Hey Pit, I've bought this HP notebook last Friday and as it's my first one, I don't know much about taking care of it. It's got 3GB of RAM, Dual Core Micro (1.8 Ghz), 160 GB of HD, 15.4" screen. So I have some questions for those who know something about it:

*How much time should I have it turned on? (no matter the battery duration)
*How bad is to install games on it?
*How do I take physical care of it (not to scrath it. etc.)?

I'm absolutely aware of the fact that I mustn't put it into fire and those things, but I'm talking about special cares, such as where not to use it, when, in which conditions not to use it, etc., etc.

If you have any other advice, I'd be thankful.

Thanx in advance!
Just defrag it, and scandisk every onces in a while. Do some disk cleanup to get rid of old crap. Get a good firewall. Get a goof virus program to scan your pc with. Pretty much all I can think of right now.
A.K.A. Titanguy
It's fine to install games if they're real (ie. not torrented, downloaded or cracked). It doesn't really matter how long you have it turned on for as long as the computer doesn't get overheated (you can tell when it gets really hot). Every once in a while you should go to the cleanup applications and defragment your harddrive (this keeps it running smooth and frees up some disk space). And as for taking physical care of it, just be careful, dont eat around it, try not to drop it, maybe get a hardshell case for it.
You can have it on until it goes dead. Just makes sure your dont use it while its charging. You can fry the lithium battery. My Gf mom has done it to two laptops already and the woman wont listen to me.

Be a pretty lil case for it! lol.
A.K.A. Titanguy
basically use it like you would a normal PC, don't move it around while it is switched on (unless it's on standby), and especially if there's a CD in. If you're taking it places a lot, it might be worth your while to invest in some sort of carry-case (I have a little neoprene sleeve for mine). As for leaving it on long times, that should be fine, same as a normal PC, it will slow down after a while switched on (I'm assuming it's running Windows here), same as any PC, but otherwise it'll be fine.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
You can have it on until it goes dead. Just makes sure your dont use it while its charging. You can fry the lithium battery. My Gf mom has done it to two laptops already and the woman wont listen to me.

wut?
that has never happened here
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by shredbeyndshred

bullshit in bold.

If you're going to let it run for very long periods, get a cooler for it.

A cooler is something that the laptop sits on that has a few fans on it. It draws heat away from the laptop helping keep it cool since most laptops tend to run really hot. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as a desktop in terms of doing stuff on it and care.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
If you're going to let it run for very long periods, get a cooler for it.

A cooler is something that the laptop sits on that has a few fans on it. It draws heat away from the laptop helping keep it cool since most laptops tend to run really hot. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as a desktop in terms of doing stuff on it and care.

Hey thanx a lot! I've seen those cooler devices, but I just didn't pay attention to them. I'm gonna get one a.s.a.p.
Well for some reason my laptop now won't last more than a 15 minutes MAX if I use it without external power, idk what I did to **** the battery up but I'd suggest don't overcharge it (although I'm sure I didn't...)

Also, my laptop is really hot right not, because today's an absolutely boiling day! How will I know when my PC has got so dangerously hot that I should close it?
Last edited by Saf1 at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by shredbeyndshred

you can use it while its charging what are you talking about? What the hell kind of computer company builds a computer that allows you to use it for 4 hours, and then you have to stop for 5 hours and not touch it while its charging? your friends mom just doesn't realize that every so often you have to cycle the battery (let it die completely, and then recharge it fully)

the woman wont listen to you because you don't know what you're talking about.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 30, 2009,
I don't know about yours, but my laptop has temperature controlled cooling, so I've never needed a cooling pad thingy. The fan gets louder the hotter it gets, and when the processor hits about 85ºC, it scales the clock speed right back so it gets really slow - I can even view live temps from 6 sensors and fan speed in rpm.

on the other hand though, the thing broke today and it now doesn't work unplugged - it just shuts down, even though it tells me that the battery is installed, fully charged, in good condition and has had 396 full charge cycles. I'm getting it fixed tomorrow though

Last edited by jgbsmith at Jun 30, 2009,