Hey I'm Pete!

I currently own a copy of a Gibson SG. It's pretty crappy but it has good memories for me and I've been playing it for a good 4 years now. I think the time has come to get a new guitar suited to the style of music that I like.

I currently play post hardcore and metal stuff like Dance Gavin Dance, Fall of Troy, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive etc... I wondered if any of you guys could recommend a good metal guitar for me?

I think perhaps an Ibanez might be good but I'm not sure which exactly. As it's probably clear, I don't know a lot about guitars at all and I need to become better but it's time I got a beautiful guitar suited to the style of music I like.

Looking forward to some suggestions, thanks in advance!
Well, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and if you want amp etc.

I don't know a lot about metal but i know ESP (higher end ones) and Ibanez make some good guitars for that type of stuff. Stratocasters are good for pretty much anything as well, if you want the versatility.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

i got an esp ec-1000 and its pretty metal. forget ibanez, jacksons are better unless your grabbing a jem
Hmm Well I'm willing to spend a good £300-400 on a guitar and I do love the way Ibanez guitars look. I just get a bit confused when I go to their site and they all filter out into different models that all look the same?

As for an amp, I've got an oldish Peavey amp which has seen better days.. I can only really get a half decent sound out of it by running a death metal pedal to it. I would be happy spending money on a guitar first then looking at amps once I've improved a bit more

Is that any use?
Quote by cainmd
i got an esp ec-1000 and its pretty metal. forget ibanez, jacksons are better unless your grabbing a jem

forget ibanez? don't listen to this guy.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
Ignore cainmd, he has no idea what he's talking about.

For £400 you could get a half decent Ibanez, I'd avoid ESPs at that price though. £400 gets you a Mexican Fender Stratocaster, which are good for metal.

I can't help you on Ibanez guitars though, I can't stand them, and I'm not that big of a metal fan.

Your best bet is to go to a guitar shop and just play them, and ask for advice from the staff. Be careful about the ones that just lie to you just for the sale, though.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I too have had bad luck with Ibanez I can never get the cheap ones to last more than a year or 2 before they crap out, Schecter makes a great guitar for metal and at a affordable price.

Dean guitars are great for metal also. But you have to play many to find the one that feels right.

Jackson's are alright but had the same problem's with the cheaper ones as with the Ibanez's both jackson and Ibanez if you dont invest 1k+ its not really worth it.

I have a schecter c7fr (loomis) and its the best metal guitar I have owned so far (but may be the mesa triple im running it through :P) But a friend has a Schecter hellraiser and thats a great guitar also. If i had only your budget I would look into Schecters they offer highest end hardware for such a inexpensive guitar.
I've got two 1985 Ibanez guitars that are still going strong, they are both fantastic imo, and the cost of both added together was less than £200. You don't need to invest loads of money to get a decent guitar.

Go to your local music shop and try out everything you like the look of that falls within your budget. If you're going for a decent named brand, then unless you go for a signature model or a fancy paint job the more expensive models will be better quality.

For £400 you can get a decent Ibanez, or a Washburn X50Pro, or a really decent 2nd hand guitar. Shop around, see what you like, ask advice from small local music shops (where repeat custom is more valuable than a quick one off sale)
I just watched a video on them. It seems that the floating trems are a bit of a pain to change the strings on but it looks like its nothing impossible. Just rama small block of wood under the trem then gog restring
Since you're paying GBP, I'd recommend Washburn. They have some of the best bang for the quid in the UK, and the QC is great. Here's a great one suited for metal:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/78154
It also comes with a free crappy amp!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by DimeLvR
Jackson's are alright but had the same problem's with the cheaper ones as with the Ibanez's both jackson and Ibanez if you dont invest 1k+ its not really worth it.

Have you even heard of the S series?

Click the gigantic link in my sig, there are some valued cheap and versatile strats in there.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.