i play lead for my band, and while i bust out my theory-lacking random-note finger-burning kerry king solos, i often run out of space on my fretboard, because, well, i mvoe around too much, and i end up playing on the neck pickup. only problem is, theres no frets, so it's kinda only like one single note for the whole space. is there any way i can make my neck pickup fretted? so i can go up another few steps.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Not without really messing up your pickups. You could try getting either a baritone, or something like a Xiphos (27 frets) instead.

You could also remove the neck pickup and just add fingerboard, but the space between the frets would be tiny.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I think that would screw with the neck pickup's tone. If you dont care about it, then experiment all you want, but IMO I wouldnt do it. You should make do with the frets you have, I mean, Yngwie Malmsteen has only 21 frets and I think he's doing fine.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
If you were to put a fret on the neck pickup it wouldn't work properly as it would be at the wrong height for the fret to work or the pickup to work. It would also mean that the the neck pickup couldn't be used when using that fret.
maybe you could just find new ways of using what you have, i mean kerry king doesn't run out of frets in his solos...?
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
well not necessarily actual frets, just a countoured pickup with frets built into it, or a pickup cover maybe.
Quote by Steve46

You probably could, but honestly it would be easier for you to ditch the neck pickup and extend your fretboard.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i was thinking about that too, but i'm not really sure where to start. i don't really use the neck pickup anyway, so i don't mind losing it's tone or anything. and it doesn't have to be exact fret measurements, just so that i can play on the pickup easier. and also just to make my guitar stand out from everyone else's.
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Jun 30, 2009,
Maybe just get a knuckle slide?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Maybe just get a knuckle slide?

whats that?

nevermind, i looked it up. never heard of those though, only the bottleneck slides.
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Jun 30, 2009,
It's the same thing but maybe 1/3 as long. You can slide it up your finger so it doesn't get in the way while you play, and whip it out when you want to hit ridiculous atonal sounds. Great for pissing off the drummer during practice
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
i piss him off enough, he says i show off more than steve vai with my rampant soloing
Quote by Steve46

for pissing off a drummer, aint nothin like flipping the gears in his bass pedal when he's in the bathroom.

basses can go really far up there, I'd suggest making your top part fretless myself, because it's just gonna be tough getting those frets perfect.

1. remove pickup
2. fill hole where pickup is, cover with paint or something.
3. put a slab of radiused ebony (maybe other wood?) that stretches to your bridge pickup
4. learn to hit the right notes
5. mark where frets would have been, just in case
6. solo so high up there Tom Morello is jealous
7. give guitar to me.

sounds about right.

EDIT: ok the last one isn't required.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yah, you may also want to extend the cutaway a bit, so you have better fret access.
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
Yah, you may also want to extend the cutaway a bit, so you have better fret access.

yeah i want to do that too. just a light one, like trim about a half inch or so off,sorta like the PRS contours.

and as good as an idea is so add on fretboard, i want to kinda just keep it simple with the pickup, haha. sorry if i'm being too difficult.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by the humanity
for pissing off a drummer, aint nothin like flipping the gears in his bass pedal when he's in the bathroom.

How does that work, now?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
oh, you can switch it around the gears just right so he pops himself in the shin.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
How does that work, now?

tighten/loosen the springs so it's harder/easier(but less volume) to hit the bass. or if he has two you could tighten one and loosen the other
Quote by Steve46

Quote by the humanity
oh, you can switch it around the gears just right so he pops himself in the shin.

That's awesome. I don't see any gears that would be flippable on either of my pedals though. Do you mean switching the chain to the other side or something?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
That's awesome. I don't see any gears that would be flippable on either of my pedals though. Do you mean switching the chain to the other side or something?

I don't know, the guitarist did it.

that sounds about right.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

to be honest, you going to get an extra 3 frets and then say i need more frets. If you think there is not enough frets, there will never be enough frets
Which is why the knuckle slide is probably his best best, you're gonna get the highest notes you can with that.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

I'm sure that on one of Uli Jon Roth's Sky guitars there are frets that are on the pickups, just to let you know.
On one of his Sky guitars, he has 42 frets. I think you should try to buy a plain, metal and flat pickup cover and but a bit of fret wire to make your own frets on it. How many more frets are looking to get? 2, 5, 9? You really need to decide how many more you want. One last thing, what make of guitar do you use?
Yeah... UJR is ridiculous.

I had an idea for an extended range guitar where there was an adjustable neck pickup under the fretboard at the 24th fret (so that the board could keep going uninterrupted), but I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it so that it doesn't suck.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
you have totally intrigued me with this. I would say get a metal pickup cover for the neck. Then weld 3 stainless steel frets to it. Only problem though is stainless is generally hard to weld. good luck with this. cheers
if he was going to do it, I would suggest a thick wooden pickup cover with holes drilled out for the pole pieces.
Use a timble like Bumblefoot does?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Just thought of this, if you go through with this, you may want to direct mount your pickups, as the movement might be too much when fretting
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by ice condition
i play lead for my band, and while i bust out my theory-lacking random-note finger-burning kerry king solos, i often run out of space on my fretboard, because, well, i mvoe around too much, and i end up playing on the neck pickup. only problem is, theres no frets, so it's kinda only like one single note for the whole space. is there any way i can make my neck pickup fretted? so i can go up another few steps.

... or you can learn some theory and technique to make your solos sound good rather than relying on speed and fret count.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+