Alright so I've had my mind set on getting a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, because it's very versatile, and can play blues, rock, and metal, but i'm worried that I won't be able to play Gilbert-like shred stuff such as THIS on it... I dont want to go buy an Ibanez for shredding, and use the Les Paul for other stuff... that will be too expensive...
So, is it possible to play scarified and technical diffululties on a Les Paul? idk...because its not considered a guitar most people shred on..most use Jacksons, Esps, and Ibanezes.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Malmsteen: Strat
Mick Mars: Strat
Zakk Wylde: Les Paul
Eddie Van Halen: Kramer/self-built
Jim Root: Telecaster
Kirk Hammet: Les Paul, ESP
MAB: Dean

There, those are some player who incorporate shred into their playing and don't use Ibanez.

You can shred on any guitar, if you can shred on one but not on another, it's either really differently set up or you just can't really shred.
If you have small hands and you need to play above the 18th fret you're in trouble.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXr1TDzViBk

Meet Doug Aldrich, one of the most technically-flawless shredders around. He uses a Gibson '59 Les Paul and a Les Paul Custom, all stock as they are right out the factory.

Edit: I can't believe I mis-spelled 'meet' as 'meat'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 30, 2009,
Ibanez aren't just for shredding. But they work great for it. An Ibanez is just as versatile as a Les Paul. People are showing the exceptions. A Les Paul isn't built for speed like an Ibanez is. Things that Ibanez have that ease faster playing that Les Pauls don't are unfinished thin necks, jumbo frets, wide flat fretboards, and unhindered access to the 24th fret. Playing a lot of Gilbert will be harder with a Les Paul. It's possible but if you're really planning on playing that stuff, you should get a guitar that will make it easier, not more difficult. I would suggest looking into an RGA321. It's a mahogany body with a carved maple top. It comes with the Wizard Prestige neck.
As Rusty Cooley put it in a laughable fashion, the only thing getting in your way is your way. This is true for more than his signature model. The only thing preventing you from doing everything on every guitar(Other than say a 24th fret bent to sound like a 27th on a 21-fret neck or a divebomb on a hardtail,) is your playing. A good guitarist can do what they do and do it well on any and every guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 30, 2009,
The only problem I have (other than the fact that I suck) is the lack of fret access.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by MrFlibble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXr1TDzViBk

Meet Doug Aldrich, one of the most technically-flawless shredders around. He uses a Gibson '59 Les Paul and a Les Paul Custom, all stock as they are right out the factory.

Edit: I can't believe I mis-spelled 'meet' as 'meat'.

you realise he isnt shredding there, right?
Quote by MesaSchmitt
you realise he isnt shredding there, right?
Well it certainly isn't Country-Reggae Fusion Jazz.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well it certainly isn't Country-Reggae Fusion Jazz.

I lol'd hard.

You want shred? Check out this guy using his Fairwarn. He's no god and I doubt you'll get a Fairwarn yourself but it's some good shred nonetheless. Notice, not every video has him using that, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/user/halcyon1871

LP's are some serious guitars, it may not look all that shred-worthy, but trust me, it's the br0otalz.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
in my opinion, if you can shred on one guitar you can shred on any. it might not be the most comfortable, but you can be sure that any of your favorite guitar players COULD make any guitar do what they want it to.

look at Estaban haha he decided since he could make a $100 piece of **** sound decent he was going to sell them to beginners, and it worked. my ex gf had one her mom bought. biggest piece of **** acoustic i've ever seen.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Malmsteen: Strat
Mick Mars: Strat
Zakk Wylde: Les Paul
Eddie Van Halen: Kramer/self-built
Jim Root: Telecaster
Kirk Hammet: Les Paul, ESP
MAB: Dean

There, those are some player who incorporate shred into their playing and don't use Ibanez.

You can shred on any guitar, if you can shred on one but not on another, it's either really differently set up or you just can't really shred.

Zakk Wylde isn't shredding, it's pinch harmonics.
depends on what you like, basically. Some people can shred on les pauls. If you're one of those, go for the les paul. Others hate the les paul- if you're one of those people, don't get a les paul. It's pretty simple.

Everyone showing examples of people who can and can't shred on a les paul is kinda missing the point, if you ask me, it doesn't matter if 10 million people can shred on a les paul if you can't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on what you like, basically. Some people can shred on les pauls. If you're one of those, go for the les paul. Others hate the les paul- if you're one of those people, don't get a les paul. It's pretty simple.

Everyone showing examples of people who can and can't shred on a les paul is kinda missing the point, if you ask me, it doesn't matter if 10 million people can shred on a les paul if you can't.

This guy is on the "who to listen to list" You should listen to him.

But no, seriously it all depends if you like the feel, if you can't shread on a Les paul then what's the point of getting it if you want to shred.
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really don't like how guitars themselves get pushed into genres of being able to play what. Its how and what the player plays that determine the playability, and its completely different to each player. I've played teh br00talz metal , and some pg stuff on a les paul(minus the 24th fret access) just as much as I've done it with my ibanez. I've played jazz and blues on my rgs just as much as i do on my les paul. Its ultimately up to the player like Dave said. I really wish people would stop classifying guitars into genre specific categories.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 30, 2009,
Buckhead's Les Paul is very different from any model currently in production. Longer scale, bigger frets, thinner neck, etc. Hardly the best example of "shred" on a Les Paul I feel, for those reasons.

Al Di Meola on the other hand...

Anyway, if you play a guitar and feel that it's design significantly limits your playing, don't buy it.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by mexican_shred
I really don't like how guitars themselves get pushed into genre's of being able to play what. Its how and what he player plays that determine the playability, and its completely different to each player. I've played teh br00talz metal , and some pg stuff on a les paul(minus the 24th fret access) just as much as I've done it with my ibanez. I've played jazz and blues on my rgs just as much as i do on my les paul. Its ultimately up to the player like Dave said. I really wish people would stop classifying guitars into genre specific categories.

Quote by Prophet of Page

Anyway, if you play a guitar and feel that it's design significantly limits your playing, don't buy it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
People always say how hard it is to have access to the higher frets, but I have a les paul and can hit the highest fret on the lowest string with my first finger. While that's really not practical it just shows how much I can move around that neck. Then again I have HUGE hands.

And my neck is a satin finish, along with the body, so the neck is really comfortable.

Just go for whatever is comfortable to you.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
If you honestly feel you need the extra 2 frets, the LP won't do it for you. Being able to shred is more dependant on the set-up and the skill rather than the guitar itself. I'm used to playing on bigger Gibson necks and I find myself being able to play faster and cleaner on them. I have my stuff just the way I like it though, so I don't expect to feel the same way about any guitar I pick up in a store. If it fits your hand well, then worry about the set-up so it's just right for you.

I personally don't like necks that are too thin. The LP has a much thicker sound to me that I love to give it even more points. If I didn't have one at my disposal in my basement, I would own one.
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1