if i hadn't done that, i wouldn't be asking here.

the problem is, i don't think i need an actual plan as much as i need to make sure i don't screw up or forget steps. I'd like some help from you guys too, as most thing's i'll be doing now are quite new to me. i'm trying to plan my first actual build. I want it to be a thru-neck Firebird.

i've been looking on advantagelumber.com and i've decided i want to have a black walnut/curly hard maple neck with tigerwood wings. would this hold up?
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Jun 30, 2009,
thats cool, ask whatever questions you have (after googling them first )

Walnut and curly maple is a great choice for a neck blank. It will be super strong due to the good woods laminated together

For the wings, you can go for whatever wood you want as they won't be under too much strain. You could even go for balsa wood if you want, in a neck through its the neck wood that counts.

I recommend you buying Melvyn Hiscocks build your own guitar book: http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907
you can do what you like but if it was me I would try to do a gibson firebird V (thats five not V) exactly as it is. or do the keith richards version with P90's. I believe its one peice solid maple neck thru with mahogany wings. the wings are thinner starting somewhere in the maple. look at the photo's you'll see what I mean.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
you don't need a fr locking nut with a kahler, you can have a roller nut, i think kahler actually makes there own nuts?
all kahlers use locking nuts. i didn't neccessarily mean a fr one, just a locking nut.

Quote by fullsailstudent
you can do what you like but if it was me I would try to do a gibson firebird V (thats five not V) exactly as it is. or do the keith richards version with P90's. I believe its one peice solid maple neck thru with mahogany wings. the wings are thinner starting somewhere in the maple. look at the photo's you'll see what I mean.

i do see! that's actually very cool. i would like to do a 5 piece neck thru though (not sure i said that earlier). i really like how all these woods look so i wanted to do a natural finish.

and i'm kinda set on these pups too... i love that combination.

I am wondering what angle to have the headstock at. So if anyone has any insight, i'd like to have some help there.
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Jul 1, 2009,
headstock angle depends on how much wood you have or how much you want to waste. you could do a string tree like fender or 11 to 15 degree angle. warmoth does 13 degree. if your tight on wood you can glue a block of wood on before you shape the headstock.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.