was quierying hiwatt when sound city made its debut appearance on my screen.

any background info?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Sound City's aren't made anymore...

I know both Pete Townshend and John Enwhistle used them while in the States in about 1967-8, and that they're pretty similar to Hiwatts.
Similar to HiWatts, sexy as hell. I'd rock one

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
They are made again now, but they are NOT the same as the old ones in any way shape or form (apart from the image of them). The wiring is all different, as is the valve setups etc etc. I believe they sound very American now, but they still seem like good amps for the price.

The originals aren't all that common from what I've seen, and are rather underrated IMO.

Basically, Dave Reeves left Sound City to form Hiwatt, using the modified wiring and design of the Sound City amps - so they were very similar in character indeed. The main characteristic of them is very loud but VERY clean amps. For an example, Hendrix used a L100 MK3 on Little Wing, as his Marshall would not go clean enough for his requirements!

I have a 1973 MK4 L120, 6x Mullard EL34s run through a mid 70s FAL 2x12" cabinet I put together with Vintage 30s. I love it to bits, and the clean sounds are amazing. I'll get some sound clips sometime soon, as I've been meaning to for ages.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Last edited by Calum_Barrow at Jun 30, 2009,
theres a sound city head on GAK, that ises 6L6s or something similar i think.

opinions?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Hadn't you made a thread on this a while back, when you had GAS every 5 minutes??

And didn't I give you a sermon on why you shouldn't get the new models?

Here's your last thread on this!
www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1139134&highlight=sound+city

Here's what I told you.
Quote by greggybhoy
Don't get it - the Laney is much better, trust me.

Sound City was the name of the company that first sold Hiwatt amps but then the Hiwatt designer and Sound City had a parting of the ways, and Sound City made their own Hiwatt style amps in the 60's and 70's. The original company has been out of commission for a long time and the new range are basically cheap Chinese made valve amps. They sound nothing like the original Sound City amps or Hiwatts - despite what GAK say. They are passable in their own right, with nice cleans and nice reverb, but they suffer badly from too much fizzy preamp gain on the OD channel and their speakers leave a lot to be desired.

I'd steer clear of them. I've tried both the EL84 and 6L6 versions, and was pretty meh, especially with regards to the OD channel.

TL;DR - CRAP STILL APPLIES!
ahh i forgot about that.

im browsing for high gain british voiced stuff on a smallish budget, any ideas?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

^^ problem is i want some half decent clean tones too.

:shrugs:

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

sound city have gone out of business again
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Silver-spear94
ahh i forgot about that.

These would work.

Used Peavey Classic.
Used Marshall DSL401 combo or head.
New Bugera 1990 - depending on how modern you want it.

Can't think of many more right now but that is a start. You'll need to make do with your VS8100 for now!

EDIT: Would this be your main/only amp? If so, you could always try and sell most of your gear and get something uber sexy like an Orange Rocker 30.
Quote by steve!
sound city have gone out of business again

That would be sound control
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That would be sound control

Actually, the Arbiter Group, which is responsible for bringing back Sound City, and distributor of some other companies [such as Premier drums, which you can't find new in the UK as no one is distributing them ATM] has gone out of business.

So, I suppose you can say Sound City has gone bust again.

TS, how high of a gain do you want?
The VC15/30 can be a very good amp, but not ultra modern music.
But, since you thought you could get a Sound City that sounds as good as the old ones, check out the VC range.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Silver-spear94
ahh i forgot about that.

A Hiwatt/Soundcity is in no way a high gain amp. The most gain I've ever heard from a Hiwatt was Jimmy Page's custom Hiwatt (which was really more similar in design to a Marshall than something like a DR103), and even then, that was an overdriven Hiwatt run into another overdriven Hiwatt.

I have never tried the new Sound Citys, only the old 120 watters with the multicolored knobs and the 100 watt mk II, but they are Hiwatt-ish, meaning that they are loud and clean.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 8, 2009,
If you want high-ish gain with a British voice on a budget, and decent cleans then a Laney LC15 or 30 would be good.