I been wanting to get a mexican strat but i been wondering how can i tell the difference between a squier strat and a feder strat. Because all a person can do is put a strat neck on a squier body and claim its a fender strat.

All i have is to ask to see the paperwork to see if its genuine
Thanks for the help
quality of the body wood and how everything's wired.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
doesn't a squier say squier on the headstock?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by randomhero93
quality of the body wood and how everything's wired.

+1
Noticeable difference in quality
If you are buying from a decent shop it's unlikely they would try to trick you. Just trust the seller.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
well im getting it off craiglist since everything is cheaper
and im not really experienced in telling apart wood or how the wiring should look =\
Quote by padgea7x
doesn't a squier say squier on the headstock?

Yes, but in the post, it said that someone could just put a fender neck on a squier body....But, you could say that about any guitar really....There's no way to be 100% sure it's a real fender and not a squier. Other than watching it come out of the factory yourself. I suppose getting it bran new out of the box is as close to being sure as you will ever get.

But the electronics are probably the best way to tell. Pull off the PickGuard. If the wiring looks nice and neat, with quality shiny parts, it's probably a fender.

Also, go to a guitar shop and play both Fender and Squier. Because the best way to tell the difference is just by the feel of the guitar. To me, the Fender's action seems much lighter and easier to play than the Squier.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Dunno if this applies to all, but on my friends Squier Strat, the pickup rods are all at the same height. On my US Strat, they're all different. Someone in the shop might have changed them before I bought it, but just something I noticed.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
Pickups arent that great and the neck plate also says squier, but that could be changed as well as the neck.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by kineas
Dunno if this applies to all, but on my friends Squier Strat, the pickup rods are all at the same height. On my US Strat, they're all different. Someone in the shop might have changed them before I bought it, but just something I noticed.
That means nothing. Seymour Duncan make most of their singlecoils in two versions: one with flat rods and one with staggered pole pieces. Any Strat with a more curved raidus fretboard will have staggered pole piece pickups, any Strat with a modern flatter radius fretboard will use flat pole pieces. It's got nothing to do with who made the guitar, even Squier's crappy ceramic pickups follow this same rule.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
That means nothing. Seymour Duncan make most of their singlecoils in two versions: one with flat rods and one with staggered pole pieces. Any Strat with a more curved raidus fretboard will have staggered pole piece pickups, any Strat with a modern flatter radius fretboard will use flat pole pieces. It's got nothing to do with who made the guitar, even Squier's crappy ceramic pickups follow this same rule.

Ok. All I was saying was that comparing my Fender Strat to my friends Squier Strat, that's a difference I noticed. Like I said, I wasn't sure if it applied to all Strats.

+1 ego boost for you though.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
I would look at it this way...

If the guy has 2 Strats, a Fender and A Squier. And you think he swaped the necks and is selling you the one with the Fender Neck / Squier Body....You got the better end of the deal.

The difference between the Fender Neck and Squier Neck is MUCH bigger than the differnce between the bodies.
And Fender Necks are Fabulous, Squire necks, not so much...
Other than the electronics, The neck is where most problems with a guitar come from, NOT the body. And Fender makes very high quality Necks. (even the made in mexico ones)

If you're concerned about the electronics/pickups, you can get Fender Pre Wired PickGuards on ebay relatively cheap, like 30$ or so.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jun 30, 2009,
If you can't tell the difference, then whose worrying! Perhaps I should add that wasn't a dig against you, it's more of a dig against all the fender vs Sq snobs. Truthfully I don't believe that you really get that much extra bang for your bucks by buying a fender instead of a Squier.

Thrench
Serial Code? Just suggesting...
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.