Page 1 of 2
I was on Stewmac.com and I found these pickups and was wondering if they are any good.

I play mostly metal/metalcore/hardcore but I also play some blues from time to time

I willl also be upgrading my amp soon and I know that plays a huge factor in tone

I have a Ibanez RG5EX1

These are the humbuckers:EMG Humbuckers

With the humbuckers,what is the diffrence between the two?

should i just get one of each?

and this would be the singel coil:EMG Single Coil

My configuration is H/S/H

And is there anything on Stewmacs that I could buy to help increase my sustain?

or anything i could do to increase it without paying for it?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Last edited by williamdllr at Jun 30, 2009,
The ceramic and alnico magnets have very different tonal characteristics. In a nutshell.

Ceramics = Harsher and brighter.
Alnico = Warmer, rounder and smoother.

However, EMGS's HZ lines aren't all that great. You'd be better off getting your amp first then looking at another brand or line of pickups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i plan on gettting the amp before the pickups

what are some really good pickups for the music i play and that have a solid cover(where you cant see the magnets)

i prefer that look alot

i doesnt have to be a perfect match
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

and soes anyone know how to improve my sustain?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
and does anyone know how to improve my sustain?

Get your amp and pups right first. Your RG should have enough sustain for anyone's needs.
For pups it sounds like DiMarzio DeActivator bridge and Breed neck will give enough contrast to cover your needs. Not sure about the single but you'll want something hot enough to live with those so maybe a hot rail?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

well those were first on my list lol

is there any online sites that have a variety of pickups to choose from?

and i dont want puickups that need the batteries (i think their called passive?)

but keep on shooting out suggestions please guys
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Sustain... most guitars have a good amount of sustain? What do you want? Play a chord, go get tea and expect the chord to be ringing when you get back? A major loss in sustain will usually result if you have a flyod rose (I can't be arsed to check if your model has a FR) or if your guitar's neck is not in proper contact with the body (and this is extremely rare)

Can you tell us / describe what you mean by a lack of sustain.

For pups you can also look up Rock Monkey pickups (the maker's a UGer and gives a 10% discount to UGers if you contact him direct on UG first).

Since you did not state a budget, I'm gonna suggest a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb in the bridge, a Bare Knuckle Slow Hand for your middle and a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat for your neck
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
im sorry i didnt specify my guitat, that was my bad

i have the edge III (yuck i know) and it just doesnt seem to have good sustain.

i have played my friend hamer slammer and its sustain was amazing and my fender bullet strat has better sustain for some reason

i know one problem is the floyd rose type tremelo system but i dont use it THAT often and was wondering if blocking it would help wit sustain and what else could help with that

How much would those bare knuckle pickups cost (roughly for all three)

Edit: i went on bare knuckles website and realized that there based in the uk and was wondering if they shipped to the us and how much would shipping be???

i went on rock monkeys website and i was looking at the humbuckers and S.O.B ones look great but when i went to look at the single coils i couldnt find one that would sound twangy and bright for when i play blues for the bridge position
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

i REALLY REALLY like the Bare Knuckle Nailbombs so i might go with two of those and go to rock monkey for the single coil because alot of his pickups have a really bluesy sound

but how much does 99 eurosconvert into us dollars?

im thinking like 200 right
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

im going to go with the nail bomb humbucker from bare knuckle pickups and the cold sweat humbucker but idk about the single coil

i found a Seymour Duncan SSL4 Quarter Pound Strat Pickup that seems really really good and idk if i just should go with all of the bare knuckle pickups as mentioned or go with this for the single coil

which would suit my style better?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

www.oanda.com for an indicative pricing after forex translation. Its GBP (£ not euro.

You'd also need to take 17.5% off the price as VAT is non-taxable outside of the UK. Also add £8.50 for international shipping after deducting VAT.

Where is this second pickup gonna go? Bridge or neck? If bridge, I'd recommend a Painkiller (for the brootalz). If neck, a Cold Sweat (for the smooth).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i was going to put the nail bomb in the bridge

but would the pain killer sound good in the neck?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

You aware that shipping BKPs to the US is going to cost you an arm and a leg. Just go with a SD JB and Jazz/59 combo and for the single coil you need something high output otherwise its gonna be a giant loss in volume. Try a hot rail for that.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by williamdllr
i was going to put the nail bomb in the bridge

but would the pain killer sound good in the neck?

