it look like on the staff
            I really hope i wasnt just talking a bunch of jiberish i'm probly just making things a lot harder than what they acually are

BTW I'm self taught and there's no one i can go to help either

Here: http://musictheory.net/lessons/html/id10_en.html

This will help you.