So my friend and I were discussing the differences between PS3's and PC's and whether consoles + PC's may one day merge.

This led to the topic of installing Linux on your PS3 and using it as a PC. I know it's doable, but not idea.

My question is what specifically about the PS3 isn't suitable for being used with Linux as a PC? Is it the 512 MB of RAM that I think I read the PS3 has?
My Ps3 is most useful as a grill.

Also no way in hell do Ps3 have 512 mb of ram you can't even run flash games with that now.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I play PS3 for games.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
PC can do everything a ps3 can do and to a much higher standard. However most people know very little about obtaining a PC with sufficient gaming capability and prefer to go for a pre-built, standarised machine in the form of a console.

Before you say it's cheaper, this isn't about Value For Money, it's about which is best. I make that the PC, by a long way.
Quote by Sinister Waffle

Also no way in hell do Ps3 have 512 mb of ram you can't even run flash games with that now.

PS3 has 512 MB of RAM.

I could run Flash games on my old 200 MHz P1 with 32 MB of RAM...

Quote by piop
PC can do everything a ps3 can do and to a much higher standard. However most people know very little about obtaining a PC with sufficient gaming capability and prefer to go for a pre-built, standarised machine in the form of a console.

Before you say it's cheaper, this isn't about Value For Money, it's about which is best. I make that the PC, by a long way.

Agreed
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
PC is not a gaming device, so obviously does not have the limitations that a PS3 has outside of gaming.
The playground of the world
Quote by piop

indeed.

pc ftw. although i would like MGS 4
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Sinister Waffle

nope, PS3s have 512MB RAM,
"Beef, wtf?"
"Like cow, but with sauce"
Quote by Sinister Waffle

It actually probably has around that much, you'd be surprised what's actually inside the consoles. I'll look it up.
PCs have more potential for upgrades, more combatability for software, and more power.

I built my rig for around $900 without the monitor and the power it has is many times what the PS3 offers, for a bit more than the PS3 sells for.

To me, the PC is the superior choice. (Unless you buy some pre-made thing from Dell, HP, or the like.)
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Eddie4President
PC is not a gaming device, so obviously does not have the limitations that a PS3 has outside of gaming.

Except for gaming PCs, two of which I have in this very room with me lol.

PCs from PC world are non-gaming machines, granted.
Quote by no.mop
PS3 has 512 MB of RAM.

I could run Flash games on my old 200 MHz P1 with 32 MB of RAM...

Agreed

I has been served..
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
PCs have more potential for upgrades, more combatability for software, and more power.

I built my rig for around $900 without the monitor and the power it has is many times what the PS3 offers, for a bit more than the PS3 sells for.

To me, the PC is the superior choice. (Unless you buy some pre-made thing from Dell, HP, or the like.)

Yeah, building it yourself is the way to go

I can't think of any companies these days that are building them for you and aren't awful except, I think, Falcon NW is still making really nice stuff, but they're ridiculously priced...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

This says the PS3 has 256 MB or RAM.

So cut yours in half.

Quote by no.mop
Yeah, building it yourself is the way to go

I can't think of any companies these days that are building them for you and aren't awful except, I think, Falcon NW is still making really nice stuff, but they're ridiculously priced...

Falcon NW does have some nice rigs, but yes, at a ridiculous price.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
no.mop, Scan are building now, unless you were reffering to non-custom builders.
I have no reason to believe that any such company is offering a decent system that couldn't be made for half the price and some elbow grease xD
Quote by piop
no.mop, Scan are building now, unless you were reffering to non-custom builders.
I have no reason to believe that any such company is offering a decent system that couldn't be made for half the price and some elbow grease xD

I'll check them out, but yeah.. SO much cheaper to just do the minimal work yourself

Quote by yurfinlfntsy
http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

This says the PS3 has 256 MB or RAM.

So cut yours in half.

2x256

http://hack5.blogspot.com/2008/07/exclusive-playstation-3s-ram-and-rsx.html
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

this is like comparing a moped to a ninja (the bike)
Quote by Eddie4President

thats the dumbest thing ive heard in a few months. its like saying "ps3 is not a movie playing device"
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Last edited by Strato-Massacre at Jun 30, 2009,
^^PCs aren't gaming devices. their main intention is not for gaming.
Quote by saw7988
So my friend and I were discussing the differences between PS3's and PC's and whether consoles + PC's may one day merge.

This led to the topic of installing Linux on your PS3 and using it as a PC. I know it's doable, but not idea.

My question is what specifically about the PS3 isn't suitable for being used with Linux as a PC? Is it the 512 MB of RAM that I think I read the PS3 has?

there's nothing wrong with it at all, as long as you use yellow dog.

ubuntu and most other linux OSes may not work on it as well because there aren't any drivers available. you'd have to create the drivers on your own for the PS3 to completely work.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by metaldud536
But they do gaming quite well if I do say so myself ol'chap.

well, yes. obviously.
Sent from my iPad.
pc cause you can torrent all the games you want.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon