Hey guys,
I think this is an acceptable forum to put this in.

I'm just wondering if miking an acoustic guitar is acceptable for medium sized concert.
I don't have an acoustic/electric, and renting one might cause me some trouble.

So I'm just wondering if placing a mic in front of the guitar would be suitable. If so, whereabouts is the best placement?

Thanks a lot guys.
Yep, I just played a fairly large venue with a condenser on my Martin and Taylor. Just make sure to keep your guitar level in your monitors down a bit, to prevent feedback. You won't have to worry too much though because you have some space to work with in a medium sized venue.

I placed my mic closer to the back of the soundhole area, before the bridge, at a distance of about 4 inches from the body. Sounded beautiful.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: If you happen to use a dynamic rather than a condenser mic, you may have little to zero feedback problems. SM57's tend to work fairly well on dreadnaughts, atleast from my experience.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Last edited by FMNStratGuy at Jun 30, 2009,
No problem! Have fun and let me know how it goes!
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Will do.
It won't be till July 23rd, but I'll be sure to let you know!
Quote by FMNStratGuy
Yep, I just played a fairly large venue with a condenser on my Martin and Taylor. Just make sure to keep your guitar level in your monitors down a bit, to prevent feedback. You won't have to worry too much though because you have some space to work with in a medium sized venue.

I placed my mic closer to the back of the soundhole area, before the bridge, at a distance of about 4 inches from the body. Sounded beautiful.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: If you happen to use a dynamic rather than a condenser mic, you may have little to zero feedback problems. SM57's tend to work fairly well on dreadnaughts, atleast from my experience.

Pretty much +1
Yep. That's how you do it. Although the proper forum for this coulda been....I dunno....Acoustic & Classical?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray