So, I've been scouring this board, various reviews and the local music store trying to select a new amp, and I've narrowed it down to either a Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix or a Vox DA10. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Vypyr. Naturally, my budget is pretty low, ~200 bucks max, so I'm looking at the 15/30 watt models. I've got a Jemini distortion pedal (DS-1/TS9, and yes, I should have bought an amp before this.)

I'm looking for a versatile practice amp and I play through headphones about 99% of the time, so I really don't need a huge amp, but I was wondering if there was any significant difference between the Vypyr 15 and 30 watt models. I'd really love the Vypyr 15 since it's so damned cheap, but I don't want to give up too much for it.

So, which amp should I get, and is it a good idea to order one online or buy one from the music shop?

Thanks for the help.
Terrible even.
vyper would be your best bet out of those, theres not much difference between the 15\30 models. buy it at the store if its the same price as as online so you can play it
The vypyr isn't worth it if you plan to have pedals, there's no point in a modeling amp if you have pedals. Save up and get a Blackstar HT-5, you won't be disappointed
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Modeling amp + Pedals =
Blackstar HT-5 + Pedals =
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I would pass on the Vypyr if I were you.

Blackstar HT-5 is great, especially for the money.
Quote by CullenT
The vypyr isn't worth it if you plan to have pedals. None of those are really. Save up and get a Blackstar HT-5, you won't be disappointed

Well, as much as I'd love to, it's REALLY necessary for me to get a new amp soon. At the moment, I have a super cheap Roland no name amp that sounds absolutely abysmal, but someone gave me one of those little digitech RP150 units that could make it sound decent enough (which made me completely overlook how bad the amp itself sounded, and thus why I bought the Jemini - very bad decision on my part, though it is a great pedal). About a week ago, the RP150 died on me, leaving me without enough to cover the disgusting sound of this amp, so now I've realized that I really need a new one.

Some very bad moves on my part, but that's where I am right now.

Oh - and also, since I don't gig and I rarely crank my amp, I don't think a tube would really be a good idea.

Edit: Did not realize the HT had a combo version.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the vypyr 15 to hold me over until I can get a good amp like that blackstar. It's not such a huge investment, so I can justify replacing it when I get some dough.
Terrible even.
Last edited by Bad Technique at Jun 30, 2009,
If you're already planning on replacing the Vypyr, you'll lose enough money on the deal from trying to flip it that you might as well have just saved for the Blackstar in the first place.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If you're already planning on replacing the Vypyr, you'll lose enough money on the deal from trying to flip it that you might as well have just saved for the Blackstar in the first place.

Perhaps, but I REALLY need an amp. And it's not like I plan to keep it for a month or two then buy a new one, I'll probably be playing it for the better part of a year, maybe more, but it will ultimately be temporary. As a college student who can't find a goddamned job, that kind of discretionary money is tough to come by - the $200 limit I'd mentioned was kind of pushing it to begin with.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the suggestions - if I could put off buying an amp then I'd definitely wait and get something better, but the amp I have now simply sounds so horrid I can't stand playing it.
Terrible even.