Today I got a Marshall MG. It works fine, but I've noticed a lot of stigmatism (not sure if thats the right word) about them. Are they really that bad? I've already destroyed to box, so I doubt I can return it. What can I do to prevent any future problems that might arise
Don't worry about the durability, they are some of the most durable amps you will see. The main thing people rag about it the tone, but as long as you are cool with it then it shouldn't matter to you. It's a decent amp and is not as bad as people make it out to be.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
They just don't sound very good to me. I used to have one, and hated it. The newer ones are better, but still not very good. If you like it though, then it doesn't matter
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Why does at least one of these threads spring up every other day? I think it would be best if one got stickied...

Anyway all that matters is if you like your amp, after all we're not gonna come round and have a try are we!
inb4 CRUSHING OVERDRIVES

the MGs are just a bit unreliable sometimes. which MG did you get? i hope it's one of the newer ones as they sound a bit better and feel a lot less fake to play through imo. But really, if you like it, and it doesn't break down on you, who cares?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 30, 2009,
You've made your bed so now you'll have to lie in it. No joy!

RE: Reliability. The people who say that MGs are unreliable are talking rubbish. The only reason you shouldn't have bought it is that it sounds like sh*t. But you're too late now so you'll just have to suck it up.
Quote by greggybhoy
You've made your bed so now you'll have to lie in it. No joy!

RE: Reliability. The people who say that MGs are unreliable are talking rubbish. The only reason you shouldn't have bought it is that it sounds like sh*t. But you're too late now so you'll just have to suck it up.

at least 3/4 of the 100 watt MGs i've seen have had the overdrive channel sometimes bleeding through onto the clean channel and vice versa, when you switch channels, requiring you to keep on switching the channels until the problem goes away, only for it to return after you've switched the channels another few times? i don't care whether you think i've pulled that statement out of my arse or not because there's no way i can prove it to you, but i really have seen this problem too often.

With that said, that doesn't mean it's going to happen to every MG. They probably just needed a bit of contact cleaner on the switches.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
use it as a foot rest
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
UG people are dicks. MGs get a lot of flacks because they dont soun like a $6000 boutique amp, they sound like a $500 amp. If you like, thats all that matters. My friend has one and actually, he gets a pretty good tone out of it. If you dont EQ like an idiot, youll be allright.
I don't have anything against MG's or other solid state amps like the Frontman's and what not, they're great amps for when you're new and just learning to play guitar, but the higher your price range the more of a rip off they are. If you are willing to spend $500, or even $300, you can get yourself a nice tube amp, which is why most people here don't like them...because about once a week someone comes in here with a new 100W MG amp and thinks its the ****, when he could have made a more informed decision and gotten a much better deal on a nicer amp.

That wasn't aimed at TS, I'm assuming he got one of the lower wattage models...HNAD
Quote by musicfan1234
UG people are dicks. MGs get a lot of flacks because they dont soun like a $6000 boutique amp, they sound like a $500 amp. If you like, thats all that matters. My friend has one and actually, he gets a pretty good tone out of it. If you dont EQ like an idiot, youll be allright.

oh, they sound like a 500 buck amp eh?

so i guess its better than the B-52 AT-112, which sounds like a sub $400 amp.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

they sound like 50 dollar amps with a 450 dollar logo on them. which one did you get? the MG15 and 30 aren't as much of a waste of money as the others since they're ok as practice amps
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by musicfan1234

No, MG's get lots of "flacks" because they sound like they're not worth the 5 bucks the guy in China got payed to make it. I've played decent amps under $500 the MG certainly isnt one. Yes, its not the MG's fault we cant get a decent tone out of it. We just EQ like idiots ALL of us.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
MGs are awesome TS. Don't listen to the haters. I'm thinking of selling all of my gear so I can get one of each of their models. Pure Tonal Bliss.

Did I just read what I thought I read? Are you being ssarcastic? Please tell me thats sarcasm.

Well, its like my dad always told me. "You cant fix stupid."

Quote by Matt-92

TRRRROOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

In GG&A....thought you ought to know.

