anyone try any of his lessons out? he seems like he knows a lot but then again it seems like u can get a lot of the info he preaches elsewhere on internet and he seems like he knows a lot cause he is trying to act like he does.

just wondering if anyone had any luck with his lessons
I've taken lessons with Tom for a long time (about 5 years). I learned a tremendous amount from him and became a professional musician as a result of his training.

About finding stuff on the internet, yes, you could find "some" of the information for free, but the bulk of the value for me was in putting everything together and learning how to master and make sense of all of the information. I couldn't have done on my own what I learned from him.

By the way, you can check out my student profile page on his website here: http://tomhess.net/Students/MikePhilippov.aspx and there are also other very kickass players on his site here: http://tomhess.net/Students.aspx
Last edited by Mike_Philippov at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Mike_Philippov
I've taken lessons with Tom for a long time (about 5 years). I learned a tremendous amount from him and became a professional musician as a result of his training.

About finding stuff on the internet, yes, you could find "some" of the information for free, but the bulk of the value for me was in putting everything together and learning how to master and make sense of all of the information.

By the way, you can check out my student profile page on his website here: http://tomhess.net/Students/MikePhilippov.aspx and there are also other very kickass players on his site here: http://tomhess.net/Students.aspx

tom?

is that you?

kidding!!!!
Tom comes off as a real asshole in his articles and advertising, but I can assure you that he is an absolutely killer teacher and performer.
I dunno, whenever I hear his students talk about him, it always seems like they're just advertising for him
Of course, maybe what they say is true.
Then again, the following passage from his website is why I'm not too sure about this guy:

Question: $59 is a lot of money for me because I am a teenager. If possible, I would like to buy one lesson, and if that really does help, then I’ll move onto a regular schedule. $59 on a monthly basis would be a major budget strain. But music is really important to me, and I do think it would be really cool to have a mentor like you. So I hope you are willing to do a single lesson, so I can really see what it's like before committing myself.

Answer: If $59 is a lot of money, it is a lot of money. So it doesn't really matter if the lessons are great or not, if you believe you cannot afford it, then you can't afford it. With this type of thinking, there is nothing for you to consider. However, if you are absolutely committed to achieving your goals, then you WILL find a way to save or earn $1.40 per day ($59 per 6 weeks) to make that happen. The issue is not whether you are going to commit to me, it’s whether or not you are going to commit to yourself to achieve what you want. Why have you searched out a teacher, tracked me down, and come to my website? It is probably because you were not getting the results you wanted on your own, or with another teacher, for whatever reason.

because he's basically saying "if you're not willing to cough up money for lessons, you're not commited and you're going nowhere"
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 3, 2009,
I always wondered if they get discounts if they advertise for him.

He sounds so manipulative in the way he writes online...

He throws out insults and compliments in order to lift your hopes about yourself and guilt you into taking lessons it seems.
No, there are no discounts, I pay for lessons just like everybody else

I am more than happy to refer students to Tom simply because I learned to play guitar like I always wanted by studying with him and I am thankful to him for that.
I would be just as happy to have a teacher like him, but I don´t think I could bring myself to make the infomercial type videos. It wouldn´t feel like me.

Right now I´m improving faster than I was hoping, but if I slow down he´s probably the teacher I´ll go to.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Vlasco
I always wondered if they get discounts if they advertise for him.

He sounds so manipulative in the way he writes online...

He throws out insults and compliments in order to lift your hopes about yourself and guilt you into taking lessons it seems.

exactly, he kinda puts it like he's your only chance at success, and that kind of advertising really turns me off.
BUT again, I have no idea of the actual quality of his lessons.
Quote by CoreysMonster
exactly, he kinda puts it like he's your only chance at success, and that kind of advertising really turns me off.
BUT again, I have no idea of the actual quality of his lessons.

His lessons are all about perspective. He expects you to have the drive to practice technique yourself, but shows you the best ways to practice, how to break things down so practice actually helps, and throws out all sorts of ideas for you to much on about songwriting and technique.

It´s mostly a lesson in understanding the actual music, with technique coming as a bonus when you understand how everything is constructed and works together.
Tom Hess' lessons are not really lessons, in that he spews a lot of garbage about what he's going to teach without really teaching it.

The incredible amount of 'students' who all have similarly laid out usernames (There are a couple in this thread, wow, what a surprise), and tend to have eastern european sounding surnames is astounding.

So far as I'm concernerd, Hess never delivers what he promises.
Quote by IvanGroznij
philippov is the real, he writes articles for this site too and they are great, very helpful

edit: just found thist, he dude is a sick player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fE0DkPuG4

how do you do that vibrato without a wammy?

Vibrato like that is quite easy and almost standard among metal players. I would also like to say (no offence or anything Mike) that the playing is reasonably fast and clean but...yawn much? It's just the same neo-classical stuff that Hess himself does and is at the more boring end of the neo-classical line to me as well...

