im thinkin about trying some super light strings (.008). im wondering if the guage of the strings affects how the guitar will be tuned?
No you still tune it the same way. You might need to adjust the neck tension though. What gauge are you using now?
lighter strings will have less tension. if you use a trem, then this means you would have to adjust the screws in the back of the guitar while you tune. you will most likely have to loosen the screws, but its just a balancing act. if you use a fixed bridge, then i don't think there are any problem.

i hope this helps.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
yes, it does. when you change sting guages you may have to adjust the intonation or the neck relief. its really only going to change when you go more than one guage in a direction. so going from 9's to 8's isnt going to be a huge deal and you might not have to change anything. a slight tweak could help, but it wouldnt be a huge deal. but going from 10's or 11's to 8's means you are probably going to have to do a setup to keep things intonated correctly.
Quote by demoniacfashion
No you still tune it the same way. You might need to adjust the neck tension though. What gauge are you using now?

im not even sure whats on my guitar rit now. i had to replace the B and high e strings cuz they broke on me and i had to replace em with some spare ones i had lying around. i really mess with my guitar though to get it tuned to standard since it has a trem bridge.
Quote by ACIbanez120
im not even sure whats on my guitar rit now. i had to replace the B and high e strings cuz they broke on me and i had to replace em with some spare ones i had lying around. i really mess with my guitar though to get it tuned to standard since it has a trem bridge.

so your guitar has the strings it came with?? if so, the gauge is most likely 9. i think that is the standard. both of my guitars came stock with 9 gauge, but i switched them to 10's b/c i play a lot of metal.

is it a floating trem? if so, then refer to my previous post. if not, i'm not sure how non-floating trems work. sorry.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
so your guitar has the strings it came with?? if so, the gauge is most likely 9. i think that is the standard. both of my guitars came stock with 9 gauge, but i switched them to 10's b/c i play a lot of metal.

is it a floating trem? if so, then refer to my previous post. if not, i'm not sure how non-floating trems work. sorry.

lol no i switched the strings with some ernie balls, i think, but i dnt remember exactly which ones. in the week after i replaced the strings 2 of them broke. so strings 6 to 3 are ernie ball and 2 and 1 are some spare stings that ive had there lying around. my guitar is an ibanez rg120. the trem gave me alotta trouble. for awhile i was tuned down 1 step. i dont have anything against down tuning but my fav is standard tuning.
so im trying to find the perfects strings...something thatll relieve the tension from my trem but still be tuned to standard

thanks for everyones help by the way, really appreciate it
Last edited by ACIbanez120 at Jul 1, 2009,