Hi guys, I am a bit of a newbie to the electric guitar having played acoustic for the last few years. I am thinking of purchasing my first electric and wanted some advice of what to get. My budget is up to about £400. I am a bit of a Neil Young nut so am in love with his black custom gibson. Obviously I can't afford one fo those but was looking at the epiphones. What would people recommend and is it worth buying second hand and getting something cheaper? Any thoughts and pictures would be great! Much appreciated
Epi LP Custom sounds about right.

Edit: And always look for used before buying new you never know when a good deal is gonna come up
SIGNATURE
Last edited by KaFuCh at Jun 30, 2009,
Are there any good websites for second hand guitars? I forgot to say I'm left handed so that probably narrows the choice down. As I'm not experienced in the makes etc how will I spot a bargain?
For your first electric, go used, theyre much cheaper and sometimes have some upgrades that the store didnt notice. my ibanez gax70 came with new strap buttons and speed knobs, theyre great guitars btw, i picked mine up for $200, its basically an sg.
Quote by zimmy909
Are there any good websites for second hand guitars? I forgot to say I'm left handed so that probably narrows the choice down.

I think with used left handed guitars in a local store, you have a 65%-75% chance of finding at least 1 guitar which is not stocked by the guitar store. If you have local stores around your area, check what they have, and compare prices, and play through a couple guitars. Then, in your free time, go through the internet, and look through prices and find a price range that works for you.

That's what I do, anyways. I'm a lefty, also, so I know what you mean when it comes to stocking left handed guitars.
Last edited by JP Oliver at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by zimmy909
As I'm not experienced in the makes etc how will I spot a bargain?
Go to a music shop, try a bunch of stuff out, and work out what you want - or at least narrow it down to a couple of options. THEN start checking out the second hand market, when you know what you are looking for.

In terms of websites ebay is good if you're careful.
The average UK guitar shop will carry one lefty electric. A Squier Strat.
I'm sure you can get a left-handed Vintage Black Custom but it will probably need to be ordered and cost about 10% more. Still within budget and streets better than any Epi.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I recommend you a G&L Legacy Special Tribute. The Tribute series costs 400-500. Very high quality guitar and very very versatile because of 2 Strat style pickups and 1 humbucker.
Just try it out... (The normal G&L Legacys cost 1400 so you have to look for the tribute series)