I'm afraid, from what I've seen, I must agree with Mazzakazza; he talks a big game but I've never seen him expound on any ideas that aren't anything more than common sense (at least to me). I also have a very hard time believing that he would be able to help me achieve my musical goals like he says he can unless he has some as yet undisplayed skills in jazz fusion...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That´s why you find a jazz fusion teacher then!

What I don´t like about Hess is that his playing - and lessons I presume - have WAY too strong of an emphasis on lots of arpeggios in melody lines. That gets old fast. His arpeggio voicings are nice and often textbook if you know much about composition, but it gets boring.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Tom Hess' lessons are not really lessons, in that he spews a lot of garbage about what he's going to teach without really teaching it.

The incredible amount of 'students' who all have similarly laid out usernames (There are a couple in this thread, wow, what a surprise), and tend to have eastern european sounding surnames is astounding.

So far as I'm concernerd, Hess never delivers what he promises.

May i ask how you get this information? were you ever a student? the only negative comments i've ever heard about tom was about people who never studied with him. It seems that his students are all happy with their own playing, so (whether oyu like their playing or not), it's more believable to listen to them
You also have to understand that most of the best students that come from Hess had a very solid technique when going in. All Hess does is polish up an already very solid player. The thing is that it is that polish that sets a great player apart from an amazing player.

This is something all high price super technique teachers do... just most don´t have the annoying advertising.
Quote by Vlasco
That´s why you find a jazz fusion teacher then!

But that's kind of the point, if he really is able to help any student reach their musical goals then he should be perfectly able to help me with mine but I have never seen any evidence that he has even the slightest skill outside of neoclassical metal.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The technique is the same, and the theory can be learned. I know plenty of jazz teachers that teach kids to rock like mofos all the time. Perhaps he just doesn´t like jazz so much?

We have established that Hess sounds like an ass in his advertising, but he is still a very solid teacher. There are tons of teachers out there as good as him but that play other genres, so it´s best to pick one most suitable.
Quote by Vlasco
You also have to understand that most of the best students that come from Hess had a very solid technique when going in. All Hess does is polish up an already very solid player. The thing is that it is that polish that sets a great player apart from an amazing player.

This is something all high price super technique teachers do... just most don´t have the annoying advertising.

totally NOT true in my case bro. I can't speak for all of Tom's students, since I don't know them all, but I do know very well all of his very best students (and worked wiht many of them) and most of them (including myself) were early intermediate players when we started with him.

these two guys in particular: http://tomhess.net/Students/ZackUidl.aspx and http://tomhess.net/Students/AngelZamora.aspx
Quote by Vlasco
The technique is the same, and the theory can be learned. I know plenty of jazz teachers that teach kids to rock like mofos all the time. Perhaps he just doesn´t like jazz so much?

We have established that Hess sounds like an ass in his advertising, but he is still a very solid teacher. There are tons of teachers out there as good as him but that play other genres, so it´s best to pick one most suitable.

I'm not actually looking for a teacher anyway, I can't afford it

BUT it has been said many times by people much wiser than me: "It's easier to teach a jazz player to play metal than it is to teach a metal player to play jazz." The mentality behind the playing is just so completely different.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It is true, but as I said - the technique is exactly the same and all that differs is the theory. Theory is best learned away from a guitar lesson, it´s stuff you can learn with guidance but largely from textual information. For me at least - I like learning from texts.

Quote by Mike_Philippov
totally NOT true in my case bro. I can't speak for all of Tom's students, since I don't know them all, but I do know very well all of his very best students (and worked wiht many of them) and most of them (including myself) were early intermediate players when we started with him.

these two guys in particular: http://tomhess.net/Students/ZackUidl.aspx and http://tomhess.net/Students/AngelZamora.aspx

That depends entirely upon what you call an intermediate player. And I did say most, as most of those I met and spoke too were already what I would call pretty advanced when they began.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
But that's kind of the point, if he really is able to help any student reach their musical goals then he should be perfectly able to help me with mine but I have never seen any evidence that he has even the slightest skill outside of neoclassical metal.

He doesn't teach every type of student, nor does he claim to do so. You are right, most of his students are rock, metal, shred, blues guys. I don't know any of his students who are classical or fusion players.
All the upscale jazz teachers I know say the same thing - they can help anyone reach their goals. But if I wasn´t going for jazz I just wouldn´t go to them.
Quote by Mike_Philippov
He doesn't teach every type of student, nor does he claim to do so. You are right, most of his students are rock, metal, shred, blues guys. I don't know any of his students who are classical or fusion players.

Unless you delve relatively deep into his FAQs on the website you'd never know that he doesn't teach anything more than basic jazz and yet in all his videos and literature he claims to be able to help any student achieve their musical goals. Excuse me if I think he should stop talking such a big game, cut the bull**** and just say "Hey guys, I'm really good at teaching neoclassical metal!"

