Hi everyone in UG!

I desperately need some advice to get my first bass guitar

Ok, I'm a really mediocre guitar player, been only playing for about a few months and started pretty late you could say and bass guitar has really caught my attention because of the tunes that it can play and after some research i finally realise its true potential as a bass in a band.

Now I'm willing to spend about £200-£250, so my question is

1. Should I get a starter pack (bass , amps etc all in one) or buy individually? What kind of starter pack/individual euipment should I go for as I am only a beginner.
2. Should I buy from the internet or from the local store?
3. FYI, I love bassline from Motowns eg James Jamerson to J-Rock eg bassist from Aqua timez, what kind of bass should I look for if I want sounds like that or tone? Or I shouldn't even bother because I'm a newbie
4. Is £200-£250 a little too much to spent on a newbie?

Please don't be afraid to correct me or you want to add a little info because I'm seriously new at this and i don't even know what I'm looking for so I might miss out on some important question, please add to it

I'm really serious in getting a bass and I don't want to look like a fool and being play about by the shop keeper, so I hope you guys could help me out and I'm more than willing to give more info.

Oh btw, there's no one here in my place that could help me test out bass guitar if we were to go to the local store to test run the guitar, i just moved to a new place, so this option is definitely out, I'm on my own. hence the reason why i wanted to buy online but opinions are welcomed, im still open for suggestions

Thanks alot
Well, a Squier beginner pack is good. I've even seen some interesting Laguna ones.

But, if you want to go individual, a Fender J or P bass would be great depending on what you like. From what you've said, I would suggest a Fender J-Bass. Any cheap practice amp will do for a while, a tuner is good, but that's about it.
First, i think all of us here at the bass forum would like to point you to the sticked FAQ in the forum.

1. individiual equipment will be better, you really only need a bass, cable, and amp, and then you'll probably want a strap (if you don't have one from your guitar), some sort of case or stand or something, and maybe a pack of strings, i guess.

2. the local store will probably let you try out basses before you buy them. it can only be a good thing (unless you break one)

3. Jazz basses are very versatile (squier VM jazz will undoubtedly be recommended), or also something with 2 soapbars would be ok

4. i think spending more money on your first bass would make it easier to learn since you don't have to overcome something that's terribly uncomfortable to play, as long as you don't spend more money to get a 6 string or something like that
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Let me translate Pounds to Dollars. 250 Pounds= about 325 US dollars.

That's a great amount for a higher end beginner bass.
^googling "250 pounds in usd", you get 411.57500 U.S. dollars. But you need an amp too, which will be maybe 100ish dollars, so yeah, still about that amount for the bass.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Hey UG,
Thanks for the info so far and I can't wait to hear more

I did went into the local store today and have a look at the bass guitar, well, the options are limited coz it was a really small store, and I didn't see brands like Ibanez or Fender or Squier, it was some other brands which I can't remember, and there were like 2 or 3 used bass guitar in group, so it all comes to roughly about 8-9 bass guitar or less in total, not much selection

Well, the store didnt sell a start up kit like the one on the internet like the Ibanez IJXB190 jumpstart, so i told him that what if I want a bass kit for £200 and he showed me some bass guitar and talk briefly about getting an amp and all, that's all, so it was kinda dodgy and I didn't know if that was a good value or not, he was just randomly pointing to a few bass guitar and said that i could have this or that. so decided to ask here in UG and see what are the ways i could get aroudn with to get a bass
Well he's not a good sales person IMO maybe because he thinks I was just wasting his time which I am not

capslockisnton : sorry about that, didn't know about the FAQ and quess what, I've just read throught everything, well the important part at least. u said that i should tried out some bass, the thing is Im not even sure what to look out for a bass, so testing out could be a problem for me

Donovant22 : Erm, seems to me I'm spending a litte too much huh? Well, I could get a little cheaper but if its worth the price then why not

There's a question i wanted to ask which I couldn't find in the FAQ

What are the diff between a J bass and a P bass, is it Jazz and Precision? what are they? why are some basses has both J and P pickups? are they the same thing?

Thanks a million again
J = Jazz and P = Precision, yes.

The bodies are quite similar shape (think a strat, but bigger and slightly tweaked on each bass).

P basses come with P pickups (often only one on low end models), which are the split coil ones - they have a rock sort of tone, but can be used for a lot of things with the right EQing.

J basses come with J pickups (often neck and bridge), which are single coil - they're more suited to jazz, but I've found them good for blues and metal (when using the bridge pickup).

