This will be my first time going to a store and trying a guitar, and I pretty much already have the guitar I want in mind, but still, what exactly should I do? Just play some stuff I know, and maybe see if the action is comfortable and stuff like that? Sorry for the noob question, but I'd really like to know exactly what I should do when buying a guitar and everything.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Well I usually just play some chords around the neck to check intonation and then some scales and maybe a few riffs. There's no real set method to trying out a guitar.
your shopping, not performing dude. Grab the guitar and plug-in, if the store carries whatever amp you use, plug-in to that so you can hear a more accurate representation of your tone.

However, I know it can be a bit intimidating. Just play some rhythm stuff, some lead stuff, and a bit of improv, but don't play at obnoxious volumes.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Yeah I hate those assholes who turn the amp all the way up and draw all the attention to themselves...
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Plug it into a similar amp that you already use or that you want to get and play it. Try tuning the guitar and use bends, to see if there are any tuning problems. If you get a chance, play it sitting down and standing up with a strap to see if it's comfortable to play.

And mainly see if it does what you want it to do and feels the way you want it to feel.

I might play every fret on every string to see if there are any dead spots, hopefully there are very few. Most guitars will have a one or two, some worse than others.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Jun 30, 2009,
Well seeing as you'll be playing it after you buy it it makes sense that you should play whatever you like to play.
Quote by Royal_Brick
This will be my first time going to a store and trying a guitar, and I pretty much already have the guitar I want in mind, but still, what exactly should I do? Just play some stuff I know, and maybe see if the action is comfortable and stuff like that? Sorry for the noob question, but I'd really like to know exactly what I should do when buying a guitar and everything.

You already have some good advice on this thread. Play what ya like, check all the frets on every string, listen for buzzing etc.

Check out all the knobs and make sure their isn't any excessive looseness. Make sure the tuners on the headstock are nice and tight and that they don't give alot of slack when your tuning the string. On one of my super cheap guitars, I can turn the tuner a quarter inch in one direction before it even starts tuning the string. You don't want that. Shake it around alittle bit and figure out if anything is loose in the guitar.

Other than that just make sure it sounds good to your ear in the amp that your going to be using at home or the amp that you are going to buy.
inspect the guitar

i hate going home noticing something wrong with the guitar that i might not have the tools and items to fix and then having to take it back where they may or may not charge for service
I play anime/video game songs and see if people recognize them. Last time I played FLCL's ending theme the manager dude walking around was like "good show".

But more seriously, I just play a variety of songs/riffs I know from different genres on an amp that's either the same as mine or similar.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
I normally go to the guitar shop early Sunday morning and test play then. There is rarely anyone in at that time. If you are not too confident just turn the amp down a bit and no one will be able to hear you. The just play what you normally do and see how you get on. I find within a few minutes I can tell if the guitar is for me.

If you like the guitar then give it a once over checking for damage and manufacturing defects. Also make sure you fret all the strings at various places down the neck. If after that you are happy with the guitar then you have a found a good one.
From a construction standpoint, check if it has even frets by rocking a credit card spanning 3 frets at a time, down the whole neck - no rocking, no problem. See if the nut isn't cut too deep on the 3 thickest strings by fretting right in front of (towards the body) the second fret - you should see a small gap between the string and top of first fret. Run your palm down and up the fretboard like you were doing slides and make sure the fret edges don't feel sharp to your fingers. Try wiggling the input jack - there should be no motion. All knobs should feel smooth and tight, and when turning the volume and tone pots, you should hear no static through the amp when it's plugged in and at decent volume.

Action, relief and intonation all can be adjusted to your liking so it shouldn't weigh on your considerations.
Last edited by KingStill at Jun 30, 2009,