I've been having a lot of nerve trouble in my right hand for over a year, and I've constantly been trying to figure out what's causing it. It's most likely playing guitar :\

The issues are in the areas of my ulnar nerve, ring/pinky fingers, outer edge of the hand, going all the way up to the elbow. I'm thinking it might be my palm muting technique, since I mute the string moreso with the outer, fleshy part of my hand (RIGHT where the ulnar nerve is :x ) rather than the inner, actual palm part of my hand.

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used any kind of gloves while playing, and if you think this would help? I'd only wear it on my picking hand, since my left fretting hand is fine. I was thinking of taking some golfing gloves and cutting off the fingers, and using that, but I'm not sure if that would completely stop me from being able to palm mute. I need a glove in some sort of material that can allow me to keep palm muting the way I normally do, but just separate the string's vibrations from my actual skin area. This might sound stupid :\ and I am trying to change my palm muting technique, but it's hard to do it any other way because of all the problems in that side of my hand.
i read it. reread it. and still don't get it. i say get over it.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by elsporko
I've been having a lot of nerve trouble in my right hand for over a year, and I've constantly been trying to figure out what's causing it. It's most likely playing guitar :\

The issues are in the areas of my ulnar nerve, ring/pinky fingers, outer edge of the hand, going all the way up to the elbow. I'm thinking it might be my palm muting technique, since I mute the string moreso with the outer, fleshy part of my hand (RIGHT where the ulnar nerve is :x ) rather than the inner, actual palm part of my hand.

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used any kind of gloves while playing, and if you think this would help? I'd only wear it on my picking hand, since my left fretting hand is fine. I was thinking of taking some golfing gloves and cutting off the fingers, and using that, but I'm not sure if that would completely stop me from being able to palm mute. I need a glove in some sort of material that can allow me to keep palm muting the way I normally do, but just separate the string's vibrations from my actual skin area. This might sound stupid :\ and I am trying to change my palm muting technique, but it's hard to do it any other way because of all the problems in that side of my hand.

Well I dont, but I dont see how using a glove would help.
If at all, it would have to be a very elastic glove, not something made of leather
I think your problem is might be caused by holding the pick too firmly and picking from your arm. You should try to loosen your hand, and pick almost exclusively from your wrist.
Last edited by Amer91 at Jun 30, 2009,
when you pick, do you use your wrist or forearm? If you are using your forearm, then that's your problem