Page 1 of 2
So ive been lookin at the Peavey 5150 on ebay, and everyone list this as an EVH sig head, is this the same head everyone says to get? i know bands that use them that play metal, and i never really associated EVH with downtuned heavy metal, so is there a different 5150 or can it just do more than i think it can?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
there are 3 types of 5150's

the Regular 5150 the 5150II and the 5150 II
the 5150 is the exact same thing as the 6505 and the II is the same as the 6505+
the 5150 III does not sound like a 5150, it sounds like a Soldano SLO.
and the 5150 III is made by EVH(AKA Fender)m while the other two are made by Peavey
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jun 30, 2009,
I think there all the same. Evh is just a logo nothing really to do with a custom head. He already has custom heads. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
They're the same, just like a 6505 is the same as a 5150.

Good choice
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Awesome heads. I got one a few months ago, sounds great. If you're looking at one of the older ones, be advised that they are really noisy, you'll need to get a noise suppressor.
MAD STACKS
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
They're the same, just like a 6505 is the same as a 5150.

Good choice

so does your 6505 get a ton of gain? i want to make sure this thing can do what i want it to do, im basically looking for a budget version of a Dual Rec.
It has plenty of gain my friend, I've never had to dial the gain full

and when it's cranked, it blows ya head off
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
nope

If I remember correctly, they released the 6505 because Eddie kept the 5150 name for his fender amps, so they released the anniversary version of the amp, which is exactly the same, and named it the 6505.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Not that much more, but if you can get the 5150, get it by all means

I got a bargain on my 6505, they bet the internet price, and knocked an extra 25% off
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
I've owned one of those too, still got it. They're good amps imo, nice cleans and a nice overdriven sound. Nowhere near as heavy sounding as the 6505/5150's
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by vigenharutyunya
hmm but will for etal if with an od pedal right?

anything can do metal with an od pedal, and the tubes will help.

so, is the 6505/5150 a good substitute for a Dual Rec?
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Jun 30, 2009,
It should sound good

Good luck
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dimefan69
so does your 6505 get a ton of gain? i want to make sure this thing can do what i want it to do, im basically looking for a budget version of a Dual Rec.

they have a ridiculous amount of gain. i keep mine on 4 and it's plenty.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Dimefan69
anything can do metal with an od pedal, and the tubes will help.

so, is the 6505/5150 a good substitute for a Dual Rec?

The 5150 sounds nothing like a Dual Recto, so no, it's not a good substitute.

If you want a good substitute for a Recto, without buying a Mesa, get a Hughes and Kettner Warp X.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hughes and Kettner Warp X.

its much more expensive than the 5150
feel free to add me
1965 (Peavey's start date) + 2005 (year of name change) = 6505

Just FYI
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

Just FYI

didint know that.....
feel free to add me
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Great amp but like stated its no recto.. You might be better suited with a Peavey Triple its a bit more versatile and can get you closer to the tones you seek.

i didnt mean exact recto tone, i just meant alot of gain, plus ive heard that rectos are really saggy, not tight like i want it, i want something with alot of gain, and that has enough bass to give my chug a good bite.
Quote by Dimefan69
i didnt mean exact recto tone, i just meant alot of gain, plus ive heard that rectos are really saggy, not tight like i want it, i want something with alot of gain, and that has enough bass to give my chug a good bite.

The go with the 5150.. Extremely tight, has more gain and cut then you will never need and enough low end to hit you in the chest.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The go with the 5150.. Extremely tight, has more gain and cut then you will never need and enough low end to hit you in the chest.

sweet, thats what im lookin for!
Quote by Dimefan69
So ive been lookin at the Peavey 5150 on ebay, and everyone list this as an EVH sig head, is this the same head everyone says to get? i know bands that use them that play metal, and i never really associated EVH with downtuned heavy metal, so is there a different 5150 or can it just do more than i think it can?

Besides what everyone has said there are two versions of the original 5150 heads, a block letter version that has EVH on the front panel and a signature version that has his signature on it instead. The block letter came first and then the signature, not sure what year they changed to the signature though. Maybe that's what the seller was referring to.

In regards to why they have so much gain when Ed didn't play metal... It was posted on the Peavey forums a few weeks ago and basically when they were designing the amp he asked them to add another tube to the preamp which the designer though twas overkill since but Ed just wanted more gain without having to max it out like he had to do with the Marshall. You'd never know if more gain might be better if you couldn't turn it up more. He only played with the lead channel around 6.5.
Last edited by snowjay at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

its much more expensive than the 5150

No it's not, H&K have horrible resale value.

There was one up on HC a week or two ago for $675...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the 6505 looks like it has two channels with the same eq, and the plus looks like it has three with seperate eq's, is that correct?
Quote by MatrixClaw
No it's not, H&K have horrible resale value.

There was one up on HC a week or two ago for $675...

:eek
i might get one.......... if i have the money
feel free to add me
Quote by Van Noord

Just FYI

Nice try.
^Van Noord is actually right. eddie's contract with peavey ended in '05, so they could no longer use the 5150 moniker.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
^Van Noord is actually right. eddie's contract with peavey ended in '05, so they could no longer use the 5150 moniker.

but 5150+1965=7115?
Quote by sydbarrett?
but 5150+1965=7115?

19(65)+20(05)=6505
Quote by Mitchell?

Nice try.

MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
5150 is EVH "signature" number. at least it's the name of his stuido or something like that (he has 5150 stickered onto some of his franken strats). so when he went to peavey to make him a signature amp, he called it the 5150. no it will not do an eddie brown sound, since he used marshall's back then. it was designed as a mid-gain rock amp, just so happened it turned out to be a very capable brutal monster.

eventually peavey released the 5150 II. it's very similar but with some subtle differences. the original 5150 shared pre-amp tubes between the two channels, i think it had 4. the 5150 II has 5, three dedicated to the distortion channel, and two dedicated to the clean channel, resulting in a "better" clean channel and less distortion.

in 2005 peavey and evh parted ways and eddie took the 5150 name with him, and like mentioned already in this thread, the amp became the 6505. it's the exact same amp as a 5150, and the 6505 plus is the same as a 5150 II, and the 6505 name comes from combining the end of 1965 and 2005.

EDIT: just to make this post more comprehensive, there are two "versions" of the original 5150 head. block letter and signature. there is a difference, at least there was originally. the block letter head is distinguishable form the signature head in that the block letter had has EVH in big bold block font printed on the front control panel, and the "signature" version had eddies john handcock on the front instead of the lettering.

the block letter is generally considered more desirable, despite the two amps having identical schematics. the only difference in sound was that the "signature" version had cheaper tubes stock.

but by now all the amps are so old that they've definitely had tube changes from the original.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Last edited by gpderek09 at Jul 1, 2009,
double post: to answer the thread starter more directly: a 5150 will be a perfect amp for you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Page 1 of 2