Poll: What sound do you think is best?
Poll Options
View poll results: What sound do you think is best?
Peavey Revalver sample 1
0 0%
Peavey Revalver sample 2
0 0%
Peavey Revalver sample 3
0 0%
Gsuite Marshal sample
0 0%
Guitar Rig 3 sample
2 67%
Amplitube Metal sample
1 33%
Voters: 3.
Guitar Amp sim testing.

You can find all the sound samples on my profile, then in my own mp3s list, they will be named to match what they are.

A while ago i posted a thread showing how i double my guitars and how i get my guitar sound, now i have tried out other programs like Amplitube and Peavey's Revalver Mk III program, I have recorded some samples and info on how i got the sounds in them. If you like what you hear on any of the samples please leave a post on this thread and download the picture of the settings i used on that sample.

Test 1 - Gsuite Marshall 900

As you can see in the picture i included, i have a lot of gain turned up. In the sample i play the solo from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit song just to show what kind of sound i get. I have got some pretty good tones from this program which is free as well. The marshall GUI you will see in the picture came from the awesome guitarampmodeling.com website. Now by itself, this amp sim creates a lot of noise, so i added the Guitar Rig 3 demo as a effect with just the noise remover effect turned on, this got rid of a lot of the noise. The clean tones are not the best with this but when you download it, it comes with a Fender amp sim which is great for clean tones.

Test 2 - Guitar Rig 3 Ultrasonic amp

The ultrasonic amp in Guitar Rig 3 is just a Bogner amp sim. This is ok for messing about with but does sort of suck. I recorded a heavy sample with this and no noise removing effects, just the settings adjusted to stop it clipping. For all my music i record with The Noise, i use this amp sim and the Mesa Boogie amp sim in Guitar Rig 3. I double everything at least 3 times, two ultrasonic amps in the left and right speakers, and the boogie in the middle.

Test 3 - Amplitube Metal

For this i had the noise remover from Guitar Rig 3 turned on before i added Amplitube Metal.

This one sounds pretty good through bigger speakers but has way too much treble and hardly any mids, which it needs. The distortion is still better than Guitar Rig 3's which is lumpy or to trebly and hissy. I think the amp i used is meant to be a Mesa Boogie but i'm not sure. I got a preset for this sound from guitarampmodeling.com, it was for a Pantera sound and the dude who made it put a video of him using this sound for a Pantera cover.

Test 4 - Peavey Revalver Mk III

For this i had the noise remover from Guitar Rig 3 turned on before i added Peavey Revalver Mk III.

Now for this i played a heavy riff to show what kind of distortion you can get from the 6505+ amp sim. Its pretty good for having fun with again but once you have doubled things up a thousand times, it can get very muddy but this can all be fixed with an eq and turning the gain down.

Test 5 - Peavey Revalver Mk III test 2

For this i had the noise remover from Guitar Rig 3 turned on before i added Peavey Revalver Mk III.

This test was more of a classic rock, slightly AC/DC style guitar playing sample. I used the Triple XXX amp sim and had no where near as much gain on as i did with the 6505+ test. It sounds ok but needs to be doubled to thicken things up.

Test 6 - Peavey Revalver Mk III test 3

For this i had the noise remover from Guitar Rig 3 turned on before i added Peavey Revalver Mk III,

For this test i played some tapping and used the JSX Satriani amp sim. It all sounds a bit muffled to me and turning the treble up to 10 did not fix this but maybe with some kind of eq it could be fixed.

On all the samples where i used Guitar Rig 3, i was using the demo version, i don't want to pay hundreds for that piece of junk when i can use it for FREE. I was using the demo version of Amplitube Metal and Peavey Revalver Mk III because they cost too much for prgrams that don't sound that great. To hear what kind of sound i get using Guitar Rig 3 and doubling everything at least 3 times, take a look at the band profile on here called The Noise, i play the rhythm guitars and have programmed all the drums so far. If you like what you hear there, Take a look in the Musician Ads forum and you could maybe join up to The Noise, its all done online.

Now i would be interested in seeing if anyone else on here has ever been able to get close to the guitar sound on the Carcass album, Heartwork using the programs i used in my tests here.

And one last thing, when i used the noise remover from Guitar Rig 3, i did not adjust ANY settings on it, i just double clicked on list of things to choose and left it.

Now i will try to attach the pictures as soon as i can, i have had a lot of trouble attaching them because of this stupid 300Kb size limit.
Last edited by muckypup at Jun 30, 2009,
no, i play each track a couple of times. if my timing goes wrong though, i do cut bits to crush it into shape.