Page 1 of 2
Hello!

I'm thinking on buying some new pickups to my LTD M-100. Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm 13 years old so I can't really afford to buy a whole new guitar:/
i have an LTD F100FM, not my main guitar but i still play it while my other guitars are in the shop and i still love it, its a solid guitar, great playability. so yeah sure go for it, esp's (even the ltd's) are great guitars. go for it, just make sure you have a good amp. good pickups will still sound bad, through a crappy amp.
If it's a modeling amp, it really won't make a difference
My EMG 81/85 combo sounds the same on a Line 6/Peavey as my EMG Hz's and Seymour Douncans.
Noticeable on most tubes though
Seymour Duncans my friend (Y)
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
I'm playing on a Line 6 Spider III sometimes but most of the time I Play on the Line 6 Toneport UX2, planning to buy a new amp later tho...
To be honest, I would suggest that you keep saving your money until you can buy a quality tube amp. I've heard pretty decent reviews of the stock pickups on that guitar. A better amp would have the greatest effect on your tone, so try to put off spending until you can get a nice amp.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
maybe later, but right now I'm planning to buy pickups... Just because when I'm Palm muting it sounds wierd:/ And I'm palm muting like all the time(I play Metal/Thrash Metal)...
that my friend would be your technique, new pickups or even a new amp wont do anything at all for that.
Do you mean that I'm palm muting too hard? Because I did that before but now i'm not pushing down hard at all on the strings:/ help?
there are alot of different ways to do it, you gotta figure it out in different situations, I've played songs that require me to mute alot, and some that just need a light touch. It also makes a huge difference where you put your hand.
yeah, I know, but I like to put my hand on the "Start"(?) of the bridge so that it touches the strings just a little. And I don't put too much pressure on the strings either...
eww, you sure? I'd suggest duncans, but I'm not a huge fan of actives for guitar. they're OK if you want a one trick pony, but if you ever find a need for cleans or anything other than metal you'll be SOL, they will make a bit of a difference in sound though(not enough to justify 200$ spent)
yeah, i'm pretty shure... I have listened to both EMGs, Duncans, and DiMarzios... I think that the Emgs sounds best... But thats me, maybe you like the duncans best... And yeah, The EMG 81/60 is good for cleans too...
Sounds to me like you knew what you were going to do before you even started this thread. Have fun with your $200+ "upgrade" that will have zero effect on your tone or tecnical "wierdness" of your palm muting.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Man, why do you sound so angry? It's just that I can't afford a Tube amp like a Marshall or Engl or something:/
Quote by MeanwiththeDean
Sounds to me like you knew what you were going to do before you even started this thread. Have fun with your $200+ "upgrade" that will have zero effect on your tone or tecnical "wierdness" of your palm muting.

+1
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Ero_
Man, why do you sound so angry? It's just that I can't afford a Tube amp like a Marshall or Engl or something:/

We just want to help you understand that spending $200 on EMGs is not going to give you the sound you hear in the sound clips. You need a good amp before you start throwing money at the guitar; the amp is where most of the tone comes from. Save your money and you will be much happier in the long run.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Yeah, alright. But if I buy a Marshall MG 15, does that make a diffrence or is it just tube amps?:s
Quote by Ero_
Yeah, alright. But if I buy a Marshall MG 15, does that make a diffrence or is it just tube amps?:s

Crap man, now you're going from bad suggestions to the worst suggestion possible.

Just save your money for something that'll make a massive difference in your tone.

In the mean time, keep practicing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
hehe, ok. But can you suggest a amp that will make a difference then:P
Quote by Ero_
hehe, ok. But can you suggest a amp that will make a difference then:P

Just get the Roland Cube. Its got quite a number of amp models that will give you a variety of tones to mess around with.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Just get the Roland Cube. Its got quite a number of amp models that will give you a variety of tones to mess around with.

again, that would make the EMGs rather pointless. A quite cheap decent tube amp is the peavey valveking.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
ok, which one do you recommend? should I buy the 30 watt or should I go with some bigger stuff? I'm living in a residential area, so I can't buy too big amps... Then the neighbours will kill me

EDIT: I meant the Roland Cube if you are wondering
Last edited by Ero_ at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Ero_

EDIT: I meant the Roland Cube if you are wondering

honestly i'll probably get flamed for this but i'll say it anyway. Having had a go on both i don't even think the cube is that much of an upgrade from a line 6 spider, that would be a bigger waste of money than the EMGs imo.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
ok, what about the Randall KH15? Will that change my tone? I'm a great fan of Kirk:p...
Just wondering...
or post which amp you think will change my tone instead. Then I will look what it costs in sweden
maybe i've found the right amp... Since I will just have it to practise on, i'll probably buy the peavy Valveking royal 8. I think that one will suit me perfectly And it's a tube amp too

