I know that some people play power chords while muting the strings not being played with their index finger... like barring the strings and pressing down on the last one. My friend does this and he told me to do it but personally I can't get it... Do any of you do this? And can you give me any tips if you do?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Well, if you are playing a power chord consisting of the root note on your A string, then you want the E string to be muted, I personally mute with my middle finger...since I thought most people used their index finger to actually play the root notes...

But yeah, if you are talking about the other strings not being used (which would be the High E and B in most traditional 3 note power chords) just, the index finger would mute them easily, (unless you play power chords with your hand like, arched up, which isn't healthy for your hand)
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I play the lowest note with my pointer finger. Then I play the next note and the octave with my ring and pinky finger. It's most common that a power chord is on the E or A strings so if it's on the A string then I've kind of subconsciously developed a habit of using my middle finger to mute the E string. It's easier and kind of more fun in a way because you can strum harder.

Edit: or you can have your pointer finger hang a little up top and mute the string, but it's harder to do fast and it's easier to play the E string and get that twang sound.
There be no shelter here.
Last edited by courtkid1012 at Jun 30, 2009,
My finger naturally rests on the other strings when I make a power chord. Tips... I guess the reason it happens is because my finger is at an angle, so press the string with the tip and put the rest of the finger at a slight downward angle.
Yeah!
why is arching your hand unhealthy? Im just wondering, I play the violin and was educated to do it and so naturally transferred it onto the guitar...
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Quote by MattAnderson111
Well, if you are playing a power chord consisting of the root note on your A string, then you want the E string to be muted, I personally mute with my middle finger...since I thought most people used their index finger to actually play the root notes...

But yeah, if you are talking about the other strings not being used (which would be the High E and B in most traditional 3 note power chords) just, the index finger would mute them easily, (unless you play power chords with your hand like, arched up, which isn't healthy for your hand)

this...

how do you play your powerchords??
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by wanksta
why is arching your hand unhealthy? Im just wondering, I play the violin and was educated to do it and so naturally transferred it onto the guitar...

Well like, it'll hurt your wrist. If you arch your hand so much the High E and B strings are not muted, you will hurt your wrist eventually, I don't know why you can do it on a violin and not a guitar, but, yeah, you'll develop some kind of problem, and you won't be able to switch between chords as fast.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I play my power-chords in a somewhat odd way. I hit the root note with my index finger, and also muting the lower string with the tip of it. For the fifth and the octave-up, I use my pinky finger to barr the two strings. I was never taught to do it any other way, so it's what I picked up on.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
I play my power-chords in a somewhat odd way. I hit the root note with my index finger, and also muting the lower string with the tip of it. For the fifth and the octave-up, I use my pinky finger to barr the two strings. I was never taught to do it any other way, so it's what I picked up on.

the tip muting thing isn't strange, but i've never seen anybody barre with their pinky. i have with my ring finger, but never my pinky
I used to sort of mute the high strings with my just my palm back when I played power chords "arched up", but that was back before I realized that power chords didn't have to be just fifth chords.
I mute with my pinky, and when I play on the 5th string, I just make sure not to hit the 6th or I mute with my middle finger is thats not possible
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
i mute the high strings with my index finger..so i basically create a harmonic on the higher strings but i dont press it hard enough for the harmonics to be heard. i mute the low e string (if im playing the power chord on the a string) with the tip of my index finger..for some people its hard..its really easy for me though..dont know y. u can try that..
when im playing an A5 with the open a string as the root note..i mute the e string with my thumb.
i mainly do this so i can strum and hard and make it look cool