i've heard this term thrown around all over the place, but what is it exactly? how does one go about raising the action on one's bass and what effect does it have?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
the action is the height of the strings on the bass. so raising it would raise the height of the strings. you can do this by fiddlin with the saddles on the bridge. and lowering it can give it a better feel, and raising it can prevent fret buzz
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Yeah, usually its adjusted with alan wrenches on the saddles of the bridge.

Lowering the action on your strings will make them looser, and easier to press down. The downside is that you will get more fret buzz.

Raising the action gets you a "tighter" clearer sound, but you have to press your fingers down on the strings harder and it will get your fingers tired very quickly(especially on bass)

When adjusting the action, be sure to adjust all your strings evenly. You should be able to hold your guitar up eye level with the strings, and they should look flat.
Quote by Vypor

When adjusting the action, be sure to adjust all your strings evenly. You should be able to hold your guitar up eye level with the strings, and they should look flat.

Not necessarily. Depends on what bass you have. "Old school" styled basses have a large fingerboard radius and in turn the action of the strings follow that curve. On more modern day styled basses the radius is pretty small and pretty much flat.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Greenday389
Not necessarily. Depends on what bass you have. "Old school" styled basses have a large fingerboard radius and in turn the action of the strings follow that curve. On more modern day styled basses the radius is pretty small and pretty much flat.

the larger the radius of the fingerboard, the flatter it is. if a fingerboard has a 8" radius, then that means that the surface of the fingerboard curves along an arc of a circle 8" in radius, and a completely flat fingerboard has a radius of infinity
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
the larger the radius of the fingerboard, the flatter it is. if a fingerboard has a 8" radius, then that means that the surface of the fingerboard curves along an arc of a circle 8" in radius, and a completely flat fingerboard has a radius of infinity

That makes sense. . .Well then just take what I said but switch the small and large words.
Bass is my life.