I took guitar classes in High school, but i never learned much about electric guitars. I know how to read music, play chords, scales, ect but I want to buy a new electric guitar but I have no idea what I am looking for. Can I ask some questions because I am pretty conflicted right now.
1. Whats the difference between what types of wood guitars are made of, if its tone which wood gives which tone.

2. Which Brand is best, I know Fender and Gibson are the main ones, but how does Schectler and Ibanez compare. I hear those brands are mostly metal guitars, but I heard the cleans on a schectler on a C-1 plus and I was really impressed.

3. Apparently A tele fits my taste perfectly but can someone tell me why? I like radiohead, The mars volta, Interpol, and placebo.

4. Single coil, humbucklers, coil splitting what!?

These are just some questions I am pretty sure more will come up but please help me learn I will appreciate it.
:Gear:
Fender Telecaster blackout Deluxev
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez Ar300 (currently not working)
Vox AD65VT
Roland Cube 30
1. there is no major difference in the tone of a wood, it is mainly what you feel most comfortable with.

2. There is no best brands, it just depends on what you want to play.

4. for the style you want to play a guitar with two single coils and one humbucker is probably the best. a tele has two single coils
a tele is nice for your style, with a single coil and a humbucker would be perfect for you
Different tone woods respond differently to attack and have different frequency peaks. There's no best wood. It always depends on what you're looking for. And there are different grades of wood. Bad mahogany will probably sound worse than good agathis. And remember that Danelectros were made of plywood so don't get to caught up in what a guitar is made of. How it's made is much more important.

There is no best brand. The only reasons why Gibson and Fender are the most well-known is because they're the oldest. Schecter cannot compete with Gibson and Fender since they don't make high-end guitars. But Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, and PRS all make high quality guitars that rival those companies. There are a lot more brands that make high end stuff but the list would be too long. There's also no such thing as a metal guitar. You can play anything on any guitar you want.

If someone has to tell you what fits your taste, it's probably not your taste.

Single coils have one coil and humbuckers have two. Humbuckers were designed to cancel out the 60-cycle hum of single coils. But they sound fatter because they cover more area of the strings. They're also hotter because they have two coils. Traditional single coils have a hum but you can get noiseless ones these days. Single coils have more bite because of their size and they'll always sound thinner than humbuckers. Coil-splitting is where the coils of a humbucker are split and you use one so it sounds similar to a single coil.
1) if you haven't played a lot of guitars before it'll be tricky for you to even tell there's a difference let alone be able to pick out what the difference is and make a choice about which you like best. there are lists on ug somewhere that i'll go find, but it is pretty subtle

2) different brands make different guitars, with a different sound. a major brand name is as much an indication of reliability and consistency as anything else, fender and gibson are the most well known but don't really do anything good in the cheap/beginner range. the best way to get info on brand choice is to go to your local music store, look at the prices of guitars and what brands make them. then ask a guy there about the brand that catches your eye in your price range.

3) tele's have a very 'bright sound' that is pushing towards twangy, if you want to know what sort of guitar will fit your sound, find your favourite bands and look at what guitars they use, because they know what fits their sound seeing as they make it and all...

4) single coils have 1 row of magnets, humbuckers have 2 rows of magnets (they look like 2 singles stuck together). As a general rule, single coils have a brighter sound, which sound quite 'sharp' (not in terms of sharp and flat, but sharp like a knife) Humbuckers have a more mellow rounded sound. if you want a comparason of sounds a good place to go is http://www.seymourduncan.com/ then have a listen to the sound clips for a bunch of different pickups on there.
humbuckers will also overdrive an amp more readily than single coils because they have a higher output, so they give more distortion at the same settings.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jun 30, 2009,
1. Whats the difference between what types of wood guitars are made of, if its tone which wood gives which tone.
The tonal differences depend on the type of wood, for example mahogany will give a deep, smooth warm tone with lots of sustain and alder will give a snappy bright tone, although there are other factors going into it. Also the quality of the wood reflects the quality of the sound regardless of what species it is.

2. Which Brand is best, I know Fender and Gibson are the main ones, but how does Schectler and Ibanez compare. I hear those brands are mostly metal guitars, but I heard the cleans on a schectler on a C-1 plus and I was really impressed.
It's all a matter of personal preference when it comes to brands, and you're best off ignoring the brand and and deciding on a guitar based on whether you like it and whether it suits your styles of music or not.

3. Apparently A tele fits my taste perfectly but can someone tell me why? I like radiohead, The mars volta, Interpol, and placebo.
Telecasters are very versatile and probably would work well but it's likely that there will be other guitars which also do the job with these genres - it's more about what the player can do with the guitar, rather than what the guitar can do with the genres.

4. Single coil, humbucklers, coil splitting what!?
This is to do with the construction of the pickups. A pickup is essentially a magnetised copper coil. a single coil pickup has one coil, a humbucker has 2 wound in a "figure of 8" pattern to allow the 2 coils to eliminate mains hum. Coil splitting allows you to use only one of the coils in a humbucker to get a more single coil like tone. Generally single coils have a more sparkling clear tone with greater dynamic response, while humbuckers have a thicker, "heavier" sound.

edit: @sammo_boi: there are telecasters with humbuckers. and wood is actually one of the biggest factors in what makes the tone of the guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Ermm... what?

TS, people have already answered your questions, but i have to say: spend enough time on here and you'll learn a LOT.

that's what i was thinking...

I can agree to an extent that UG is very informative and can help you learn, but there's also a lot of misinformative crap here caused by bandwagons and stuff so it's not all good, and i think that really the best way to learn is to find out for yourself by going to guitar shops and playing loads of stuff, but only listen to the guys who own and work in the small independant shops - most of the time they will offer decent advice instead of telling you what you want to hear about certain gear so you buy it like they do in big chain stores.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
OKay, the main thing you'll learn in this Forum is that spider III's and MG's are crap.. sad but true.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah