hi guys

i want to upgrade my guitar(epi firebird) to something better.
i play mainly punk,alternative,hard rock and a little grunge and metal.
budget:750$.
any suggestions?
I would suggest an Epiphone SG. They are very good for heavy type stuff.
It's not the guitar, it's how ya use it.
Quote by Benno2727

I think he wants something other then Epiphone haha.

Yeah what about a used Gibson Les Paul or SG

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

I don't care if it's epiphone or not, the first guitar i thought of when i decided to switch is Epi Les Paul custom
Used Gibson is way better than anything Epi. No comparison. A good copy LP would also suit your needs well so Tokai, Burny or even an Agile 3100.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Don't get another Epi since it will be very similar (quality-wise and tone-wise) to your Firebird. It wouldn't even be an upgrade. It's like going sideways instead of forward.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't get another Epi since it will be very similar (quality-wise and tone-wise) to your Firebird. It wouldn't even be an upgrade. It's like going sideways instead of forward.

so what should i get?
What are you trying to get by getting a new guitar? What are you unhappy with about your Firebird? If your answer to those questions is "nothing," then I can't really recommend you anything.
^^^

I don't think those are in his budget.

And try to get a used LTD EC-1000 in Amber Sunburst or a Schecter C-1 Classic. They're extremely versatile with the JB/'59 combo.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by JELIFISH19
What are you trying to get by getting a new guitar? What are you unhappy with about your Firebird? If your answer to those questions is "nothing," then I can't really recommend you anything.

The firebird's tone isn't very good,and i hate the neck-it's kinda thick,the body shape got very annoying and(i know it doesn't really matter but) it looks like sh*t
Quote by Benno2727

+1

I've got an Epiphone SG and I play pretty much everything you do, it sounds great. Here's the exact model....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455#new

It's a good price and it now comes with a free case so I'd go for that, you'll also have some extra money left, get an amp or something.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Thanks guys, i had an idea that i'd like an opinion of: Epi Les paul Gold top(with p-90's) and replacebridge pickup with humbucker.
If you're still using that Line 6 Spider III, upgrade your amp first.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by Firebirdz
Thanks guys, i had an idea that i'd like an opinion of: Epi Les paul Gold top(with p-90's) and replacebridge pickup with humbucker.

That sounds pretty good.
It's not the guitar, it's how ya use it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Used Gibson SG standard?

i'd be really surprised if you can find a used SG standard that low, but if so definitely go for it. i loved mine, until i realized the pickups were crap and i didn't want to spend the money to replace them but mine was a special and not a standard. i'd recommend them. the only thing i didn't like was the finished neck
Would a humbucker fit into a p-90 slot?
I was under the impression that humbuckers are a little wider.

Personally I'd go with an epi LP custom(then upgrade the pickups to a jb/59)
I still have my old epi and I LOVE IT!
As for the whole thing about Gibson beating out Epis, it's complete rubbish.

I used to work at Bestbuy when they started carrying musical instruments and let me tell you that I couldn't believe how some of those guitars left the factory. There were frets sticking out and paint that residue ON THE FRETBOARD! And this was on a standard to. -_-
humbuckers won't fit into a P90 route, but there are exceptions. like mini humbuckers can fit with a pickup mounting ring, or dimarzio makes their super distortion in a P90-size. the super d P90 isn't really an exact copy though. it's just kind of a P90 take on a humbucker design
Quote by Pac_man0123
Just like any guitar, you have to find the best one.

Great Epi >> Crap Gibson

Great Gibson >> Great Epi

To true, I had a customer bring in a 90's Gibson Lp with a slim taper neck to get it set up.
I wanted to steal it...-_- haha

It literally had the most comfortable neck I have every played. Never came across anything like it before.
Quote by carpepax
This, this or this.

Any of them would suit the styles you want to play and all sell in your price range.

I am considering one of these three for my next guitar. These things rock!

Whoaaa... do the Volcano guitars play nice? I'm interested in it. I'm a huge V enthusiast...
Quote by Gh057
Whoaaa... do the Volcano guitars play nice? I'm interested in it. I'm a huge V enthusiast...

I visited their booth at NAMM in January but I didn't play a Volcano. I played a couple of bolt-on models and both played very well. I ended up buying their Buckshot model(in my sig) and, after raising the bridge a little to address some fret buzz, it's the best setup I've ever seen out of the box.

Their guitars are made in Korea and every one is QC'd and setup at the Reverend offices in Michigan. Way better than Chinese products. Way better than all but the most pricy epiphones, if you ask me. On par with Gibsons costing twice as much.

I have never owned a V-style guitar but am tempted to take the plunge and get a Volcano.
Last edited by carpepax at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by carpepax
I visited their booth at NAMM in January but I didn't play a Volcano. I played a couple of bolt-on models and both played very well. I ended up buying their Buckshot model(in my sig) and, after raising the bridge a little to address some fret buzz, it's the best setup I've ever seen out of the box.

Their guitars are made in Korea and every one is QC'd and setup at the Reverend offices in Michigan. Way better than Chinese products. Way better than all but the most pricy epiphones, if you ask me. On par with Gibsons costing twice as much.

I have never owned a V-style guitar but am tempted to take the plunge and get a Volcano.

I might order one if it's possible. I think I'm in love.
you should be able to find a number of used gibson lp studios or mia strats at that price can't really go wrong with either of those guitars.

i know every one around here has their own kool-aid but no matter what the kids on here say a real gibson or a real fender will serve you better and hold its value for years and years
and at the end of the day if you go cheap all you really have is a cheap guitar thats a knock off of the real thing
Sadly,where i live, Revrends are pretty expensive,so they're not an option.
Does any 1 have any other advice?
Also, did any one here ever play an Epi SG Custom?Are they any good?