Hey dudes, I am going abroad in about a week, so I plan on buying some stuff for my Squier. I was thinking of putting a DiMarzio D - Sonic in the bridge and a Tone Zone in the neck, but I am skeptical about the Tone Zone. The DiMarzio site says its preferred to be in the bridge position so I don't know if it will be the thing I need when I put it in the neck. I need someone who has tried the Tone Zone in the neck to tell me something about how it sounded.

I play technical death, melodic death and progressive metal mostly, but I do need good cleans. I have a Roland Jazz Chorus and the Digitech RP listed in the sig, plus I plan on buying an overdrive (BOSS SD-1) or a distortion pedal (Metal Muff). My aim is a tone similar to the one in Necrophagist records..sort of smooth and liquid (talking about the neck pickup here).

Oh and do you have any info on how those Alexi Laiho signiture pickups sound or work? The other guitar player in the melo-death band plans to buy 2 of them and put them in his Jackson RX10D.

I would be really grateful for this .
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
why not just buy a better guitar?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Get an air norton in the neck instead. It's about as smooth as tasty as neck pickups go.
Sorry, can't help u as i haven't tried tonezone in neck position. Only thing i know is that Michael Romeo from Symphony X uses X2N in bridge and tone zone in neck, and he's using it in bright wood guitar ( alder i think).
@ JCP
What better guitar? I have about 500 euros more or less and I don't plan on buying a low end jackson/ibanez/esp or w/e just because people think Squiers are bad guitars. Whatever I buy in that range isn't anything better than the Squier. So I plan on modding the hell out of this one, and then buying a Xiphos about 4/5 years from now.

@ Widow
I thought about the Air Norton...but I think its too muddy...I know Petrucci has the D Sonic and the Air Norton and I find his lead tone...when he plays the neck pup too muddy.

@Draconkreuz
I know about Romeo...I like his older tone better however...on Paradise Lost its too fuzzy...but I get the general idea of the tone.
Teh Gear:
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Quote by Draconkreuz
Sorry, can't help u as i haven't tried tonezone in neck position. Only thing i know is that Michael Romeo from Symphony X uses X2N in bridge and tone zone in neck, and he's using it in bright wood guitar ( alder i think).

No, he's using it in a mahogany guitar. And the finish on the guitar is optimized to enhance lower midrange frequencies too. Do your research, dude

I prefer the tone on Paradise lost because his older tone sounds flat, lifeless, and generic to my ears.

But if you think it might simply be too much OUTPUT and like the tone, then get an Air Zone for the neck position. Everyone and their grandmother's 3-legged dog has an Air Norton in the neck. Also, the Air Norton has less bottom end than the Tone Zone. You may prefer a Breed in the neck position if you're looking for more clarity. Remember though, that Petrucci's sound is incredibly scooped, so he's prone to getting muddy from time to time. Then again, he only used Air Nortons early on, he had a custom neck pickup that he's used up until this most recent album, wherein he used a new set of signature pickups.

As for the Alexi pickup: Not sure, but I can honestly say I want a Jackson J-50BC and an onboard preamp because of him. the HZ-H4 was a fairly decent stock pickup for his sound, but left something to be desired. I would just get DiMarzio D Activators for now. And if you sell your old guitars eventually for better instruments, put the old pickups back in them and keep the new ones.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 30, 2009,
Nah...I need the output...its just that now I started thinking about the Evolution Neck pickup too. The Air Zone doesn't have enough output and the Breed is too warm...even for me.
Teh Gear:
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
The Tone Zone will be even worse in the neck, it's a damnsight bassier than the Breed and a lot hotter - it's not really a neck pickup at all. The Breed is a great neck pickup though....as a left of field suggestion the regular Norton might be worth a pop, and contrary to what you believe you do NOT "need the output", pickup heights are ajustable remember?

I'll never understand getting a hard-on over the output level of a pickup, all that matters is that it gives you the right sound with your rig...if you need more volume you turn the amp up, if you need more distorion turn the gain up, if you don't have the right timbre, responsiveness or quality of tone, that's where your choice of pickup is crucial.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 30, 2009,
yes pickup height is adjustable but I want the two pickups to be almost equal in output....how about the Evolution Neck then? I need more clarity from the neck pickup...but also I want it to remain smooth.
Teh Gear:
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !

Balancing the heights is what makes the output levels the same.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I know that....It's just that now I have an almost dead single coil, and a really hot humbucker...it takes a ****load of compression even when my neck pickup is almost touching the strings (have to have some space between after all) to be able to use the single coil and not notice the volume drop when changing pups...and the D Sonic has I think about 375 or 395 output...so I would like to be on the safe side with that, because I don't plan on changing the pickups again any time soon.

So how about that Evolution then...will it give more clarity, but still maintain the neck pups smoothness?
Teh Gear:
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Last edited by BoogieManMKD at Jul 1, 2009,
It should (just listen to Steve Vai). And if your pickups are that close to your strings, you're killing your sustain.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by steven seagull
I'll never understand getting a hard-on over the output level of a pickup

I'll never understand the idea of measuring pickup output in terms of coil resistance.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by BoogieManMKD
....how about the Evolution Neck then? I need more clarity from the neck pickup...

The neck Evolution is nice, very responsive, very clear and well defined sound.
I'll never understand why people who have been here since 05 don't use the Edit button

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
I'll never understand why people who have been here since 05 don't use the Edit button

There are two separate quotes, it would be a pain to put them into one post.
Quote by BoogieManMKD
Oh and do you have any info on how those Alexi Laiho signiture pickups sound or work? The other guitar player in the melo-death band plans to buy 2 of them and put them in his Jackson RX10D.

Its just another EMG HZ with an afterburner.

I like his signature guitars, however I think his pickup tone is a one trick pony and hardly flexible.

A lot of his tone comes from his famed preamp, so if your other guitarist is getting that pickup in the holes of coming close to his tone, its a massive mistake. I have 2 of his sigs and I can tell you that the guitar tone alone its nothing close to what you hear on the albums.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
What's your amp? High output pickups aren't needed unless you're trying to get teh br00t4lz out of a vintage tube amp and an OD.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I told you I have a Roland Jazz Chorus...a very old one it's a 4x12 combo, it has some issues so I plan on selling it...if I don't manage to fix it. I decided on the Evolution neck and the D sonic in the bridge. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciated it!
Teh Gear:
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !