Not specifically the name of them, but more of the name of the shape. For example, (X)Add9, (Or if moved, could be sharp or flat)

O - Fretted note
X - Deadened string

Major 7th
e------|-------|------
B---O-|-------|------
G------|--O---|------
D------|--O---|------
A----X-|-------|------
E---O--|-------|------

Dominant 7th
e---O---|------|------
B---O---|------|------
G---O---|--O--|------
D---O---|------|------
A---O---|------|--O---
E---O---|------|------

Minor 7th
e------|-------|------
B------|-------|------
G------|---O--|------
D------|---O--|------
A------|---X---|------
E------|---O--|------

7#9
e------|------|------
B------|------|--O---
G------|--O--|-----
D---O-|------|------
A------|--O--|------
E------|------|------
(I only know this one as the "Hendrix chord")
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Jul 2, 2009,
This first one is not a minor7(m7) but a major 7(M7). The second is a dominant 7(7). The third is a m7. The fourth is a 7#9.
Sig What?
he first one is a g10 chord without the third if it were on the third fret...the second is a dominant 7 chord and the third is a minor 7 chord and yes the other one is the hendrix chord or a 7th chord with a sharp 9
i think a better question is, "who in the pit has had sex?"
then "with music on?"
then "more than once?"

i for one feel left out
Last edited by achtung baby at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by darth awsome
This first one is not a minor7(m7) but a major 7(M7). The second is a dominant 7(7). The third is a m7. The fourth is a 7#9.
Yeah, that's right.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
technically the first one is a 10th chord because the highest note gives the chord its name, when saying a 10th chord you are implying the major 7th, for add chords however there is no 7th
then "with music on?"
then "more than once?"

i for one feel left out
Quote by achtung baby
technically the first one is a 10th chord because the highest note gives the chord its name, when saying a 10th chord you are implying the major 7th, for add chords however there is no 7th

There is no such thing as a 10th chords that I am aware of. There are #9s but no 10ths. Also the highest note in the first chord would be the 5th which is a chord tone and therefore does not warrant renaming, its just a different inversion.
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
There is no such thing as a 10th chords that I am aware of. There are #9s but no 10ths. Also the highest note in the first chord would be the 5th which is a chord tone and therefore does not warrant renaming, its just a different inversion.

ha ha sorry its late, ya the 10th is the third so there is no 10th chord of course, i wasnt thinking...but it is the highest note in the scale that gives a chord its name
then "with music on?"
then "more than once?"

i for one feel left out