There's also 'specials', such as the Squier Precision Special (what I started on) which have P and J (bridge) pickups, so you get the best of both worlds.

The neck's are also different - to my understanding, J basses have thinner necks (however, my mate's has a rather wide neck) and Ps are a bit wider (again, mine is quite thin, but my other mate's is very chunky) - you're best off trying this for yourself though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would suggest humanity's sig actually if you can buy used. On P and J basses, both can be used really for any genre. Jazz basses are smoother and more jazzy (only way i can describe it) and Precision basses are pretty much the opposite of the jazz.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
he wants the passive precision sound. he should have a passive bass with a split coil.

my sig has an active bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by baz249
so you get the best of both worlds.

this made me puke.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
this made me puke.

I fail to see the problem
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by the humanity
he wants the passive precision sound. he should have a passive bass with a split coil.

my sig has an active bass.

Excuse my ignorance, but since when did the GSR200 turn active? I have a passive version and IMO that's why it's such a great beginner.
Quote by ZanaZulu8070
Excuse my ignorance, but since when did the GSR200 turn active? I have a passive version and IMO that's why it's such a great beginner.

mine is active.

what year is yours from?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
mine is active.

what year is yours from?

mine is active and i believe its an 06.

on the subject, i would suggest an Ibanez GSR200

its a great starter, im actually upgrading everything in my rig, keeping the gsr and just upgrading the pickups and preamp. i love the feel of it and its pretty versatile. my only complaint though is the string height and tweaking needed to get the action super low. but for 150 bucks (i believe thats what they go for right now) you cant really go wrong
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
i say save up a little more and buy these my friend

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_nt.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pitchblack.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_crush35b.htm

obviously buy a couple of cables, a pick and a strap.
if you do this ... this will last you a LONG time... its the best beginner set up ever (personally)
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Quote by ZanaZulu8070
Mine's a 2001.

that's why.

it's not a bad thing, I prefer active myself, but it has that sound, ya know?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

get an ibanez gsr200, its reliable and affordable and then get a 15 watt amp and guitar stand if you dont wanna shell out 100 dollars for a case. eventually you wanna upgrade the amp but the gsr200 lasts forever.

GSR200
Peavey max126
SRX475
Hartke A100
Boss ODB-3
Whatever you do, don't get any beginner pack with an SG. It may seem nice but looks may fail my boy. When you get better, that thing doesn't support you very well. And then you can't even use it for like a school jazz band thing because it's for other styles of music and can't play jazz for ****. So you need to get 2 whole different basses for the versatility you need. That thing is an effing trap. I'd go with a Fender P-bass or jazz bass. Anyway just giving you warning about the SG. It's an alright bass but it's very limited in versatility.
J.J Jolly : Thanks for the recommendation but its a little too pricey, the bass itself cost more than £200, thanks anyway

Guys, thank you so much
So most of the people here agree on the Ibanez GSR200, well it does come together in a starter pack, I think its the Ibanez IJXB190, they have amps, cables and everything in it, do you guys think its a good choice?

Oh yeah, you guys still haven't answered me if its a good idea to buy online or to go to the local store?

Some of you guys told me that I should get P bass, well just wanna ask, did the motown use P or J bass, did James Jameson used a P bass???

i guess Ibanez has the J and P bass, best of both worlds lke you said LOL
Quote by SimplyStrings
Whatever you do, don't get any beginner pack with an SG. It may seem nice but looks may fail my boy. When you get better, that thing doesn't support you very well. And then you can't even use it for like a school jazz band thing because it's for other styles of music and can't play jazz for ****. So you need to get 2 whole different basses for the versatility you need. That thing is an effing trap. I'd go with a Fender P-bass or jazz bass. Anyway just giving you warning about the SG. It's an alright bass but it's very limited in versatility.

SG is another brand of the bass guitar or is it a Initial for something? sorry for being so naive, like i said, im pretty new to this

oh and something else, is it too late for me to start bass, im 22 already and i suck at guitar like I have mention in the beginning of this thread
I believe the ibanez starter pack has the Ibanez GSR190, not the GSR200. The GSR190 is passive.
I would buy in store if you can find it in the store, and online if you can't.
SG is a style of guitar, google search Gibson SG and you'll see what it looks like, the bass version is basically that with a longer neck.
And nobody will say that you shouldn't learn bass because of your age. Go for it!
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
I believe the ibanez starter pack has the Ibanez GSR190, not the GSR200. The GSR190 is passive.
I would buy in store if you can find it in the store, and online if you can't.
SG is a style of guitar, google search Gibson SG and you'll see what it looks like, the bass version is basically that with a longer neck.
And nobody will say that you shouldn't learn bass because of your age. Go for it!

I forgot the 190, great idea!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

thanks ppl for your advice, appreciate it alot, now im still working on where to get the bass, erm if i could i might get the Ibanez starter pack, i think its pretty decent for the price and its an Ibanez LOL wondering if i should get it online coz my local store dont sell that pack
go online, why not?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ok this thread is a long time ago and now i have some latest updates....

i went to try out some bass for the first time, i went to this major music store and i wanted to get the Ibanez Gsr190 J New 2009 Electric Bass Jumpstart Pack Gio sadly they dont have it in stock, need to get online, so i ask for alternative since im there and he pointed out ESP LTD B-10 Bass Pack

From a beginners point of view, the tone was great, kinda bright and all but when i hold it, feels weird, its like the whole neck is so big, alittle too big, is it coz its called a jumbo fret?

THen he told me that he could make an individual pack for me, obviously its gonna be a little bit pricey, so

Squier Affinity J-Bass £189.99
Rocktronic 20watt amp £69.99
Gig Bag £9.99
Lead £3.00

Total price after discount = £260.00

Do u think he's ripping me off coz from this site its alot cheaper http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produ...wood-neck-.html

its the same thing right? the price differ?

and he showed me the GSR200 from Ibanez with the active amp, well there was something wrong with the bass coz that B-10 sounded a lot more powerful then GSR200 even that sales person agree with me, he said something is wrong with that bass shouldnt sound like that

are there a big difference between a jumbo fret and medium fret? coz B-10 has jumbo fret and ibanez has medium? which is easier to be played...

now im torn between 3 bass.... Ibanez, B-10 and Squier Affinity J Bass

Please help!!
Thanks
Last edited by jeremiii at Jul 22, 2009,
^You should be able to get a Squier Standard J for £189.99 or even less. If you can, go even higher and get a Vintage Modifed Jazz. I would also advise that you get a more reputable amp, perhaps a Laney RB1 or RB2?

Also, I find that it's easier to fret a note on a bass with larger (i.e. jumbo) frets, but it's all down to personal preference really.

Out of the three basses you say you're torn between, I would go for the Ibanez GSR200.

EDIT: But now you've edited your post . Why have you disregarded the Ibanez?

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Jul 22, 2009,
@EuBoat im a beginner, not sure if i can handle Vintage Modified Jazz, it would be a disappointment to all bass players LOL

and im trying to keep everything into budget, £200-£260

GSR200 is good but the one he had has problem and its the only one in store and u can see all the scratches and dents especially where the battery areas are... what kind of difference does it make anyway between passive and active, besides more power, coz it does seem troublesome, coz u need to change batteries LOL
Quote by jeremiii
@EuBoat im a beginner, not sure if i can handle Vintage Modified Jazz, it would be a disappointment to all bass players LOL

and im trying to keep everything into budget, £200-£260

GSR200 is good but the one he had has problem and its the only one in store and u can see all the scratches and dents especially where the battery areas are... what kind of difference does it make anyway between passive and active, besides more power, coz it does seem troublesome, coz u need to change batteries LOL
It was my first bass, and it's great, if a bit at the high end of your budget.

Don't bass (lolpun) your opinions of the Ibanez on one particular one you played. It was a display model, so it's always going to be a little beat up and you even said the store assistant thought it was a dud. I would still keep that as an option if I were you.

As for the active/passive question there are people on here that are far more informed than I in that particular part of the bass world, but my understanding is that with an active bass, you get more tone-shaping controls on the bass, so you can make adjustments to your sound without having to go over to your amp, which is more convenient especially in the middle of a performance.

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Jul 22, 2009,
@euboat thanks so much for your advice, would definitely keep an eye on GSR200 thanks dude...

do you think ESP is a good bass? it seems metallica basisst uses the ESP, or in fact everyone from that band uses ESP
Quote by jeremiii
@euboat thanks so much for your advice, would definitely keep an eye on GSR200 thanks dude...

do you think ESP is a good bass? it seems metallica basisst uses the ESP, or in fact everyone from that band uses ESP

From my understanding ESP basses are more for metal oriented. And dont be disuaded from active electronics because you have to change batteries, you only have to do that like every 3-6 months Also fret size (ie jumbo, medium...) has nothing to do with neck size i believe, just how big and far out the frets come out from the neck.

So far all of your choices seem win to me, so just go with what feels better.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
FAQ at the top of this page.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.