#1--What is a harmony?

#2--What does "The key of a song mean?

#3--When reading sheet music, lets say you have an eighth note. You play the note and THEN tap your foot, right?

#4--What's the difference between a melodic, harmonic, and plain old minor scale?
Last edited by Zane Chaos at Jun 30, 2009,
1. two or more different notes played at the same time

2. key refers to which chord is the "main" chord for the music in a song. Generally referred to as the root note, this chord is usually the first chord played, and/or the most played chord of the song. Even if rarely used, the music will usually resolve to the root chord. depending on what notes are used in the scale the key is derived from, the key will be major or minor.

3. that's a strange question. maybe i don't get the phrasing.

4. The difference is in the 6th and 7th intervals. In harmonic minor, the seveth note is played a half-step higher, and in melodic, the 7th AND 6th are played a half-step higher. the original purpose of this was to make the minor scale more versatile in terms of melodic resolution.

edit: some people only apply these changes when playing the scale ascending, and they play a standard minor scale when descending (i think that's the right way). this is not a strict rule in most music.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jun 30, 2009,
1. Multiple notes
2. What notes the sharps or flats are on, dictates what notes are in the scale, and what chords work with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(music)
3. No, it means you hold said note for half as long as a quarter note, so in 4/4 time, for half of a 'tap of the foot'. You still play it on the tap, if it is the first note, but you can play two in one 'tap'
4. Different notes, theres a lesson http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/harmonic_and_melodic_minor_scales.html
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
1. two simultaneously played pieces either with the same notes or different notes. think of th emelody as the continuous horizontal aspect and the melody being the vertical.

2. the key of a song is what set of notes are gonna be played throughout. its more about the spaces between the notes cause all 7 notes are in scales theyre either shaprned lowered or natural.. etc. ...stairway to heaven is in the key of Aminor. it uses mostly the notes A B C D E F G. Smoke on the water... Gminor G A Bb C D Eb F

3.if the song is in 4/4 then yes. cause your foot will hit every 1 2 3 4 and the eights are in between 1 & 2& 3& 4& if it were in... lets say... 5/8 youd be always tapping your foot.

4. a plain ol minor can be made starting with any note...lets say for example E and it has the formula W W H W W W H meaning between E and the next note is a Whole step (2 frets) ...etc. for Eminor it would be E F# G A B C D. The harmonic minor is the same thing but with a raised 7th...meaing the 7th note is raised a half step. E harmonic minor = E F# G A B C D# E. melodic minor is different ascending and descending. its the same as the minor but when ascending the scale the 6th and 7th degrees are raised and on the way down theyre lowed to its origial notes.
Quote by Zane Chaos
#1--What is a harmony?

#3--When reading sheet music, lets say you have an eighth note. You play the note and THEN tap your foot, right?

#4--What's the difference between a melodic, harmonic, and plain old minor scale?

1. 2 or more notes being played simultaneously.

2. The key of a song refers to the note the piece resolves to. If a song is in the key of C, the song will resolve to a C. (resolve basically means "sounds finished"). Contrary to popular belief on these boards, a song will not always start on the root note, so this is not a reliable way to determine the key. Actually, a song doesn't even need the root chord in it. It won't sound finished, and it will sound funky, but it's not entirely necessary, I don't think.

3. If you have an eighth note at the beginning of a measure, you'd tap your foot on the eighth note. That is, of course, if you're tapping your foot on the beat.

4. The minor scale contains the intervals WHWWHWW (which means there is a Whole tone between the first two notes, a Half tone between the second and third, etc. etc.). The harmonic minor scale contains a raised seventh degree, which was made to make the minor v chord in a minor key to a major V, making for a stronger resolution (V-i as opposed to v-i). Melodic minor contains both a raised 6th and 7th scale degrees while ascending, but the scale is played as a natural minor scale while descending.
#1--What is a harmony?

2 or more notes played at once.

The key tells you what note the music wants to resolve to and what other notes are used.

Depends on context. "THEN" is hideously imprecise anyway.
I would like to add that I think it's unnecessary to confuse people with the difference between the acsending and descending melodic minor. While it was common practice to use this technique in the er...common practice period, in a modern context, esp when talking about improvising, melodic minor simply refers to the ascending version, which can be thought of as a natural minor scale with a raised 6th and 7th, or a major scale with a flattened third.