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
And as I said before - his advertisements suck. But his teaching is still great. The question was whether the teaching is good or not, which it is. He just isn´t fun to read about. Or very fun to read about depending on how you look at it.
Quote by Vlasco
It is true, but as I said - the technique is exactly the same and all that differs is the theory. Theory is best learned away from a guitar lesson, it´s stuff you can learn with guidance but largely from textual information. For me at least - I like learning from texts.

That depends entirely upon what you call an intermediate player. And I did say most, as most of those I met and spoke too were already what I would call pretty advanced when they began.

Fair enough...in my case, I couldn't sweep pick at all, had hardly any knowledge of theory (beyond basic chords), couldn't improvise my way out a paper bag and all my music sounded the same and inexpressive. That was when I started lessons with him.

It sounds like you really were a student of Tom, in which case you probably know who I am (if you spent any time browsing Tom's forum and his site). May I ask what your real name is?

I can't recall you from an alias, but I do know most of Tom's students by name (at least vaguely).
Quote by Mike_Philippov
Fair enough...in my case, I couldn't sweep pick at all, had hardly any knowledge of theory (beyond basic chords), couldn't improvise my way out a paper bag and all my music sounded the same and inexpressive. That was when I started lessons with him.

It sounds like you really were a student of Tom, in which case you probably know who I am (if you spent any time browsing Tom's forum and his site). May I ask what your real name is?

I can't recall you from an alias, but I do know most of Tom's students by name (at least vaguely).

From what I know Tom is great at teaching concepts, then allowing you do learn the rest yourself. That´s the kind of teacher I need, I´m good at practicing by my lonesome but sometimes need someone to point out the next thing to look at or another thing I haven´t noticed that´s related to what I´m already doing.

No, I´m just a stalker

And I talked to Tim Gibson for a while while I was visiting my sister in Tempe Arizona. Very sharp player, that Tim.

I don´t like any of the teachers in this area at all, I´m thinking about trying correspondance with Tom to see how it goes. Right now I´m progressing way faster than I thought I would, so I´ll let my progress stale first.
He seems to really know his stuff, and is pretty much THE internet guitar guru, but the way he talks and the way his students talk about him make him seem like the internet guitar L Ron Hubbard.

Although I think he puts too much on technical ability rather than phrasing and writing solos with alot of feeling and the like, but I don't know that for sure.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jul 3, 2009,
that dude keeps emailing me

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by TheBurningFish

Although I think he puts too much on technical ability rather than phrasing and writing solos with alot of feeling and the like, but I don't know that for sure.

No, that's not true. Look at this as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t3qf0j69Lk
Quote by Vlasco

No, I´m just a stalker

And I talked to Tim Gibson for a while while I was visiting my sister in Tempe Arizona. Very sharp player, that Tim.

I don´t like any of the teachers in this area at all, I´m thinking about trying correspondance with Tom to see how it goes. Right now I´m progressing way faster than I thought I would, so I´ll let my progress stale first.

Tim is a great player. I haven't personally met him but have worked with him on a Compilation CD and other projects.
Tom teaches the way I like teachers to teach. He gives you the know-how to write a really melodic solo and the technique to play it at 6000000 bpm 16th notes if you really want to. You can use the technique or not... but it´s nice to have.

Tim is fantastic, he got me hooked on Dava Picks and Madison amps. I love them both.

Never heard of HESSFEST. Would have been cool to check him out there. When will he be coming back to Frankfurt if you know?
Quote by Vlasco
Tom teaches the way I like teachers to teach. He gives you the know-how to write a really melodic solo and the technique to play it at 6000000 bpm 16th notes if you really want to. You can use the technique or not... but it´s nice to have.

Tim is fantastic, he got me hooked on Dava Picks and Madison amps. I love them both.

Never heard of HESSFEST. Would have been cool to check him out there. When will he be coming back to Frankfurt if you know?

http://www.tomhess.net/HessFest.aspx

This page has all details and updates. As far as I know, the European Hessfest is once per year, but I don't know the dates (he announces them in the newsletter).
Last edited by Mike_Philippov at Jul 3, 2009,
I follow him on Twitter....that's about it XD

I'm honestly not real familiar with him.
but I'm also not much of a shred player.

he seems like a cool guy to me though, and I'm yet to hear anything bad about him or his lessons.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by IvanGroznij
May i ask how you get this information? were you ever a student? the only negative comments i've ever heard about tom was about people who never studied with him. It seems that his students are all happy with their own playing, so (whether oyu like their playing or not), it's more believable to listen to them

Hi Tom/his associates.

OK, let's do a search for all posts made by Mike_Philippov

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=188164

How many plugs for Hess?

And for IvanGroznij...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=188180

I see he starts a topic in which Philippov then sticks Hess into...a pattern, maybe?
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Jul 4, 2009,
I always lol so hard at how he describes himself as a successful professional musician. In fact he was a guest musician in holyhell, which was the support act of what I'd call a successful band...
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.