I'm not that familiar to be honest, you'd better email or call Tim for this. If you're gonna put the Nailbomb in the bridge, I'd suggest the Cold Sweats for the neck, the cleans on those are shimmering. The Painkiller is much more of a high-gain oriented pickup than the Nailbomb is, I've got both the Painkiller and the Nailbomb.

No it does not cost you an arm and a leg to ship to the States. International shipping is £8.50. I've had it shipping from the UK to South East Asia. If you're buying 2 'buckers, the VAT savings will cover your shipping charges easy. IMO, BKP pups sound significantly better than the off-the-shelf SD and DiMarzio pups any day.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 30, 2009,
what do you think the best setup would be for my styes of music using bare knuckle pickups RagingKitty?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
what do you think the best setup would be for my styes of music using bare knuckle pickups RagingKitty?

I dunno man. The character of the different BKP pickups are quite unique.

Would you like more high gain or more low gain focus in your pup choices?

Based on just preliminary ideas I am thinking of the following combo. This is merely your neck-bridge combo. Note that the first pup is always the neck and the second is the bridge.

1. Cold Sweat - Nailbomb
2. A calibrated Nailbomb set
3. Nailbomb - Painkiller
4. Cold Sweat - Holy Diver

These are the hig gain ones I can think of

For the low gain sets, consider:
1. PG Blues - Stormy Monday
2. Stormy Monday - Riff Raff
3. Black Dog - Emerald
4. Emerald - Abraxas
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i think i am going to go with coldsweat in the neck and the nailbomb in the bridge but now i need a good single coil that sounds good with distortion(not as much as the humbuckers) but has a good clean sound as well as a good bluesy sound
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
i think i am going to go with coldsweat in the neck and the nailbomb in the bridge but now i need a good single coil that sounds good with distortion(not as much as the humbuckers) but has a good clean sound as well as a good bluesy sound

I use the Trilogy Suite, its nice and fat, but as I don't have extensive experience with single coils I'll reserve my comments.

Also remember that since the Nailbomb uses alnico Vs and the Cold Sweats uses ceramics, the tone from your Cold Sweats are going to be more "cutting" when compared to your Nailbombs. However, if you like to have ceramics in your Nailbomb or alnicos in your Cold Sweats remember to inform Tim when you make the order.

Also, if you're getting the custom distressed Nailbomb cover, you might want to check if Tim'll do a matching set for your Cold Sweats.

Remember to inform Tim that both the pups are going to be in the same guitar, I'm not sure if he'll try to calibrate the pickups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 1, 2009,
what do you mean the custom distressed nailbomb cover? like how it says nailbomb on it?

and how uch will it cost to calibrate those together?

and as for the alcino and ceramic i think it will give me a good variety in sound out of one guitar

but can they both be coil tapped?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Wait till you've got your amp first, spend some time getting used to it and figure out discover what sounds you can and can't get from it.

Then and only then should you be thinking about pickups, if there's still something lacking from your tone. Sort out the amp frst, buy something decent and don't set aside money for pickups because it's not worth it. The choice between spending $300 on an amp and $200 on pickups or spending $500 on an amp is no choice at all, you spend it all on the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well i have been thinking about getting a B-52 AT 112 and when i played my ibanez through ym friends 6505 head it just sounded bland and dull

but i dont know about the B-52,i heard its not really reliable

but i love the sound of the Bare Knuckle pickups
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

bump

would the B-52 support my playing style and is it really unreliable as the revies say it is?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by ragingkitty
The ceramic and alnico magnets have very different tonal characteristics. In a nutshell.

Ceramics = Harsher and brighter.
Alnico = Warmer, rounder and smoother.

However, EMGS's HZ lines aren't all that great. You'd be better off getting your amp first then looking at another brand or line of pickups.

Unless were talking about HZ 4A ...

Those are the best passive you can get from EMG
Quote by Gh057
Unless were talking about HZ 4A ...

Those are the best passive you can get from EMG

Among all of EMG's passives I preferred the HZ2A. However I find that their alnico sounded better than their ceramics. The ceramics gave too harsh and brittle a sound for my liking.

Nonetheless, I feel there are significantly better passives than EMG's.

Quote by williamdllr
what do you mean the custom distressed nailbomb cover? like how it says nailbomb on it?

Yes. You can leave it blank, have it heavily distressed, add words etc... heck you can even have Tim write your name there in a freaky death metal font if you like... but I'm not sure what's the extent of customisation Tim'll go to.

Quote by williamdllr
and how uch will it cost to calibrate those together?

Its free, a calibration means that they'll try to bring the DC resistance to roughly comparable values.

