Hey guys, lately I'm forgetting how to play guitar, so I've decided to come back to the roots and learn all again. It's drastic, but I am determined.

I have decided to use a "martial" method to get back on the rails and make progresses as soon as possible, but.. It confuses me.

I divided the whole music subject in 4 big groups of things to learn:

1) Technique
2) Rhytm
3) Musical Theory
4) Composition

and I listed in the right place every single thing about music and guitar that came in my mind, so I came out with a list like:

1) Technique: posture sit/standing, hold picking, pick notes, alternate picking, bending, sliding..
2) Rhytm: basics of rhytm figure (rests, duration of notes), tempo, funky stuff..
3) Musical Theory: pentatonic scale, major scale, armonization, chords form, modes..
4) Composition: chords pattern, modal playing, use of 7th/9th/.. chords..

The purpose is taking, day by day, a new element of the list, practice it and eventually learn it.

Now I'm ready, the list is complete and I am going to start to practice, but a wonder came to my mind: am I making a mistake? Is this "method" too strict and will tighten my creativity or it's just academic?

What do you think guys?
i don't care how you practice as long as you have fun.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jun 30, 2009,
I guess I'm going to have fun (my playing has so downgraded that learn how to play again will be at least satisfactory).. That's not my main problem.
there's not a lot of wrong ways to practice. as long as this is a program that you'll stick to, just go with it and see how you do. but if you're the type of person who likes to make big lists and plans about their goals, and then just loses interest in a few weeks, then you need to find a different method.

if you don't play regularly for long enough, you'll never understand modes, harmonization, complex chords, etc... and you'll never build up the technique to make it all sound nice. so go with a list if you know you'll stick to it as a practice routine as well. otherwise it's pointless, besides being a list of the concepts that you know you need to practice.
Quote by electroMakumba

1) Technique: posture sit/standing, hold picking, pick notes, alternate picking, bending, sliding..
2) Rhytm: basics of rhytm figure (rests, duration of notes), tempo, funky stuff..
3) Musical Theory: pentatonic scale, major scale, armonization, chords form, modes..
4) Composition: chords pattern, modal playing, use of 7th/9th/.. chords..
What do you think guys?

Dude, if you know the words for half the stuff on that list you're streets ahead of most of the people who claim to be able to "play guitar".
See what's the problem? I remember that stuff exists but not how to use it. It's demoralizing.

Btw thank you guys, your suggestion cheer me up

(I'm sorry for the language mistakes, my english is rather poor :P)
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Start with this list as you intend, but don't be afraid to modify it. In the end it's a starting point and you'll want to make improvements.
+1

Have a look at the techniques sticky [thread]1091796[/thread] and the music theory FAQ sticky [thread]503032[/thread] as well - they should help you out in a lot of those areas and give you ideas of some other stuff you might want to look at too.
@ zhilla: ahahaha, that's EXACTLY what I've been doing this morning

@ ivan: The bald guy of the video is smart, it's a problem I noticed too some time ago: often song (expecially guitar solo) are divided into section (eg: slow emotional bending ---> tapping ---> superfast picking ---> final bending).. I personally try to mix things up, but it's hard.
I miss a point of the video.
Are that "glue" part that the guy is talking about a good thing or not?
Last edited by electroMakumba at Jul 1, 2009,