I was hoping someone here had the 7 harmonic/melodic minor modes tabbed out. It would be really appreciated
If you need them tabbed out for you, you don't have the requisite knowledge to understand or use them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Hey, Ultimate-Guitar has a short lesson on what you seek. Look . It's the first one.
You get out of your instrument what you put into it.
They are all almost impossible to use, especially if your still at the stage where you want tabs of a scale, which clearly shows that you don't understand what a scale is.

Stick with major and minor for now.
Lol I clearly don't understand what a scale is because I'm looking for the tab shape of them...I just have no desire to go through and write them down, I was hoping someone would have them written out already.
Proghead and Proud
Quote by SchecterAbuser7
Lol I clearly don't understand what a scale is because I'm looking for the tab shape of them...I just have no desire to go through and write them down, I was hoping someone would have them written out already.

Considering that each mode spans the entire neck, it's apparent that you don't know what you're asking. Go through each permutation of the scale and see what notes you get - then play those notes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I understand what I'm asking. Each mode spans the entire neck because each mode has the same notes in it and those notes repeat themselves across the neck. I'm looking for their shapes. Dorian spans the entire neck but most of us know the "Dorian shape" to be this:

----5------7-------9--------
----5------7-------8--------
----5------7----------------
Proghead and Proud
Here. just stick in different positions of the harmonic minor, et voila.

Alternatively, know your major scale and modes?
Harmonic minor:
I Ionian augmented (#5, gives an augmented triad), AKA Harmonic Major.
II Dorian #4
III Phygrian dominant (#3, gives you a dom7 chord in there hence the dominant)
IV Lydian #2
V Mixolydian #1 (weird, I know- but it makes life easier relating back to your major scale modes)
VI Harmonic minor (duh) or Aeolian #7
VII Locrian #6

Just move the numbers round if you want it for the harmonic minor, I like to roll from Ionian thru to Locrian 100% of the time.

Melodic minor:
A bloody mess since there's an ascending and descending form. Just use altered major scale modes, or use tabs of the melodic minor and start from different intervals. Move things up/ down 'til you're in the key you want.
Last edited by MopMaster at Jun 30, 2009,
You don't seem to understand what modes are. Start reading through the Crusade Articles so you can learn how scales are constructed, then you can learn about harmonic minor, when to use it, and the notes themselves so you can find them on the neck.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Having all the modes of any scale tabbed out all over the neck is pointless. If you understand the parent scale and understand modes you can play them all over the neck with that knowledge. If you don't understand them then you won't be able to use them effectively, and probably won't know when to use them anyway.

Listen to Archeo - he may not be the most diplomatic person here, but he's generally right.
I know a good fair chunk of music theory and I understand how scales are constructed and how to use them, but thank you all.

I also know what natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor are and how they're formed and how they're used too, but thank you for the assumptions with this as well.

It would be like a person knowing the major scale and how to play it on guitar but asking how to play the other 6 modes...people have figured out 3 note per string "shapes" that connect well together and I just want to know the "shapes" for the other 6 harmonic minor/melodic minor modes...more so harmonic minor really.

---5-----7---8------
---5--6----------9--
---5-----7-----------
------6--7-------9--
---5-----7---8------
---5-----7---8-------

Is the first "mode" and obviously to get the second mode I would just start on the 7th fret and play up an octave...but the fingerings I'm looking for are obviously shifting up a position and working up more like this

ect...
---7-----9-----------
---7--8--------11--
---7--8----10------
Proghead and Proud
Look man, we were trying to help. If you want to be an asshole about it, go right ahead, but don't expect many favors. I guess I'll be an asshole too. You have no idea what modes are. I'm sure you know the names but beyond that you must be clueless. If you know a shape for harmonic minor then you know a shape for all of it's modes. If that hasn't processed yet then clearly you don't know enough about theory to understand. Modes are not shapes.

If you want to know different shapes for harmonic minor or melodic minor or whatever then you have two choices: Google or work them out yourself. It's not as hard as you're making it. Hell, you started making one in your last post. Why do you need our help?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Oh gawd...lol. I know what modes are, the theory behind them and the useage of them. Most of the people in this thread have just been saying "You don't know ****", including yourself.

"You don't seem to understand what modes are"

I was just hoping someone could do a simple copy-paste of the harmonic minor modes and their 6th string root shapes...
Proghead and Proud
Quote by MopMaster
Here. just stick in different positions of the harmonic minor, et voila.

Alternatively, know your major scale and modes?
Harmonic minor:
I Ionian augmented (#5, gives an augmented triad), AKA Harmonic Major.
II Dorian #4
III Phygrian dominant (#3, gives you a dom7 chord in there hence the dominant)
IV Lydian #2
V Mixolydian #1 (weird, I know- but it makes life easier relating back to your major scale modes)
VI Harmonic minor (duh) or Aeolian #7
VII Locrian #6

Just move the numbers round if you want it for the harmonic minor, I like to roll from Ionian thru to Locrian 100% of the time.

Melodic minor:
A bloody mess since there's an ascending and descending form. Just use altered major scale modes, or use tabs of the melodic minor and start from different intervals. Move things up/ down 'til you're in the key you want.

When people talk about the melodic minor, they typically mean the ascending form, since that is unique from the natural minor.

And harmonic major is actually a major scale with a flattened sixth, which is quite different from an ionian mode with an augmented fifth. Especially considering that the harmonic major has a major chord as its tonic, and is stable, while the ionian augmented has an augmented chord as its tonic, and is not stable.

Quote by SchecterAbuser7
I understand what I'm asking. Each mode spans the entire neck because each mode has the same notes in it and those notes repeat themselves across the neck. I'm looking for their shapes. Dorian spans the entire neck but most of us know the "Dorian shape" to be this:

----5------7----------------

I know that as the second shape of G major. There's no harmony, so there cannot be a modal vamp, or progression, and thus that passage is not modal, and resolves to G.

Quote by SchecterAbuser7
Oh gawd...lol. I know what modes are, the theory behind them and the useage of them. Most of the people in this thread have just been saying "You don't know ****", including yourself.

"You don't seem to understand what modes are"

I was just hoping someone could do a simple copy-paste of the harmonic minor modes and their 6th string root shapes...

The harmonic minor modes are nearly impossible to use. They are not shapes. Since you really want it, I'll make a diagram:

e----------------------
b----------------------
g----------------------
D-----------------2-3--
A---------1-3-4--------
E-1-3-4----------------

That's a tab for all seven relative modes of F harmonic minor. Use a chord progression and you will be playing F minor (NOT F harmonic minor). Vamp a Gdimnat13 and you will be playing the second mode. Vamp a Ab+ and you will be playing the third mode. Vamp a Bbmin#11 and you will be playing the fourth mode. Vamp a C7b13 and you will be playing the fifth mode. Vamp a Dbmaj#9 and you will be playing the sixth mode. Vamp a Edim7b11 and you will be playing the seventh mode