Quote by williamdllr
and as for the alcino and ceramic i think it will give me a good variety in sound out of one guitar

Personally I preferred having ceramics in my bridge and alnicos in my neck, but that's just a personal preference. Having similar magnets means that your tonal characteristics are vastly different, which may be good or bad depending on how you use your guitar.

Quote by williamdllr
but can they both be coil tapped?

Yes, you just need a 4 conductor wire.

I suggest you get your amp before making a final decision. I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself when you're not even sure how your revamped rig will sound like.

Take Mr Seagull's advice. We're not discouraging you from getting new pups, but it makes little sense to spend a significant amount on your pups when you amp's not here.

The pups are meant to compliment the amp, not the other way around.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Among all of EMG's passives I preferred the HZ2A. However I find that their alnico sounded better than their ceramics. The ceramics gave too harsh and brittle a sound for my liking.

Nonetheless, I feel there are significantly better passives than EMG's.

Its all truly a preference of tone... much like what distortion you use.

I have to admit, you have a point on the brittle tone.. but its warm, and flowing.
Quote by Gh057
Its all truly a preference of tone... much like what distortion you use.

I have to admit, you have a point on the brittle tone.. but its warm, and flowing.

Agree, its a point of personal preference. None the less at least we agree that the better sounding pickups have a A at the end of their model code

I found that their ceramic pups tend to bring the high frequencies so much to the front that it gets sharp and piercing, regardless of the level of gain. I shudder to think about that tone again.

When you say warm and flowing which pup are you referring to?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Agree, its a point of personal preference. None the less at least we agree that the better sounding pickups have a A at the end of their model code

I found that their ceramic pups tend to bring the high frequencies so much to the front that it gets sharp and piercing, regardless of the level of gain. I shudder to think about that tone again.

When you say warm and flowing which pup are you referring to?

the EMG-HZ A's

Schecter V-1's come with one in the neck positions, and I absolutely love it.

The EMG-HZ A4 is awesome when you set the bass on your distortion nice and high.
yea true i am going to get a new amp and i have been looking at the B-52 and it seems like a good tube amp and for pretty cheap (anything is better than what i am playing on now!) but ive read some reviews and idk if it a good choice

the reviews said it sounded good but wasnt very reliable, like it kept on breaking down

and i hope he would put my name on the humbuckers because that would be sweet!

but i will definately buy the amp and then see if i need them
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Get a Vox multi amp.. $300 USD is a pretty good price.

The fact if its tube or not doesn't REALLY matter, as long as it sounds nice.
Quote by Gh057
the EMG-HZ A's

Schecter V-1's come with one in the neck positions, and I absolutely love it.

The EMG-HZ A4 is awesome when you set the bass on your distortion nice and high.

Haha I figured it was the A... can't have been the ceramics.

I got 2 Alexi Laiho signatures... and one came with the H4 and the other came with the H2A.

I remember that the one that came with the H2A was surprising smooth and took well to distortion, whereas the H4 was rather trebly, sharp and brittle. The next time I get a chance I'll try the HZA4.

The reason I changed the HZ2A out is because for some reason, they sounded subdued and rather weak. The sound and tone weren't too bad, but it wasn't great or outstanding. The H4 suffered from the same issue as well, in addition to it brittle and sharp tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
is there any better amps than the B-52 in the 300 - 350 usd price range (i dont mind goig used)
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
is there any better amps than the B-52 in the 300 - 350 usd price range (i dont mind goig used)

Like I said, man, go for a Vox or an ibanez...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945#new

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VTXL-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483007

Quote by Gh057

The Vox should be good

At your price range, you can also look at the blackheart amps... I love mini stacks

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=blackheart

Especially the Little Giant Half Stack

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078#new

Remind me TS, what music genres do you usually play?

Quote by Gh057
The problems I have with the H2A is the fact that is sounds very.. synthesized.

Well, haha I can't say much about that then. Different cuts different tastes. I like how warm it sounded... but still has good definition for high gain.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
those both look amazing compared to the B-52 but i dont know which one of those to get lol

im leaning towards the ibanez because it sounds like it would be better for heavy distortion
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

i play alot of metal/metalcore/hardcore/blues
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr

You can also consider this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-and-HT110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack?sku=489746#new
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by williamdllr

the Vox I sent you was very good, it has something like, 20 different pre amp combos built in.
the blackstar mini half stack looks great!!!

is it good for heavy distortion and a good clean tone?

there are no reviews for it
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Page 1 of 2