Learning and listening to his music. As far as the physical end and all the specs and stuff goes, that was from trying to fin differences between two nearly identical guitars. Five years of lessons probably also helped.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 30, 2009,
For me, the single most helpful event in my years was..

I started to take lessons after trying to teach myself for several years.
After 3 lessons I learned the Pentatonic Major and Minor Scales.
That provided LEAPS AND BOUNDS of improvement in understanding/learning/playing.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I just figured that if other people could do it i could too. I play better than a lot of people that took lessons as long as i'm self taught now. Listening to truly great bands made me want to be good and i just strived my ass off to do so.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
It was lessons for me. I got a teacher who really started to teach me theory and I became in the language we call music. I can't speak well, but I get the job done.

My motivation to keep playing through the years was/is Frusciante and Gilmour, Jack White and Morello, Paige, Townshend, among many others that don't come to mind. those 6 pretty much all feel and produce the sounds I love and want to follow in their footsteps, making my sounds the way I want them.
Guitar musically seemed natural to me as it is far from my only instrument. I just had to develop technique.
learnin all the notes and buying guitar 411 with doug doppler
BC Rich NJ Beast transparent red, BC Rich NT beast gloss black,ESP F-100fm, OD-9,MT-2,NS-2,line 6 Spider 2 120

Late Goblin67
For me, I just had a strong passion to play.. Which led to me playing more and more, learning everything I possibly could. A real turning point in my playing came when I was 13 and decided to learn some songs off of Master of Puppets. That really set off my skills and ability to dominate the fret board.
I joined a band. That was the thing that made me really into music
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Hmm. Back To The Future made me want to pick up a guitar (Remember the scene where Marty plays "Johnny B Goode"?) And my best friend kept suggesting I should play guitar so I bought one in 2007. After I got my feet off the ground in 2008 I liked to play guitar and have kept playing since.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I credit a large amount of my learning to youtube and this site. Also, just searching around google has helped me to understand things more about the instrument.
Quote by patbuck2
I credit a large amount of my learning to youtube and this site. Also, just searching around google has helped me to understand things more about the instrument.

This.

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
i bought a guitar and i got lessons..they didnt help AT ALL..
so i started looking on the internet for lessons ..thats when i found this site which has helped me incredibly.
i started learning simple songs like blink 182 and green day..
once i felt comfortable i went on to harder and harder songs..
a lot of what i know is from UG and i can honestly say that if UG didnt exist i probably wouldnt be very good.. or wouldnt know how to play at all.
Learning scales and having ear training (learning how to recognise notes by hearing them).
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
I learned all my playing from listening to music, and figuring out songs, and reading tabs to find out what notes sound good together.

I learned all my guitar knowledge from this site, and working at a music store.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Listening to my favorite artists and trying my best to take a little from each and apply it. Youtube video lessons from Gilbert and Satch also helped me greatly. In terms of pickups, wood, and general physical aspects, just from knowledge off Google and personal experience.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
Back in my teen years, comprehending guitar equaled to getting laid more. And also, I wanted to be like Ace Frehley, Randy Rhoades.