i love the marshall sound. they have less gain and dont fit my purposes that well. what are some amps that have a sound similar to marshall, and have high gain to them suitable for death metal etc? i youve read any of my other posts in my search for an amp you know that versatility is key with me because of the wide range of styles that appeals to me.

im currently focusing on the bugera 6262. im probably going to buy it unless i can find something similar to marshall for a good price in the 6262 range. i saw the tone kings video on the jcm900 and bugera 1990 and was like THAT IS THE TONE IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE GAIN.

the distortion is so tight and amazing. the tone depth and color. i love it.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
well, marshall amp+tubescreamer=high gain marshall amp. Tried that?

EDIT: I think the guitarists in Nile use Marshalls with Overdrive pedals.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Jun 30, 2009,
Splawn Nitro.

/thread
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
splawn

edit: mc is a *****! kidding! i love you. no homo
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
+3 to the Splawns (from what I've heard+rep)
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
splawn=way to pricey..

would the jcm 900/bugera 1990 really have that much gain if i got a tubescremer?
what if i used the haze 40 with a tubescreamer?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Peavey Windsor has a little more gain on tap than a JCM but it would still need an OD pedal to do metal. It's only one channel though.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by MatrixClaw
Splawn Nitro.

/thread

BOOM.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
marshall JVM?

i'm running the gain on OD2 red at 4 out of 10 and that's more gain than i'll ever need

it's also a versatile amp if that's what you want

note that OD2 is a bit mid scooped compared to OD1 which is more like the marshall sound
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Jun 30, 2009,
The 1990 seems like a really good deal, I'd love to get my hands on one to try it. The Windsor is one channel and is garbage.

Pushed JCM's or that 1990 are the way to go.
Gibson.
Quote by angl2k
marshall JVM?

i'm running the gain on OD2 red at 4 out of 10 and that's more gain than i'll ever need

it's also a versatile amp if that's what you want

note that OD2 is a bit mid scooped compared to OD1 which is more like the marshall sound

When i tried the JVM i found it to bee WAY to muddy on high-gain settings and that the EQ controls were a little unresponsive.

Go with the Splawn
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
The 1990 seems like a really good deal, I'd love to get my hands on one to try it. The Windsor is one channel and is garbage.

Pushed JCM's or that 1990 are the way to go.

This just made your whole post irrelevant.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
get either a peavey windsor + decent 2x12 cabinet, or get a bugera 1990. then get a digitech bad monkey and add the pedal on top of the amp's gain. voila. keep in mind that the windsor is single channel, so that might not be your thing...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
don't get a jcm 900. get a jcm 800 and boost it and you have better metal tone than the majority of typical metal bands.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
The TITAN can NAIL AC/DC and marshall tones on the crunch channel very easily.
the BUgera 1990 is supposed to have a lot of gain on tap..and its based off of a Marshall JCM 900 4001 DUal Reverb

also the 333Xl has that british voiceing with tones of gain
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
how about one of the newer high gain marshalls.... hahahahaha. also try the peavey 3120, mesa boogie stilleto line, they are british voiced amps like marshalls.
Quote by DeadlyIllness
how about one of the newer high gain marshalls.... hahahahaha. also try the peavey 3120, mesa boogie stilleto line, they are british voiced amps like marshalls.

all of those are way out his price range...even the splawn...he said in the first post that he wanted to stay in the Bugera 6262 price range...which is about $500 for the head and $650 for the 212 combo range
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
kerry king sig head. Obvisiously kerry king uses it, but i think that alexi laiho just started using it too.
Quote by smartalec007
kerry king sig head. Obvisiously kerry king uses it, but i think that alexi laiho just started using it too.

very heavey sounded amp...but will be way out of his price range
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by gregs1020

this is a damn good deal!

great sounding amp! we have Stiletto trident here in the studio right now.

i wonder if he selling the duece or trident stiletto?
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by gregs1020
deals are right under your noses everyday guys.

but i still cant find a VH140C combo or a Butcher.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
1) Stay away from a JCM900, it clips with diodes like the late JCM800's. Less it's a JCM900 SL-X or the JCM800 that is essentially a reissue of a JMP, but lets not go there .

2) I love the way no1 has mentioned a JCM2000 DSL. I only mention it over the TSL cause it's far cheaper than a TSL here in Australia, so it may be inside your budget secondhand. That + an overdrive of your choosing (ima recommend a Ibanez/Maxton TS808 or a Fulltone OCD)

Have a nice day
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
but i still cant find a VH140C combo or a Butcher.....

what?! you can't find a Butcher? they're everywhere! <.< ... >.> sarcasm ftl...

and whoever said the windsor is crap is wrong, imo. the thing sounds like a jcm800, which is definitely not a crap tone.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by R.D
1) Stay away from a JCM900, it clips with diodes like the late JCM800's. Less it's a JCM900 SL-X or the JCM800 that is essentially a reissue of a JMP, but lets not go there .

2) I love the way no1 has mentioned a JCM2000 DSL. I only mention it over the TSL cause it's far cheaper than a TSL here in Australia, so it may be inside your budget secondhand. That + an overdrive of your choosing (ima recommend a Ibanez/Maxton TS808 or a Fulltone OCD)

Have a nice day

ehhhhh the JCM 2000s are just...ehhhh ok i guess. but its like Marshall JCM line lost its balls with the 2000s. the 800 and 900 have a sound nothing like the 2000s. imo the 2000s are quite sterile
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I think people are expecting an old Marshall tone out of the JCM2000, wanting it to sound like an 800.
I think they sound just fine. Then again, I'm biased, ha. On lead 2 past 5 (or 12 o'clock) on the gain, it starts to get not so nice, but it's still heavy at the 5. Actually, the only real problem is the harsh high end, but I'm being told it's the speakers in the matching cab.
So... I say a DSL will do great.
Quote by ThrashIsGreat

Wow, are you ever ignorant. Many of the best amps ever created were, and are, single channel. The Windsor is one of the most underrated amps on these board.
Quote by MatrixClaw
This just made your whole post irrelevant.

Troof!

Edit:

Forgot to mention my +1 on the Splawn Nitro. Those things are ballsy as absolute hell!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Splawn Nitro.

/thread

either this or a quickrod

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
either this or a quickrod

I love the QR and all, but I don't think it's quite bassy enough for death metal, even boosted in third gear.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by DeadlyIllness

The Peavey 3120 would be an excellent choice, when you load it with EL34's (it is swappable between 6L6's and EL34's) it sounds kind of Marshall-esque. I played one and it was a very versatile amp, the cleans are way better than a JCM 800 since it doesn't break up at 3.

To the guy that popped the Peavey Windsor, it is a JCM 800 clone for $250. Which, in case you haven't noticed, the JCM is also a single channel amp.