So I'm looking to buy a new amp and haven't a clue on what to purchase.

I have £400 and I play mainly thrash, stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus etc etc.

The amp would have to have a good low end response, sound great with scooped mids and have enough high end so solos can be heard in a band situation.

Amp + pedal suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
Woahh dudee, that's basically what I play =D.

If you can get a JCM 900 4100, I'd say go with that. Although it might take a lot more than 400 quid to get it sounding how mine sounds. I LOVE mine, it's got bucketloads of old school thrash overdrive.

If you're interested in getting one, I'd say definitely do. They're worth it. And I can help you get it sounding good and thrash.

I just had a look on the UK ebay, and it looks like you can get the head for 400 quid, I'm sure you could get an avatar cab for like another 300, and then the tubes for 100.

I'd post a clip, but 1 - It's late here. And 2 - I don't have any mics that don't make the amp sound ****.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Jun 30, 2009,
The jcm will eventually be about 2 times his budget, so I won't recommend that for his budget, although it's a great amp.
If you are looking for a more modern sound bugera will do it for you.
If you really wan't the oldskool stuff (they did not play scooped mids and stuff) you should really look at getting a summer job and with the money buying a jcm 800 with OD or just a 900 if you are on a tighter budget.
jobs are hard to come by these days! lol

I've heard of bugera but I haven't played any of their stuff. Any suggestions on models?

I was looking at a Marshall 8100. Chuck from Death played these and he has a nice heavy tone.
The 8100 isn't bad. But it's not that great either.

I'm recommending the JCM 900 for a more long term amp, something that'll do you well for like 10years +
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
^ Correct, Chuck Schuldiner used the Marshall Valvestate 8100 most notably on the Sound of Perseverance album. The problem is that the amp was discontinued so you would have to go used.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
^ Correct, Chuck Schuldiner used the Marshall Valvestate 8100 most notably on the Sound of Perseverance album. The problem is that the amp was discontinued so you would have to go used.

Used Marshalls are the only way. New Marshalls are ****.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I've decided to buy a Marshall JCM 900 212 50 watt combo as I don't want to have to lug around a half stack haha.

Will the distortion on this be sufficient enough for what I need or would you recommend me getting a Tubescreamer as well?

Oh and my budget has since went up to £600 as my Education Maintenance Allowance bonus came through today
Is that one of the Dual Reverbs? Because if it is, yes, it'll be enough. The SL-X's apparently have more distortion, but are more voiced for modern metal and are a little buzzy.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo