Im getting the Crate GFX-1200H Head, with a Crate 120 Watt cabinet. This good? Ive heard alot of good reviews about this, ive even played it at the store, and it sounded good to me. But I couldnt turn it up that high ya know. But based on reliability and everything, is it a good idea?
You could get a better amp for the same amount of money I bet.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Im gettin it used for 250! Head and cab. Not bad i dont think. And its very lightly used
see if you can talk them down to 200.. it's really not that good of an amp dude but you gotta do what you gotta do
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
Well..for awhile, ive been operating on a crate 15 watt... haha. So I mean, for not having a job to buy a more expensive amp, I think this would be a gnarly upgrade ya know. And I heard the sound, perfect for punk rock
For 250 you could get something a smaller with a better sound. Or just save up and get something better that you will not regret after you get better and start to get an ear for a good sound.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Get it but If you are into serious gigging get a different amp. But $250 for a halfstack is awesome. Where are you getting it from?
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Get it but If you are into serious gigging get a different amp. But $250 for a halfstack is awesome. Where are you getting it from?

Im getting it from Bills Music. A music store around here, GREAT one at that. I am into serious gigging, but I can always upgrade when I have more money, this seemed like a great deal ya know,and the cabinet part is AMAZING quality, the head however, ill admit, isnt the best, but i can always upgrade that later on ya know
Quote by rg37
Im getting it from Bills Music. A music store around here, GREAT one at that. I am into serious gigging, but I can always upgrade when I have more money, this seemed like a great deal ya know,and the cabinet part is AMAZING quality, the head however, ill admit, isnt the best, but i can always upgrade that later on ya know

What cab is it because I am starting a band and I need a cheap cab until I can afford a good one? See if you can get a flexwave head instead. It Might cost you $50 more but it will probally be worth it. What cab are you getting so I can buy one cheap too
Last edited by Deanguitarist39 at Jun 30, 2009,
STOP
alright...uhh im gonna tell you straight up.
the flexwave at 250 watts is gonna sound like the practice amp version just louder
at gigging volumes that head will sound like sh*t
at gigging volumes that cab will sound like sh*t
the cab is horrible quality (bad speakers/build quality)

honestly dont do it. get a blackheart
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
$250 or not, don't bother. You ever wonder why there is such a price difference between amps? It's because some are better than others, dumbass!

If you're into "serious gigging" then get a "serious gigging" amp.
Quote by greggybhoy
$250 or not, don't bother. You ever wonder why there is such a price difference between amps? It's because some are better than others, dumbass!

If you're into "serious gigging" then get a "serious gigging" amp.

woah dude diss the amp not TS...
even the best of us didnt have an ear for tone at one time

Rig:

Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
I can pretty much guarantee that more than half of you have never even heard the amp live before

So to anyone who has NOT heard this amp live, shut up.

I've heard this amp live, and its alright, the distortion is a bit harsh if you turn it up too much but it has a nice solid clean channel that takes to effects nicely. I can recommend the ht-5 from blackstar SINCE I'VE USED IT BEFORE but only if your into heavier stuff.

To the original poster: If you like the sound of it and you think its a good deal, then why do you need the opinion of UG? Go have fun! Spend more time playing and coming up with tracks than you do browsing a forum filled with a population that both tone deaf AND un-experienced.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
As said, don't bother. It is a loud practice amp. Look at Blackhearts/Blackstars/Classic 30s.

Quote by sesstreets
I can pretty much guarantee that more than half of you have never even heard the amp live before

I've heard this amp live, and its alright, the distortion is a bit harsh if you turn it up too much but it has a nice solid clean channel that takes to effects nicely. I can recommend the ht-5 from blackstar SINCE I'VE USED IT BEFORE but only if your into heavier stuff.

To the original poster: If you like the sound of it and you think its a good deal, then why do you need the opinion of UG? Go have fun! Spend more time playing and coming up with tracks than you do browsing a forum filled with a population that both tone deaf AND un-experienced.