Thanks all of you, but maybe most to "eddiehimself" who gave me the tip about the valveking and to "Rogue Hermit", "MeanwiththeDean" and "ragingkitty" because they told me too buy a new amp before buying pickups to my guitar, just because it will affect my tone more than buying new pickups at the moment Maybe I'll buy some pickups later but for now as I undersand it, it's more important with a tube amp(correct me if I'm wrong).
Quote by Ero_
maybe i've found the right amp... Since I will just have it to practise on, i'll probably buy the peavy Valveking royal 8. I think that one will suit me perfectly And it's a tube amp too

Thanks all of you, but maybe most to "eddiehimself" who gave me the tip about the valveking and to "Rogue Hermit", "MeanwiththeDean" and "ragingkitty" because they told me too buy a new amp before buying pickups to my guitar, just because it will affect my tone more than buying new pickups at the moment Maybe I'll buy some pickups later but for now as I undersand it, it's more important with a tube amp(correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm glad to see you decided to follow the advice of the forum. It's a decision you won't regret.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
of course
You guys are probably a bit older than me and you have more experience than me, so why not listen? The royal 8 does only cost $200 I think, can't really count USD in Swedish SEK
But something like that... And the Valveking 112 cost like $600 here so maybe I'll save my money for that, 5 watts is too little, isn't it?
Quote by Ero_
of course
You guys are probably a bit older than me and you have more experience than me, so why not listen? The royal 8 does only cost $200 I think, can't really count USD in Swedish SEK
But something like that... And the Valveking 112 cost like $600 here so maybe I'll save my money for that, 5 watts is too little, isn't it?

The 112 would probably be better, the royal 8 is a good practice amp but you'd need to add a distortion pedal to it or something as i think it's only got one channel.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
The 112 would probably be better, the royal 8 is a good practice amp but you'd need to add a distortion pedal to it or something as i think it's only got one channel.

Yeah, I think so too... Listened to The 112 on youtube, at least I think it sounds amazing. But I have never owned a tube amp so a have nothing to compare it with:p...

The Line 6 was my first amp, maybe I'll sell it, maybe I'll keep it
But listen to this clip, I think it sounds amazing as I said before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ
Quote by eddiehimself
again, that would make the EMGs rather pointless. A quite cheap decent tube amp is the peavey valveking.

Heh? I thought he was not gonna go with the EMGS anymore?

Meh, missed so much of the thread tha... ah anyways... good luck TS... good thing you decided to listen to the forums.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
If you could afford a blackstar HT-5 then I'd recommend one. Great small amp and awesome tones AND rediculously cheap for what it is too. It costs more than EMGs but I guarantee the tone improvement would be more worth while.
Quote by supergerbil
If you could afford a blackstar HT-5 then I'd recommend one. Great small amp and awesome tones AND rediculously cheap for what it is too. It costs more than EMGs but I guarantee the tone improvement would be more worth while.

Is that a Combo, head or a cab? Can't find a picture on it
it comes as a combo, or a head and cab. My advice is, if you have the money, get the HT5 head and the Valve Jr cab, The HT-5 is an awesome little amp, vvith plenty of povver, unless you vvant to play with steroid drummer it'll vvork
Quote by kurtebirdi
it comes as a combo, or a head and cab. My advice is, if you have the money, get the HT5 head and the Valve Jr cab, The HT-5 is an awesome little amp, vvith plenty of povver, unless you vvant to play with steroid drummer it'll vvork

Ok, but the thing is that I can't play with too high volume, and I will just use it to record with at home, and if I shall play with it "live" I'll buy a cab to the amp, so if I choose, I would choose the combo just because I live in a house where its three houses in a long house(sounds wierd I know)(a residential area if you know what that is) and the neigbours will go mad if I play with to high volume wich makes me mad
Well you can get 1x12 cabs made by blackstar. The amp is designed for recording and sounds awesome at low volumes. It also has an emulated outpt too.

The head would be more versatile in the long run as you can add another 1x12 to make it louder. On the other hand the comvo may be slightlly cheaper, but not by much.

Overall the head and their 1x12 cab would suit you perfectly.
ok, nice
Gonna see what it costs here, then make a decision

sorry if I have not been writing here for a while, I have been busy with other things
The peavey xxx series 112 is really nice for metal. i have the 212 version and love it. You'll need to save up, though. Save up for an amp first. Even my stock bronze warlock sounds decent through my xxx.

And a set of EMGs with the 18vmod are not a "one trick pony". Especially if you have a nice tube amp.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Jul 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 2