I have an iPhone that I recently unlocked. I then went to eBay and saw them selling for more than $300.

Now, always thinking of ways to make money without any actual work, I thought of a plan where I would just buy a new iPhone 2G (about $150), jailbreak and unlock it, and then sell it on eBay for over twice the price.

1. Is this legal?
2. Does Apple sell iPhones for wholesale?
It's illegal.
You can't sell other companies products for a profit unless you have a merchant permit or whatever.

And I'm sure there's something about the unlocking of it they wouldn't like.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
That sounds like a good idea if you want to be butt-raped in prison.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Quote by Jesstaa
It's illegal.
You can't sell other companies products for a profit unless you have a merchant permit or whatever.

And I'm sure there's something about the unlocking of it they wouldn't like.

[citation needed]
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
I've seen other people selling them under the false claim that it was "legally" unlocked.

I am very skeptical about doing this, and probably won't, but just throwin' ideas out there to pay for a car.
You are allowed to unlock a phone. The cell companies have an obligation to give you the unlock codes if you ask.

However, what you are doing is known in the mobile phone industry as box breaking. I don't know where the term comes from, possibly from years ago when these people used to open the phone boxes to take the sim cards out.

But anyway. Using your own iphone, unlocking it then selling it, this is not box breaking and not any legal problem.
Buying phones to unlock for profit, this IS box breaking.
Because of the box breaker problem apple don't sell their phones in bulk except to stores. No phone company do.

Nice idea though. Oh and you can't get in any trouble on ebay for it.
Apple also don't sell their products on merchant discounts etc. My mate works for them and says everyone pays full price for them.
Unlocking + selling for a profit, as the Ibanez wench hath rightly claimed, is illegal, yeah.