Page 1 of 2
This is probably pretty common among guitarists, or just musicians and artists in general, but sometimes it feels like its all been done before, that there is nothing new and all I hear are the same ideas being recycled within the same formats. So, to get a little more inspiration I was wondering if people could just throw out guitarists who they feel are particularly groundbreaking, inventive, and individualistic. Guitarists who are definitely not run of the mill. I was listening to Robert Fripp when this thought came to me, but I was kinda looking for even more modern guitarists than him who are really pushing the envelope.

So go ahead and throw it down
I find Buckethead to reach out into techniques and sounds that haven't been used before. His usage of killswitches and whammy pedals is pretty awesome, and his diminished and atonal tapping licks are pretty unique.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Muse are a key band for such things.

Also Jack White has a wierd recording formatting, his preferance is with old almost antique recording means, which add's a kind of unique tone, he also doesn't omit wierd sounds pedals can create, he prefers to leave them in to produve a more raw tone
Umphrey's McGee has some really good guitar, some of it is old techniques but alot is some pretty cool new stuff.
the only three really really unique guitar players nowadays y can think of (right now) are buckethead, jack white and john frusciante on his solo albums... they're truly diferent...

most of the heaviest rock and metal virtuosos seem stuck in the same musical place (and i love that place even if it isnt innovative ie.Paul Gilbert)...

go listen to "catch hell blues"- white stripes to hear some really distinctive guitar playing

EDIT: oh! and dereck trucks!... that guitar sings... sounds more like a saxophone. On the rest of the guitarists you can tell quite easily their influences (jimmi, van halen, SRV, vai... etc)
Last edited by just17n8 at Jun 30, 2009,
Yeah dont get me wrong I still love all of that stuff, just looking for something new. I never really gave the White stripes a chance, I'll go check it out
Quote by Thrashstermind
Yeah dont get me wrong I still love all of that stuff, just looking for something new. I never really gave the White stripes a chance, I'll go check it out

Stripes are simple but when Jack pulls out oldscholl blues sounds its' awesome. One of the most unique songs I've heard is 200 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues. Simple rhythm but when he busts out the lead it smacks you in the face.
Quote by just17n8
the only three really really unique guitar players nowadays y can think of (right now) are buckethead, jack white and john frusciante on his solo albums... they're truly diferent...

most of the heaviest rock and metal virtuosos seem stuck in the same musical place (and i love that place even if it isnt innovative ie.Paul Gilbert)...

go listen to "catch hell blues"- white stripes to hear some really distinctive guitar playing

EDIT: oh! and dereck trucks!... that guitar sings... sounds more like a saxophone. On the rest of the guitarists you can tell quite easily their influences (jimmi, van halen, SRV, vai... etc)

To the people who will hate on Frusciante, he is def. a better composer than player in his practices. He can play extremely fast for minutes on end and sound amazing but he feels the soul is being lost whenever he goes on and on so fast like that.

His solo work also shows his composing nature, as he has written everything he has released and just had others perform with him. Smile from the Streets you Hold and Niandra Lades and Usually Just a Tshirt are 2 albums that are no doubt extremely unique and you don't know where the hell they came from.
satriani,Morello :P
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Mastodon lead guitarist Brett Hinds

I've always found his scale use and composition great and different from other metal bands and he's a great hybrid picker which he uses for some interesting timed notes in his playing
Quote by ChiliFan01
satriani,Morello :P

Ah, I forgot about Morello. he's a genius as well.
Satriani isn't that innovative. He just uses tapping techniques, good EQing, and good general technique.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Kevin JOnas! his extensive usage of power chords just blows me away

i've always found tom morello very creative and unique, and ^ brent hinds is both innovative, yet not so much to be weird
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Thrashstermind

dont worry we understand... i love Paul Gilbert... even if he's stuck in the post 80's van halen-y pentatonic rock... come to think about thats why i like it
i guess ill throw in my 2 cents and say paul waggoner. the guy can do just about anything.
**GEAR**

Epiphone G-400 Tony Iommi Left Handed
Custom Epiphone Les Paul 100 Left Handed w/ EMG 81/85
Johnson Acoustic Left Handed
Line 6 Spider Valve 112 w/ FBV Pedal
BOSS DS-1 and AC-3
I imagine someone mentioned it already, but Tom Morello is the first that comes to mind in terms of innovative modern guitarists.
Matt Bellamy is godly.

Check out songs like Citizen Erased, which are really experimental and awesome.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Jack White (White Stripes) and Bradford Cox (Deerhunter) are both totally unique guitarists. Neither of them are terribly clever, but Jack sounds a beast, and Bradford is an excellent composer.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Definatly Muse, check out the truly unique Whammy/Tapping solo in Invincible! It's amazingly fast, but it tells a story, you follow the solo into the context of the whole song like no other solo could've been played instead, but the solo is so unique!

Bellamy gets my vote!
Matthew Bellamy and John Frusicante.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by JELIFISH19
You guys are going to laugh, but I would have to say Syn Gates. He's one of the only modern guitarists with his own tone and style. You can tell it's him by a single note.

Well, you're right. I did laugh. I can't think of a single thing he's done that hasn't been done many many many times before.

Compared to other guitarists out there hes not even that good...
What do people see in this guy...
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Thomas Erak, from The Fall Of Troy.
I always thought his melodies and leads were pretty originial and sounded very cool.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by leftyace
Well, you're right. I did laugh. I can't think of a single thing he's done that hasn't been done many many many times before.

Compared to other guitarists out there hes not even that good...
What do people see in this guy...

I agree.
These are innovators.

With the exception of Buckethea, and Dave from Screaming Headless Torsos, I don't feel that anybody mentioned so far in this thread is especially innovative.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Jun 30, 2009,
Syn Gates has some good moments... not an epic guitarist but he's definitely talented. though i'd hardly call him original
Matt Bellamy: more live than studio actually, i've seen muse dvd's and he's an excellent musician and creates many textures with his gear

Mike Einziger: you can hear a lot of interesting on both playing and sounds, the use of different chord voicing it's not a "common" thing on rock, and he has created many interesting tones and arrangements.

Robert fripp: just because he works with electronic devices a lot

Derek trucks: a really interesting use of slides, at the points that it really reminds me of mariah carey singing

that's all i can think of right now
i really think omar rodreguez lopez has a unique style. more so in his compositions tho. the mars volta blows my mind. and adam jones. his use of the talkbox is pretty cool.
Kirk Hammet. His use of the wah pedal is not matched.

But really, I think Buckethead is the mosr creative guitarist I've heard. He always surprises you.
Nick "Diamonds" Thorburn of Islands
Meric Long of Dodos
the guys from Explosions in the Sky
Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear,
Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs
and whoever the guitarist from Vampire Weekend is.

All of these are definitely lesser known, but all of them are very different. I strongly encourage you to take a listen.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Buckethead - Soothsayer, Electric Tears, Colma or really any of his guitar focused stuff is just unique, awesome stuff.

Robert Fripp - He pioneered new standard tuning for one. He is just an all round innovator.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Aaron Turner - Isis
Adam Jones - Tool
Steven Wilson - Porcupine Tree
Paul Waggoner and Dustie Waring - BTBAM
Andrew Goddard - Karnivool

and as mentioned, Buckethead and Matt Bellamy