I have played plenty of these, and frankly with SS practice amps, especially Crates, if you've played one you've played them all. He said 'serious gigging,' this amp is not for that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets

I've heard this amp live, and its alright, the distortion is a bit harsh if you turn it up too much but it has a nice solid clean channel that takes to effects nicely.

thats pretty harsh seeing as my best mate owns one of these (its the combo but nevertheless 120w of ss crushing overdrive ). and i've been to a couple of his shows. i don't honestly believe you've used this amp because the distortion is definitely not 'alright.' it takes away from the performance in more ways than one

TS seriously small tube amp and then mic it up if you're seriously seriously gigging.

Rig:

Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Ok, TS, to get your thread back on track from people arguing....

First, are you gigging? Or at least are you planning on gigging anytime when you will be using this as your main amp? If you are, then the Blackheart is not for you. The amp sounds great, it's just not loud enough. And I promise you, PROMISE you, that no matter how easy it is for people to say "Just mic it up", you are going to run into shows that either don't mic the amps, or run into shows where the sound man doesn't know what the hell he is doing, and you will need ample volume from your amp. If it is just going to be for your own personal practice and low volumes, then the Blackstar might be your best bet.

Second, if you are going to be gigging, take a look into these amps before you buy, just be get a feel for what else is in your price range:
(In no particular order of my preference)
Vox Valvetronix
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VTXL-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483007#new
Peavey Vypyr
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910#new
Kustom Quad
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Quad-65DFX-65W-1x12-2Channel-Guitar-Combo-with-Digital-Effects?sku=481245#new
Buying new, in this range, this IMO is even better than the Crate: Behringer V-Tone
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-Stereo-Combo?sku=480731#new

If you can buy any used, then you might find a Peavey Valveking, which is a nice, budget tube amp, for around 250-300. I think that would be the best option for you.

Also, remember this. This is YOUR choice. IMO, that Crate isn't that good, but if you like it, and you think it fits the tone you are looking for, then buy it. Don't buy an amp just to impress people on an internet forum, buy what you like, and what you are comfortable with. I suggest trying out some other amps before you settle for the Crate, but whatever you end up buying, make sure it's going to satisfy your needs.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Damn, you have nothing on your CL worth looking at in that price range lol

I did see the GX-1200H with cab for $200 if you still wanted to go down that road. But I'm assuming the F means FX so there is none of that...

wow, you got a lot of used Crate amps on your cities CL..
Quote by sjones
Ok, TS, to get your thread back on track from people arguing....

First, are you gigging? Or at least are you planning on gigging anytime when you will be using this as your main amp? If you are, then the Blackheart is not for you. The amp sounds great, it's just not loud enough. And I promise you, PROMISE you, that no matter how easy it is for people to say "Just mic it up", you are going to run into shows that either don't mic the amps, or run into shows where the sound man doesn't know what the hell he is doing, and you will need ample volume from your amp. If it is just going to be for your own personal practice and low volumes, then the Blackstar might be your best bet.

Second, if you are going to be gigging, take a look into these amps before you buy, just be get a feel for what else is in your price range:
(In no particular order of my preference)
Vox Valvetronix
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VTXL-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483007#new
Peavey Vypyr
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910#new
Kustom Quad
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Quad-65DFX-65W-1x12-2Channel-Guitar-Combo-with-Digital-Effects?sku=481245#new
Buying new, in this range, this IMO is even better than the Crate: Behringer V-Tone
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-Stereo-Combo?sku=480731#new

If you can buy any used, then you might find a Peavey Valveking, which is a nice, budget tube amp, for around 250-300. I think that would be the best option for you.

Also, remember this. This is YOUR choice. IMO, that Crate isn't that good, but if you like it, and you think it fits the tone you are looking for, then buy it. Don't buy an amp just to impress people on an internet forum, buy what you like, and what you are comfortable with. I suggest trying out some other amps before you settle for the Crate, but whatever you end up buying, make sure it's going to satisfy your needs.

Funny thing with that last one, I was about to buy that one, then the guy at the music store, he told me how horrible it was and how it would break very soon after i bought it and how horrible behringer is...and then he suggested the halfstack