Oh my sides! You my friend just made my day!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by Kino Chan
Today I got a Marshall MG. It works fine, but I've noticed a lot of stigmatism (not sure if thats the right word) about them. Are they really that bad? I've already destroyed to box, so I doubt I can return it. What can I do to prevent any future problems that might arise

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I'd broadly agree with most people here. The MG, especially the new one, isn't actually that bad as long as you have the 15w or 30w. Granted, the Vypyr, Vox VT and Cube are all better but other than that the MG is fine as a practice amp. Of course, if you bought a huge 100w MG stack then you've made a huge mistake.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by VanTheKraut

Your dad is Ron White?

Congrats TS - HNmgD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Matt-92

LMFAO!!! wow that was amazing!
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
Quote by VanTheKraut

Like my pops always told me, stupid people can't comprehend sarcasm...

Well not really, more like STFU and eat your damn brussel sprouts but you get the point..

And MG's are pure tonal bliss btw ... ahh could you tell? .. that was an example of sarcasm
Quote by gregs1020
Your dad is Ron White?

Congrats TS - HNmgD!

No he's actually Trogdor the Burninator...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Matt-92

you, sir, have won the interwebz for the next few days.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Don't worry about the durability, they are some of the most durable amps you will see.

I have no problem with their tone, I dislike them because their (lack of) reliability.
MGs are pure crap. Nothing redeeming about them. I have one collecting dust. Hopefully I never have to plug in in again. Was thinking of setting it on fire.
Mgs are not terrible amps. They are fine if your just starting out as long its like a 15 watt. But if you go and buy a 100watt half stack version, then you sir have wasted your money. There is much better you can get for the price of that giant practice amp.

A little irrelevant, but you always know when someone has an mg because they call it their"marshall half stack". It sounds like they are trying to impress, when then you find out its just a mg100dfx head and 4X12 cab lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Mgs are not terrible amps. They are fine if your just starting out as long its like a 15 watt. But if you go and buy a 100watt half stack version, then you sir have wasted your money. There is much better you can get for the price of that giant practice amp.

A little irrelevant, but you always know when someone has an mg because they call it their"marshall half stack". It sounds like they are trying to impress, when then you find out its just a mg100dfx head and 4X12 cab lol.

Like your 60's tube amp?
Quote by JoePerry4life

Quoted for truth.
OH GOD ITS A RANT AND ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!

1. MGs, L6 Spider IIIs, and Fender Frontmans are all terrible amps. No matter how loudly you proclaim OH BUT MINE IS DIFFERENT, they still sound terrible. The practice amp size sounds terrible too, but pretty much every practice amp ever does not sound that great.

2. If, by some stretch of the imagination this is not a troll thread, you should use the goddamn search bar, seriously, there are hundreds of threads about this exact same topic.

3. You will not get a good amp for $200. Save your money.
I actually like using my MG for an oversized fuzz pedal when an overdrive or two are thrown on top of the gain channel, and the cleans are alright for jazz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by imicius
OH GOD ITS A RANT AND ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!

1. MGs, L6 Spider IIIs, and Fender Frontmans are all terrible amps. No matter how loudly you proclaim OH BUT MINE IS DIFFERENT, they still sound terrible. The practice amp size sounds terrible too, but pretty much every practice amp ever does not sound that great.

2. If, by some stretch of the imagination this is not a troll thread, you should use the goddamn search bar, seriously, there are hundreds of threads about this exact same topic.

3. You will not get a good amp for $200. Save your money.

2. That one I can agree with.

Quote by imicius
Prove me wrong.

1. You're not necessarily wrong, it's just that you're being an elitist asshat. You are wrong about the practice amp part though, there are plenty of practice amps that sound pretty decent.

3. What is a good amp anyway? Some people just can't or don't want to spend much on an amp.
Quote by imicius
Prove me wrong.

1. Blackstar HT-5 that everyone is raving about at the moment is essentially a practice amp, it would struggle to keep up with a drummer in my experience therefore practice amp.

3. A 'good amp' is subjective, for example I would take my MG over the Peavey Vyper any day. I also don't really like fender amps, again from my experience, but many people love them, if he gets a half decent tone from it then why not have one
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey