i think the american standard 2008 is pretty great, but is the american deluxe strat really worth a few hundred more than the standard?
I bought an American Deluxe a few years ago because the playability of it exceeded everything else in the store, IMO. They're all different, though, so if a Standard had felt like that to me I would have bought it instead. The main difference I think is the SCN pups and S1 switching system. Personally I ended up switching it all out for standard wiring and Fralin pups, so now I pretty much have a Standard with extra features.
i'm wondering about the quality/craftsmenship too. deluxe has better wood, but...how much is the difference worth?
the wood isn't that much better. Not a totally noticeable difference. For me, I prefer the standards because of their Alnico pickups, rather than the SCN pickups.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
The Deluxe is worth it for many reasons:
- Locking tuners.
- High grade wood (and anyone who can't hear or feel a difference is a ****ing moron).
- 2-piece bodies (Standards have 3-piece bodies usually, though some older ones were made with 2-piece bodies).
- Contoured heel join for better fret access.
- HSS version has an LSR roller nut for improved tuning accuracy.
- Deluxe bridge, with bigger solid steel saddles for better sustain and a pop-in arm with adjustable tension (Standard has thin bent steel saddles and a regular screw-in arm).
- Frets receive a full levelling and dressing at the factory itself for optimum set up (Standards may of course be set up by a shop, but Fender don't do it so of course they can't guarantee it).
- Most importantly of all, the S-1 switch, which doubles up your tone choices. It lets the SSS version switch to HSH at the push of a button, and it lets the HSS version switch to HHH which naturally gives an output boost too (I like to think of it as a lead boost). The S-1 switch is utter genius and it's just a shame they don't use it on more models. They used to have it on the Standards too but they got rid of it and now frankly given the price difference is so little, there's no reason to buy a Standard any more. Even if the rest of the stuff wasn't included, the S-1 switch alone is worth more than the comparatively paltry £100 or so price difference.

In fact the only thing that makes the Standard worth even thinking about is just that they come in more normal finishes. That's it, that's the only thing the Standards have over the Deluxe. But then have you seen the Deluxe in Chrome Silver with a maple fretboard? Delicious.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ agreed with the above, but what's that bit about adjustable tension on the trem arm? on my deluxe, the trem arm swings about freely when i would really prefer the screw in design which lets me leave the arm at any angle like on my standard strat.

is there some way of doing this on a deluxe?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
^ agreed with the above, but what's that bit about adjustable tension on the trem arm? on my deluxe, the trem arm swings about freely when i would really prefer the screw in design which lets me leave the arm at any angle like on my standard strat.

I don't think there is, other than getting a new bridge altogether, but pretty much everyone has to deal with a swinging trem bar at some point, so I wouldn't be bothered with it unless the actual trem system itself went all crap on you.

And I do not find the Deluxe to be better. It's practically the same guitar with better wood. A better feature but not worth the extra couple of bucks. I would change the pickups entirely on it and get some SD's so pickups really isn't an issue for me personally...
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
I bought mine for $1200 when the standards were $1000. $200 more was reasonable. It came with a strap, strap locks, locking tuners, better pickups, better bridge, better neck, polish and a cloth, and a better case. I had no problem spending $200 more for all that. But now, the American Standards are $1200 and the Deluxes are $1600. I don't know if I would spend $400 more on the Deluxe. Then again, I've never played a standard and I never even considered it. The choice was easy last year since you were getting a better deal with the Deluxes, but now it's about even and the prices are farther apart. Play both and see. I would still take my Deluxe over a Standard, but I'm not sure if that would be the smartest thing to do economically.

Quote by MrFlibble
But then have you seen the Deluxe in Chrome Silver with a maple fretboard? Delicious.

That's mine!!! It's like the hardest to find for some reason and it never gets any love until people see it.
Quote by MrFlibble
- Locking tuners.
- High grade wood (and anyone who can't hear or feel a difference is a ****ing moron).
- 2-piece bodies (Standards have 3-piece bodies usually, though some older ones were made with 2-piece bodies).
- Deluxe bridge, with bigger solid steel saddles for better sustain and a pop-in arm with adjustable tension (Standard has thin bent steel saddles and a regular screw-in arm).
- Frets receive a full levelling and dressing at the factory itself for optimum set up (Standards may of course be set up by a shop, but Fender don't do it so of course they can't guarantee it).
- Most importantly of all, the S-1 switch, which doubles up your tone choices. It lets the SSS version switch to HSH at the push of a button, and it lets the HSS version switch to HHH which naturally gives an output boost too (I like to think of it as a lead boost). The S-1 switch is utter genius and it's just a shame they don't use it on more models. They used to have it on the Standards too but they got rid of it and now frankly given the price difference is so little, there's no reason to buy a Standard any more. Even if the rest of the stuff wasn't included, the S-1 switch alone is worth more than the comparatively paltry £100 or so price difference.

