People on this forum are constantly saying you can mic your amp, and it got me thinking. Are they're any professional guitarists now who use low-wattage amps and mic them live?
how low are you talking about? 30W might be low to some people, and I've seen guys run a couple low-wattage amps in conjunction with larger ones. 5W amps are usually for the studio though, I don't know of any professional artist using a 5W amp as his primary gigging amp (although there probably are some)
I've seen some famous Belgian guitarists use AC15's
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I saw the airborne toxic event live and they were using mic'd blues juniors for the guitars.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Quote by dbl93100
i know clapton recorded layla on a small 1X12" amp

Lots of people use low wattage amps in the studio, not so much live, although I don't consider 18W low wattage
When I saw Rancid they used some small fender amps along with a Marshall and Mesa head. I think the guitarist from U2 uses AC30s for his sound. Also, I think Stone Temple Pilots uses AC30s too.
I wouldn't really call an AC30 low wattage, though. Those things are pretty much loud enough for any application. The thing is, once you reach a certain point in your career, I don't think excessive volume is much of an issue. If somebody like Clapton or Van Halen wants to crank a Marshall Major to 11 onstage, the venue is pretty much going to do their best to work around that. That's not a luxury that most intermediate-beginning performers have.
there are lots of professional musicians who use low wattage amps live. mainly jazz, blues, and country players. all dr. z amps a low wattage, and you can find tons of players who use those live, like charlie hunter.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Wasn't Layla recorded with a Fender Champ? That's like 5-7 watts, isn't it?

yep
Quote by Stickymongoose
I wouldn't really call an AC30 low wattage, though. Those things are pretty much loud enough for any application.

Agree again, below 15W is what I'd call low wattage
A local band here uses a Little Giant + TS8 for great rock tones, and they play to 200+ plus people at some outdoor gigs, but thats just on the local scene.
TS, pro's tend to mic up their amps regardless of the wattage.
***Short Sig***
Curt Kirkwood from Meat Puppets uses a little Zinky amp like this:

Quote by Fardarkcrow
My guitar teacher hooks up his 150 watt amp to a PA system when he gigs.
Okay.