So a friend of mine has a Hamer guitar and he says the one pickup stopped working. It's a simple 2 humbucker guitar with a 3 way toggle, master volume, and master tone. He said he took it to our local shop and the dude says the pickup is "blown out".

I've never heard of this, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I told him I'll look at it for him because my guess is that one of the wires connected to the pickup selector can off, and if that's the case I can fix that in seconds with out him having to pay for the shop to do it.

So my question is obvious.
Can a pickup be blown out? and if so could you explain what actually has to go on for that to happen?

Thanks
www.myspace.com/diectomy
there is probably a loose solder connection. a pickup wouldn't "blow out" unless you threw your guitar at the ground or something
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
About the only way would be if you plugged your guitar into the speaker out of a head. More likely a bad connection somewhere.
what can you blow in a pickup? copper wires? lol if it stopped working just rewire the thing, i assume its a pretty old guitar
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
My brother left a guitar plugged in a few years ago, and somehow it melted the plastic parts of the pickup and part of the scratchplate. I don't see how it could actually blow out though... It's probably just not working properly.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
My brother left a guitar plugged in a few years ago, and somehow it melted the plastic parts of the pickup and part of the scratchplate. I don't see how it could actually blow out though... It's probably just not working properly.
If you had an improperly grounded amp and it shorted to ground through the metal parts of the guitar then bad things could happen like this including possibly a blown pup.
I don't think its likely, I just rewired my girlfriends 50 year old guitar, and the pickups were fine. If you can rewire it yourself, or change some parts like a new jack etc.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The only way that i could think of would be if the one pickup(and somehow not the other one) was caught in an EMP(electro-magnetic pulse) blast. EMPs only come from nuclear bombs, emp bombs, and massive space storms that hit earth about once every couple million years(hasnt happened lately to my knowledge). So unless you live in a warzone, near a recently blown neclear power plant, or in a space station; the pickup probably hasnt "blown".
Quote by fly135
If you had an improperly grounded amp and it shorted to ground through the metal parts of the guitar then bad things could happen like this including possibly a blown pup.

I'm not sure how it happened, I just remember coming upstairs and seeing plastic parts of the guitar melting
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Pickups generally don't stop working, like the guys above said open it up and check on all the wiring and soldering joints.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

unless you build your own actives, then wire them backwards, and connect them with unshielded wire, i dont think you can blow out a pickup.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