Page 1 of 2
There may be a thread already, but I couldn't find it.

I watched a couple of youtube vids with this guy drumming with his ridiculously bug drunkit, and I just do not understand what the fascination with him is. He just did not impress me.
Quote by Starkie

I watched a couple of youtube vids with this guy drumming with his ridiculously bug drunkit, and I just do not understand what the fascination with him is. He just did not impress me.

maybe because I am fascinated by what a bug drunkit could be
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Starkie

His spelling impresses me
lol
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
primusfan will ban us all but
WTF is a bug drunkit?
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by SystemOfASteve
bug drunkit....

What did the bug drink?

"BOB, GODDAMMIT!! where's my beer? I had two crates of Holsten in the basement!"

Bob: "uuuuh, duur.... *burp* bug drunkit"

"what?"

Bob: "A bug... big bug... bug drunk it all..."

*pukes*
he has chromatic cymbals and toms

which means he can actually play melodies with them, that's the reason why he has so many of them....

if you didn't understand what i said, that's 12 toms and 12 cymbals...

plus the average air and floor toms and a couple (if not more) bassdrums and many other curious stuff to make more sounds, i've seen some interviews and he really put a lot of tought into it
Quote by deluxity
he has chromatic cymbals and toms

which means he can actually play melodies with them, that's the reason why he has so many of them....

if you didn't understand what i said, that's 12 toms and 12 cymbals...

plus the average air and floor toms and a couple (if not more) bassdrums and many other curious stuff to make more sounds, i've seen some interviews and he really put a lot of tought into it

Having an unnecessarily massive kit doesn't automatically make him a good drummer. I mean, look at Lars Ulrich. Or Portnoy.
Quote by webbtje
Having an unnecessarily massive kit doesn't automatically make him a good drummer. I mean, look at Lars Ulrich. Or Portnoy.

wait, are you saying that Portnoy isn't a good drummer because he has a large kit?
It's all subjective.

There are quite a few people with a "bug drunkit" as well. Do you have a name?
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, are you saying that Portnoy isn't a good drummer because he has a large kit?

No, just saying that the size of a kit and the skill of the drummer playing it are not correlated. I also don't think Portnoy is great, so just trollin', ridin' dirty.
Quote by webbtje
No, just saying that the size of a kit and the skill of the drummer playing it are not correlated. I also don't think Portnoy is great, so just trollin', ridin' dirty.

Portnoy isn't one of my favorites, either, but you have to admit he has skills.
But look at Tabla drummers, they're awesome and have ONE DRUM they drum on, so yeah I agree if you're an awesome drummer, you can make sick beats on pots and pans if you have to.
Quote by webbtje

but it takes skills to use it, using pitched percussion is a different thing, and having that huge ammount of stuff in your kit and actually knowing where everything is and actually use it takes skill too.

but it's pointless to discuss it cause you probably know more about drums than me
Quote by CoreysMonster
Portnoy isn't one of my favorites, either, but you have to admit he has skills.

Meh. His odd-timing stuff is OK, but his fills are just old, old, OLD.
People are impressed by big things. They think the fact that he plays a drumset with chromatic ****ing toms makes him talented.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
Quote by deluxity
but it takes skills to use it, using pitched percussion is a different thing, and having that huge ammount of stuff in your kit and actually knowing where everything is and actually use it takes skill too.

but it's pointless to discuss it cause you probably know more about drums than me

just because something is more difficult doesn't make it better.

I mean, I don't like terry bozzio at all, because his beats and solos bore the crap out of me. technical wankery and nothing more. of course I respect him for his awesome technical abilities, which I doubt more than 5 drummers on the planet can top, but he's not a drummer I would call "favorite". I prefer even John Bonham over him.

EDIT: just for the record, my favorite drummers are Thomas Haake of Meshuggah for difficulty and Danny Carey of Tool for feel and emotion.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
just because something is more difficult doesn't make it better.

I mean, I don't like terry bozzio at all, because his beats and solos bore the crap out of me. technical wankery and nothing more. of course I respect him for his awesome technical abilities, which I doubt more than 5 drummers on the planet can top, but he's not a drummer I would call "favorite". I prefer even John Bonham over him. :shrufor g:

EDIT: just for the record, my favorite drummers are Thomas Haake of Meshuggah for difficulty and Danny Carey of Tool for feel and emotion.

that's a whole different thing, i'm only speaking about the technical skills...

of course there would be people who thinks bonham is terrible (that's one of the main reasons why i like led zeppelin) and bozzio is awesome.

that's all

Quote by FishCream
People are impressed by big things. They think the fact that he plays a drumset with chromatic ****ing toms makes him talented.

after studying music for a while, i've found out that talent is one big fat lie
Last edited by deluxity at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by deluxity
that's a whole different thing, i'm only speaking about the technical skills...

of course there would be people who thinks bonham is terrible (that's one of the main reasons why i like led zeppelin) and bozzio is awesome.

that's all

oh okay yeah, a friend of mine is a jazz drummer and ADORES bozzio and pretty much names every rock drummer a dilletant
Bozzio is decent, he has good hand technique, very strong doubles and good interdependence and he is more of a percussionist like evellyn glennie. Also half of his drums are chromatic the other half diatonic btw.

Other drummers i like Antonio Sanchez, Sean Reinert, Ronald Bruner Jr, Jojo Meyer, Vinnie Colauita, Marco Minneman and Gavin Harrison.
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh okay yeah, a friend of mine is a jazz drummer and ADORES bozzio and pretty much names every rock drummer a dilletant

which is completely understandable, jazz gives you a whole different view on music
Quote by deluxity

which is completely understandable, jazz gives you a whole different view on music

meh, tbh I find many jazz players very closed minded, in that only jazz can give them the musical satisfaction they desire. it may onle be the jazzers I know, but they can really get on my nerves.
and to my defense I myself play alot of jazz piano, so I can relate to both sides of the argument
he is supposed to be famous for incorporating rudiments into those really fast rolls he does. whether that takes talent or not. I hate that guy. he needs like what, 4 drums for what he plays and he has like 200? ******!!!!
Quote by CoreysMonster
meh, tbh I find many jazz players very closed minded, in that only jazz can give them the musical satisfaction they desire. it may onle be the jazzers I know, but they can really get on my nerves.
and to my defense I myself play alot of jazz piano, so I can relate to both sides of the argument

in my opinion, it's pointless to discuss about it
Quote by deluxity
in my opinion, it's pointless to discuss about it

damn you and your flawless opinion! If I were a lesser man, I'd challenge that logic, but I know a genius when I see one!
Quote by CoreysMonster
I mean if he would at least GROOVE with the damn kit! he doesn't, he just wanks!

Guitarists are the biggest wankers in general (incase you said that to his face!)
Quote by FredFunk1
Guitarists are the biggest wankers in general (incase you said that to his face!)

this is true, I completely agree. guitarists are often way to self centered wankers
He's my neighbor. I win.

EDIT: But on a serious note, he is definitely technically talented but I've never cared much for his stuff either. It's innovative, but I prefer alot of other drummers. I like to compare him to Dave Weckl. He can play like a mofo but what he plays doesn't always fit the song.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jun 30, 2009,
the cop at my high schools name was Starky
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
he's so good he sucks, if that makes sense to you.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
go look up 'the black page' by frank zappa. terry bozio plays the drums for that. Then you'll see the 'big deal'

to be picked for a zappa lineup literally means you need to be exceedingly good at playing.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 30, 2009,
Page 1 of 2