alright, so ive been hearing alot from people, that they have their own "custom" tuning, so how does one go about finding a tuning that suits them? and building upon that, which tones sound good with which other tones stuff like that, im looking for a lower tuing, but i still want to shred.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
I'd start to analyse how you play:
If you play a lot of power-chords, you should tune your stings something like root-fifth (instead of forth)-octave (instead of seventh). You could do dis by detuning the "root" stirng down a whole step or tuning the other two strings up.
If you like a "drone" character, you should tune the guitar to a open chord and so on.
You should also note, that the pitch and the strings' tension changes the tone so you'd have to look for a sound you want.
For shred, I'd not suggest open chords or thirds, for they'll make it harder to produce a good sweeping tone. I wouldn't go higher than fifths, for you'll have to jump alot, which will ruin your legato.

If you had told, what you're looking for, I could have been able to help, but I'll try to find a good "shred-tuning" and post it
Quote by allislost
then i take back what i said and i award you with 10 points! use them wisely...

Enchance your Soling

Quote by funkyducky

desadaphas get's a nod from me
for he knows that tea pwns coffee

My first lyric in Englich
Last edited by desadaphas at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
alright, so ive been hearing alot from people, that they have their own "custom" tuning, so how does one go about finding a tuning that suits them? and building upon that, which tones sound good with which other tones stuff like that, im looking for a lower tuing, but i still want to shred.

My custom tuning is:
D# (highest)
A#
F
C
G
C (lowest)

It's beautiful. It has a giant range of notes that are accessible for most ideas I think of. Took about two months to get used to it.

Quote by Ir a+infinitive
which tones sound good with which other tones stuff like that

That's entirely up to you. Don't let somebody tell you something sounds great or horrible, make that decision yourself.

Quote by Ir a+infinitive
im looking for a lower tuing, but i still want to shred.

You can still shred in lower tunings. Just be sure to have higher gauge strings so your tone isn't floppy and thin.
a custom tuning doesn't seem like a great idea. You would have to transpose everything you learned and showing riffs to other guitarists in a band situation would be a nightmare. Would work for a solo player though
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.