i know its 5w RMS in pentode mode,but what is its peak wattage? (i mean, not RMS, the maximum level it can go)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

probably 9 or 10watts.

that doesn't really give it an edge though, considering it'll be about as loud as any other 5watt valve amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
peak wattage shouldn't even be used as a measure for guitar amps - companies who list the peak wattage are trying to fool people into thinking it's louder than it is. ignore it and focus on rms.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
well i was just wondering ^_^

because people always say that HT-5s arent loud enough in a band situation, by for some reason my BH5H can be overkill sometimes.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

so, do you recon, with a distortion boost from my MD, and a cleaner boost from my GE-7, through a 4x12, i could get somewhere near 10ish watts peak?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

TS, you seem to be completely missing the point about RMS and peak wattage.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i know RMS is the maximum sustained wattage, and peak wattage is the maximum wattage it can operate at.

correct or dumb?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
so, do you recon, with a distortion boost from my MD, and a cleaner boost from my GE-7, through a 4x12, i should be loud enough to play in a band setting?

that's what your question should say, but since you already say you're loud enough, i don't see the point.

and we'll never know, since we can't measure the output for you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

hmm, i was thinking of getting a 2x12 to use with my 4x12 to give me some tighter low end and 2 more speakers to move air with.

i was told this is a good setup, was i lied to? and would it make enough of a difference to warrant the spending of a fair amount of money that could feed my pedal craving?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

it's a good setup, but i dunno if it's practical for you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Silver-spear94
i know RMS is the maximum sustained wattage, and peak wattage is the maximum wattage it can operate at.

correct or dumb?

RMS is a measurement, based on the peak wattage, given by the Root Means Squared, however you can also get the value (or near enough) by taking a peak wattage and multiplying it by 0.707

As a result, you will often get a power amplifier rated as ____ Watts @ _ Ohms, because the resistance (Ohmage, essentially) involved in pushing the speakers at different frequencies gives varying power output. The Ohmage also changes as different frequencies apply, though not so much.

I'm probably also wrong, as I've been out for the summer from uni for over a month now and forgotten half of the first year, but I believe it's something like that!

In other words, don't worry about the peak wattage as the universal measurement amongst decent products is RMS.

Also, if you were to try and boost your peak wattage, all you will end up doing is damaging the speakers and/or the amp.
well, if i tried to boost the peak wattage from a 5 watt RMS head into a 140w cabinet...

i dont think id damage it =P

but either way, im pretty sure my bh5h is loud enough, reguardless of the usual assumption that 5 watt amps are too quiet.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's a good setup, but i dunno if it's practical for you.

practicality isnt really an issue, plenty of cars and vans within the band's close family.

and we have easy access to a 1200w PA system anyhow, belonging to my bassist's cousins dad.

so, i probably wouldnt need much more power anyway :shrugs:

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
well, if i tried to boost the peak wattage from a 5 watt RMS head into a 140w cabinet...

but either way, im pretty sure my bh5h is loud enough, reguardless of the usual assumption that 5 watt amps are too quiet.

Yeah, I said all that before realising you were going to be putting it through an external cab (I don't know the amp mentioned, I was going off assumptions)

Just remember that measuring an amp's volume in Wattage terms is kinda useless, because a 5watt valve amp will likely be just as loud as, if not louder than, a 10watt solid-state. It's hard to give an exact comparison, but there's so many factors involved that the best thing to do is just stick a decibel meter in front of the amp at a certain distance, and the same for an amp you want to compare it to
Quote by Silver-spear94
practicality isnt really an issue, plenty of cars and vans within the band's close family.

and we have easy access to a 1200w PA system anyhow, belonging to my bassist's cousins dad.

so, i probably wouldnt need much more power anyway :shrugs:

i meant practical as in money.

and if you're not really sure you need it, why blow money? unless you have plenty of it, then go ahead.

Quote by Silver-spear94

i boosted my 5watt valve junior too much and the tube blew after 2 minutes. just saying, things happen.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Peak wattage is a different way of measuring. At the same output level an amp has a different RMS from Peak. Like measuring centimeters and inches.

Hifi amps specify RMS wattage at a specific max distortion. Guitar amps make no claims about distortion level, which leads to ambiguity in the wattage specification. Since wattage is closely tied to the tube configuration, thats a better comparison. But there is no similar relationship between tube and SS. Since tube amps can distort quite a bit and still sound good, the actual wattage RMS may be higher than the amp's spec. The same doesn't apply to SS since distortion in the power section would sound bad.
i emailed blackheart, but all i got in reply was that its actual watts RMS is something like 7, rounded down to 5 because its an attractive number apparently.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