I'll keep it very brief.

I took my English Literature AS exam (UK) last year, I got an E. I had a predicted A grade and my coursework (two pieces, both A's) got the best marks in the year.
During the exam I froze up because of nerves/anxiety/whatever so I don't remember if I wrote anything at all. (Literally zero memory of the event.)

My question is:
Is it possible to get an E, having already achieved an A in my coursework. (the coursework was worth ~30% if I remember correctly.

Seems kind of a bummer to go mental and fail, could they have got my results wrong?
I guess not.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Time for a retake, man.

Maybe it's just me, but there's no way I'd settle for an E in an exam. You won't get a grade that low though with a good coursework mark, but it'll still be something pretty bad like a D or a C.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Time for a retake, man.

Maybe it's just me, but there's no way I'd settle for an E in an exam. You won't get a grade that low though with a good coursework mark, but it'll still be something pretty bad like a D or a C.

Thanks for the advice, it's reassuring to know I'm not just being paranoid. Sadly I don't think I can retake it at this stage. It may be worth contesting the grade, though.

I think your talking balls

Cheers. I'm not by the way.
I think you'd either get a high C or a low B.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
i know in university we have to pass before our coursework counts so is that a possibility for you and your exams?
i think a better question is, "who in the pit has had sex?"
then "with music on?"
then "more than once?"

i for one feel left out
Last edited by achtung baby at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by el-ECTRO
I think you'd either get a high C or a low B.

When coursework is only worth 30%?

I thought a pass grade was 40%, so I'd be pretty freaking pleased with an E
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
assume worst case - coursework was only just A = 80% exam was scraped E = 40%

since coursework is 30% and exam is 70%
80*0.3 + 70*.4 = 52% = D

i would seriously retake, AS is worth half of a-level with 52% in AS the highest you can possibly get is 76% in total, which is a B. Not bad, but that is if you get 100% in all the exam and cswk next year. If you can get an A but screwed up on the day then that is what retakes were designed for.

i know retakes seem expensive now, but if it makes the difference between 2 unis or later on 2 jobs then you'll earn back the cost of that in a hour or so of work in later life, so it's well worth doing.

EDIT: i should read the question more carefully :s yes it is possible to get an overall with an A in coursework but you'd have to get a maximum of 25% in the exam to still get an E. surely you get a module breakdown?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by achtung baby
i know in university we have to pass before our coursework counts so is that a possibility for you and the A levels?

I've never heard that before :O I'll definitely be googling it to see if that could have happened to me. Thanks for helping.
Quote by metacarpi
When coursework is only worth 30%?

I thought a pass grade was 40%, so I'd be pretty freaking pleased with an E

Ahh.. thought you said the exams were

It'll be a low C or a high D.

Sorrehh.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

the first thing you should do is pay to get a photocopy of your answer paper. then you can get a teacher to check it to see if they've marked it badly. if they have, then you can pay to have it re-marked. if not, then the teacher can go through it with you and show you where you went wrong. then it's worth doing a retake.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by doive
assume worst case - coursework was only just A = 80% exam was scraped E = 40%

since coursework is 30% and exam is 70%
80*0.3 + 70*.4 = 52% = D

i would seriously retake, AS is worth half of a-level with 52% in AS the highest you can possibly get is 76% in total, which is a B. Not bad, but that is if you get 100% in all the exam and cswk next year. If you can get an A but screwed up on the day then that is what retakes were designed for.

i know retakes seem expensive now, but if it makes the difference between 2 unis or later on 2 jobs then you'll earn back the cost of that in a hour or so of work in later life, so it's well worth doing.

My CW average was 90% (one piece was 98%, kinda why I'm so devastated.) It's not really an option to retake them in the foreseeable future. If I could contest it I would do it provided it was free, but atm I'm living hand to mouth so I can't support myself and go to school. I would imagine it's unlikely that I would be given a grant.

Edit: The best I can get is to contest it/have it remarked for my own personal gratification. It would mean a lot to me just to know I didn't completely screw up :P
Last edited by MrCuddles at Jun 30, 2009,
^

Wtf? Vanishing posts!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Jun 30, 2009,
I got 50% on my cousework and still awaiting the results for the exam

I would seriously do a re-take though; in GCSE Buisness studies, my sister was expected an A and got A U, but it's GCSE, so watcha gonna do? meh.
Quote by metacarpi
^

Wtf

you might want to edit that, now that the spam was deleted, so it doesn't look like you're saying "wtf" to do post directly above you
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
the first thing you should do is pay to get a photocopy of your answer paper. then you can get a teacher to check it to see if they've marked it badly. if they have, then you can pay to have it re-marked. if not, then the teacher can go through it with you and show you where you went wrong. then it's worth doing a retake.

The vast majority of remarks don't actually change anything.

A: It's embarrassing to the board to admit they/their marker made a mistake.

B: If the mark is unchanged, they get to keep the money.

And I hate to break it to you, but if he got an E, a remark is going to give him, what, a high D at most? Not worth it.
Oh yeah, another thing to take into account is the grade boundries. They may have changed since your other exam so you could get a higher mark.

you may be living hand to mouth now, but all i will say is you could regret it later. you KNOW you are better than that, you just need to show it to the world.

As for remarks, if you think you did bad then it may not be worth it, but with 90% cswk you must have got seriously bad marks, like 15%

there were 2 stories when i was doing a-level, one a guy got 7/90 on a paper, it was pmistype by the board, it should have been 76/90. the other was actually me. i requested my paper back and noticed that although i had 85 the mark was written almost illegibly and i was only given 45. That got me a uni place.

for someone who has a 90+% coursework then you shouldn't be getting 15% in an exam, get a remark at the least.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more