alright, I bought my strat used and it had a hot rails in the bridge (pretty sure it is a hot rails) and when I first tested it it out before buying, it sounded like it should, high output with a good amount of bass. this was in February. my dad bought it without my knowledge. it was in the garage, in the backseat of a car, underneath seat cushions from patio furniture for 2 months until my birthday in april. When I played it in april, the pickup sounded thin and trebly. Even when I roll my tone knob all the way down, there is barely any change in the tone quality. Im tryin to figure out why it sounds this way now. I was hoping that someone could atleast give me an idea of what could be wrong with it.
Could it be you had it plugged into some monster amp at the store, but brought it home and are now playing it on a 5 watt (insert Wal - Mart brand here) amp?
Where do you live? Damn man, exposing a guitar to the kind of heat that's in a parked car is not good.
List your amps and the amps you've played the guitar through.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
first off, I live in Michigan, so in the time between February and April, it is anything but hot. Ok so I did play it through a 6505 at the store, and Im playing it through an old ampeg combo, with a DS1, but I have since played it through a high gain amp and it still has a lot of treble and minimal bass.
no, there are 2 tone knobs, on for the neck and one for both the middle and bridge Im pretty sure.
Quote by SupersonicJSX
no, there are 2 tone knobs, on for the neck and one for both the middle and bridge Im pretty sure.

Some strats have on for the neck and the other for the middle and bridge. Others have one for the neck and the other for the middle. I think most MIM strats use the latter. Try using the middle pickup and see if the tone changes. But it's probably that you tested it out on a 6505 two months ago. You probably don't even remember it that well. The current setup you're playing with does not compare at all to what you tested it out on.
yes, but I played it on a high gain amp again recently, and it didnt sound that great. Its a japanese strat. Im actually not sure now what tone knob does what. i'll have top play it tomorrow and i'll let you guys know.
Last edited by SupersonicJSX at Jun 30, 2009,
yeah, play around with the tone knobs with the neck pickup only and see if it does something. it's never really good to expose your guitar to extreme heat OR cold, so that might not have been great for it. but that would screw up the neck more than it would screw up a tone knob...
haha Yeah Michigan is probably a bit cooler than Florida.

Take it back to the store and try it with the same amp again. Make sure the settings are right.
the neck is fine, it was set up and has been played by many other people and the didnt say anything about it, and it wasnt I who put the guitar in the cold weather, my dad did, to hide it from me for 2 months. Just throwing that out there. Im probably just gonna have it looked at by Bob (the guy who runs andersons music on telegraph road, for any who know that and/or live in the metro detroit area).
I didn't find the Hot Rails in the bridge position to be bassy at all... just very screechy. But, if you really want, you can wire the hotrails to the tone knob for the middle pickup.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
oh well, maybe I just need a better amp. I only use it for metal tones. The other single coils on my guitar do everything else. They can great cleans, twang, blues, blues rock, classic rock and barely hard rock, but I cant push them any farther or else it just sounds bad. Thats why Im glad it had the Hot Rails on it. The Hot Rails probably need a powerful amp too sound best. Only a guess.
Quote by SupersonicJSX
oh well, maybe I just need a better amp. I only use it for metal tones. The other single coils on my guitar do everything else. They can great cleans, twang, blues, blues rock, classic rock and barely hard rock, but I cant push them any farther or else it just sounds bad. Thats why Im glad it had the Hot Rails on it. The Hot Rails probably need a powerful amp too sound best. Only a guess.

well, that's kind'a the point of hot rails. They're supposed to be a huge, powerful pickup in a little package made for push amps to their very limit.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.