In fact the only thing that makes the Standard worth even thinking about is just that they come in more normal finishes. That's it, that's the only thing the Standards have over the Deluxe. But then have you seen the Deluxe in Chrome Silver with a maple fretboard? Delicious.

What he said!
The deluxe is just plain out better, it is similar to comparing american to mexican, I mean, sure mexicans are good, but nothing compared to an american. Sure american standards are good, but nothing compared to a deluxe.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by MrFlibble
- Locking tuners.

Honestly... I prefer the more standard stratocaster affair. It does depend on the person's personal preference as to whether they want the deluxe or standard. And I guess I'm one of those people who's a f***ing moron, cause the wood difference between the standards and deluxe (unless it's a different species) really doesn't shine through all the other differences. The bridge is literally the only upgrade on the deluxe that I can appreciate personally. I'd prefer a graphtech nut over the LSR, due to retaining the looks of the guitar and having a more "natural" tone, though the difference between the two won't be gigantic. The S-1 system seems more like a "gimmick" than a usable tool, it's like the opposite of a coil split on a humbucker, and though I do love a good coil split humbucker, it doesn't work as well the other way, at least to me.

The fact is: there's still a WHOLE lot of opinion in which one is truly worth it. But, I know a lot of people who own and LOVE deluxes and I know a lot of people who own and LOVE standards, too.
Last edited by Thomme at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by dr_john
It's meant to come with a nylon insert that will allow you to set it so it's either really stiff and only goes where you make it go or that will just dampen the swing a little bit. Or just leave it out and it swings freely.

Quote by Thomme
And I guess I'm one of those people who's a f***ing moron, cause the wood difference between the standards and deluxe (unless it's a different species) really doesn't shine through all the other differences. The bridge is literally the only upgrade on the deluxe that I can appreciate personally.
Yes, you are a ****ing moron if you can't appreciate locking tuners, roller nuts (potentially), the S-1 switch to double your tone options, a better bridge, better fretwork, a 2-piece body, a contoured heel and higher grade wood which will usually resonate better, often sustain longer and virtually always weigh less.

Quote by JELIFISH19

That's mine!!! It's like the hardest to find for some reason and it never gets any love until people see it.
They're hard to find because they sell before the paint's even had time to dry. I tried getting one and I was told there was a seven month wait for that particular finish on both HSS and SSS versions. Five month wait if I got it with a rosewood fretboard. All other finishes were either available already or at most had a three week wait.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Yes, you are a ****ing moron if you can't appreciate locking tuners, roller nuts (potentially), the S-1 switch to double your tone options, a better bridge, better fretwork, a 2-piece body, a contoured heel and higher grade wood which will usually resonate better, often sustain longer and virtually always weigh less..

I prefer to think of myself as a traditionalist who would rather pay for what he wants than spend on more on something "better" that he doesn't want. I don't like the sound of the SCN pickups, I don't like contoured heels and I prefer the tradition cut bone style nuts. The locking tuners? Never really saw them as a necessity, as I don't use the trem. The bridge and the upgraded wood are the only "deluxe" appointments I'd appreciate, and even then, the wood didn't seem to make much of a difference. But, then again, I'd also have a MIM Standard or Deluxe in most cases over an MIA standard because of the more vintage appointments of the the MIM line... though there's definitely something to be said about build and part quality difference: I'd have an easier time turning a MIM into something that I truly want than I would an MIA.

also, keep in mind, some people also prefer automatic transmissions, GPS and DVD players in their cars.
Last edited by Thomme at Jul 1, 2009,
i love the deluxe's due to the nice polished/glossed headstock, beautiful rainbow/pearloid dot inlays, locking tuners. also the scn (samarium cobalt noiseless) pickups seem nicer than regular strandard strat noiseless's. plus i love the picture above ^ silver w. blue pearloid pickguard w. black knobs = most beautiful strat i've ever seen
I just bought a Deluxe for $700 (Craigslist FTW), and it is easily one of the nicest guitars I've played.

MrFlibble laid out the differences pretty well, it's just a matter of deciding whether or not it's worth it to you to spend the extra cash. I probably wouldn't have normally, but I got a great deal, and I'm glad I have a deluxe.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...