so my Palomino's power tubes bit the dust yesterday. a real shame too, i've been using this amp the most recently. i haven't done too much research yet, but i'm looking for some el84 recommendations. anybody have some?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
well any brand recommendation will be useless. not to disrespect the complexity of tube circutry or anything but its like different brands of lightbulbs. the only real difference in brands is quality control. you pay more for a brand like groove tube (stock tubes on the amp in question or at least it was on my palomino) because they buy more tubes and test them more thouroughly and reject more "unmusical" tubes than other companies. another thing to consider is how important tube matching is. the more tubes a company (like the higher priced companies) buys and tests the easier it is to find well matched tubes to sell in pairs or quartets and the tighter the electrical tolerances can be when matching tubes without significantly increasing the rejection rate. that makes the tubes (specifically power tubes) from a better (ie more expensive)company better. any musical characteristic that the tubes have is not a decision from the tube supplier company but a coincidence of production. the good/expensive supliers just try a little harder to find the best concidences to pair together and are more willing to reject a questionable tube.

edit forgot to finish my point and give my recomendation... id get the more expensive tubes like groove tubes or JJ becuase its pretty much a guarantee of a good pair of tubes that are well matched and "musically" suited to each other. youre not paying for higher quality youre just paying for a much smaller chance of a matching screw ups but for the very small price difference its surely worth it.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Jun 30, 2009,
^wow.

^^thanks. i should re-word that sentence. i use the Palomino and the VTM the most these days. i LOVE the dirt the VTM has. very 800, but very unique at the same time. the TSL is just sitting collecting dust.

say, how do Ruby Tubes stack up against the rest of the common tube brands out there?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Jun 30, 2009,
I'd go with Tungsols, their brighter than JJ's and of the same quality.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE