i created a similar thread a while back but back then my band was primarily indie style, we've changed loads since then, swapping round a few members etc.

So, ide want to be able to get a nice arctic monkeys/bloc party type tone, but more importantly a really beautiful clean sound. Would getting an amp with nice cleans then getting a nice pedal (i was thinking of a Rat) be the way to go? The last thread seemed to support the Laney VC-30 but ive heard that its cleans arent that great, is this true?

My budget is now around £400 max.

Ide need to be able to gig with it too.
I would get a Laney and use the amp's drive. They are great for those levels of gain.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Roland Jazz chorus? Not sure how much those go for though.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
It depends, if you're using cleans like 80%+ of the time than I would say Roland JC-120 with something like a rat. But if you want it more balanced between a good clean tone and good overdriven sound than maybe something like a VC-30 would be better.

Overall its amazing clean and mediocre overdrive vs. good clean and good overdrive.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Actually it might have been the VC-15 i heard breaks up at higher volumes. So the VC-30's capable of nice sounding cleans then? i dont want like a trebley, bitey clean i want a really mellow, soft clean. If that makes sense?

At band practice we rent a studio and i use an AVT 50H which is a solid state halfstack but the cleans sound really good, especially with a touch of reverb. Does anyone know how the VC-30 would compare to the AVT? I know its a Solid State halfstack but it really does sound pretty good...
Hey man, if it sounds good to you, don't let anyone tell you otherwise......

Except for us! Just kidding. But I think that either the 30 or 15 would be great for you. I just don't know how clean a 15 watt amp will stay when playing with a drummer. So, all in all, I'd go with the 30. Or go try both yourself....see which one you like better.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Vox?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by LaidBack
I just don't know how clean a 15 watt amp will stay when playing with a drummer.

It won't stay clean. It sounds better breaking up than clean, but that's just my opinion. The cleans are good, but not spectacular.