It's the 8 ohm Hot Plate for $175 shipped. Seeing as they're going on ebay for $200+ without shipping added on yet, I thought I would bite, and if I don't like it I can sell it on Ebay for a profit. Think it was worth it, if only to test it out?
Well considering they cost over $300 new that looks like a good deal to me, as long as it is in good condition. And like you said, if you dont like it then you can just sell on ebay again. i say go for it.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Sweet, I got it from the guy and he shipped it already. Hopefully be here by the end of the week along with my new MXR 6 Band EQ.
Hooray for better tone!
If it's an 8 ohm, I shall hate you forever and curse your name.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
pm'ed you dude.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Quote by wiredisme
hate me forever!? why would you do such a thing?

Because all the eBay ones are overpriced and I can't ever seem to find a local 4 or 8 ohm model.

Hate!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hahaha, sorry buddy. I'm an avid googler and deal finder... Just type in "THD Hot Plate craigslist" (or whatever you're looking for) into google and look around, even back in the 4-5 numbers. Don't be afraid to offer the guys $40-50 less than they're selling it for, especially if it's been on there for over 2 weeks. Hope you find one soon...
Quote by wiredisme
Hahaha, sorry buddy. I'm an avid googler and deal finder... Just type in "THD Hot Plate craigslist" (or whatever you're looking for) into google and look around, even back in the 4-5 numbers. Don't be afraid to offer the guys $40-50 less than they're selling it for, especially if it's been on there for over 2 weeks. Hope you find one soon...

You don't seem to understand that the only Hotplates you tend to find on Canada craigslists are about 25 hours driving out West.

Oooooooh, Canadian. Didn't see that. Ask them if they're willing to ship, and offer to pay postage.
Are you absolutely set on getting the Hot Plate, or would you look into a Weber?
Quote by wiredisme
Oooooooh, Canadian. Didn't see that. Ask them if they're willing to ship, and offer to pay postage.
Are you absolutely set on getting the Hot Plate, or would you look into a Weber?

I'm just looking to find a local one so I can test it under the guise of buying it.

I'm trying to compare a regular attenuator or attenuator + power amp reamping setup to the straight Ultimate Attenuator reamp box that I tried out in Ottawa a few weeks ago.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm just looking to find a local one so I can test it under the guise of buying it.

I'm trying to compare a regular attenuator or attenuator + power amp reamping setup to the straight Ultimate Attenuator reamp box that I tried out in Ottawa a few weeks ago.

If you see one on the San Jose, CA CL, I'll be glad to pick it up for you & ship it.

To the TS- You stole that thing. It's a lifetime investment piece of gear, man. There's so many things you can do with it, because it has the adjustable line out. I paid $320 US for mine brand new.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
If you see one on the San Jose, CA CL, I'll be glad to pick it up for you & ship it.

To the TS- You stole that thing. It's a lifetime investment piece of gear, man. There's so many things you can do with it, because it has the adjustable line out. I paid $320 US for mine brand new.

I forgot to mention in that PM, riffhog, but I confirmed that the UA does indeed reduce the speaker load to a line-level circuit reamped through an onboard solid state power amp, so it's a reamper in a box.

Anyways, enough threadjacking for one night.

i dont mean to intrude and threadjack you man, so if you feel i have, i'm sorry and will stop

just dont wanna make a new thread

i've been looking at them on ebay as well this week
i have a 120w peavey jsx head. which hotplate is right for me?

4, 8, 16ohm?
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by thedekker
i dont mean to intrude and threadjack you man, so if you feel i have, i'm sorry and will stop

just dont wanna make a new thread

i've been looking at them on ebay as well this week
i have a 120w peavey jsx head. which hotplate is right for me?

4, 8, 16ohm?

Whichever your cab impedance matches.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Whichever your cab impedance matches.

oh man....thats where i get confused

i have the 4x12 jsx cab....
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

Quote by thedekker
oh man....thats where i get confused

i have the 4x12 jsx cab....

It'll say right on the back jackplate where you're plugged into it what ohms you need.

It's also a bit scary that you haven't accordingly matched your head impedance to the cab's yet...

Quote by bubb_tubbs
It'll say right on the back jackplate where you're plugged into it what ohms you need.

It's also a bit scary that you haven't accordingly matched your head impedance to the cab's yet...

haha ok, 16 it is then

and yes, it was matched

thanks man!

/end threadjacking
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Last edited by thedekker at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by riffhog

Yeah, I'm spending all my money on guitar gear on the grounds that "I'm investing in my future," so I'm glad I found this for a good price. What uses would I have with the adjustable line out? I'm really just looking to get my power tubes cooking.
Quote by wiredisme
Yeah, I'm spending all my money on guitar gear on the grounds that "I'm investing in my future," so I'm glad I found this for a good price. What uses would I have with the adjustable line out? I'm really just looking to get my power tubes cooking.

Reamping.

Get a cheap power amp like the Crate Power Block, run your line out to the Loop In of the Power Block and use it to amplify the attenuated signal back to whatever level you want.

It significantly decreases tone loss at heavily attenuated volumes.

Soooooo, my amp into Hot Plate set to maximum attenuation, then line out to Power Block, then Power Block to speaker?